Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > News

Old 2008-08-24, 23:17   #34
Graff

Jul 2006
USA (UT-5) via UK (UT)

22×59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Geek View Post
My encrypted M45 guess is 855E7A77. I'll say that it was reported in the 7:00 hour.
Its residue perfectly matches the fake residue calculator. Anybody that's read the last few posts and looks at the cleared.txt file will be able to find the same number, but to prevent spreading quite possibly false rumors about M45, I'll just leave it at this.
I find it unlikely that the fake residue was swapped, since there were no people here this time to swap it.
Wow. I agree that an exponent submitted in the 07 UTC hour has
a residue that matches the algorithm mentioned in an earlier message.
So the notification appeared in the 08:00 UTC report and went unnoticed
until 19:24 UTC???? Does anyone have any archived copies of the
status page to see whether it actually got posted in the 08:00 UTC
report? I guess the community isn't as observant as I assumed in
my original posting.

Graff
Graff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-24, 23:21   #35
Fusion_power

Aug 2003
Snicker, AL

7×137 Posts

Just to put this out plainly, the putative prime is NOT a 10 million digit candidate. I was keeping my mouth shut about what number it was, but now it seems someone else has seen it.

Might I suggest we see if someone can come up with a couple of good computers to do a confirmation run? We might as well since George won't be back for a few days yet.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-24, 23:59   #36
jrk

May 2008

109510 Posts

I will start a double-check on my Core 2 Duo with mprime 25.6.

It should be done in about 6 days or 2008 Aug 31 00:00 UTC.
jrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-25, 00:03   #37
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

10000101010112 Posts

I'm surprised I found something that everyone else overlooked (even if it turns out to be false, still kinda cool).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Might I suggest we see if someone can come up with a couple of good computers to do a confirmation run? We might as well since George won't be back for a few days yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
By George he's right. Thanks for the heads-up. Should I start doing a DC? Or is that being too interfering?

This new number just goes to show how unpredictable these prime really are!
I think it should be done. I'd do it myself if I had a quad sitting around. (my CPU would take ~15 days, even run on both cores, to do something of this size, so it's kinda slow...but a quad-core Intel on the other hand...)
We just might be able to finish a confirmation before he gets back, then be all ready to send him the confirmation (even though it just might turn out to be the wrong number, but hey, would you rather run a confirmation on the wrong thing or just let it sit until he gets back and organizes a double-check on what's known to be the number).
Does anybody have a Quad to run this on? I know jrk just started on a Dual and it will be quick, but a Quad would be faster and then we'd have double confirmation once jrk finishes. If you have a quad but can't figure out either my oh-so-difficult "encryption", my description, or my description below (or you just don't want to try...), I'll PM it to you.

In case anyone's wondering how I found it, I loaded the cleared.txt file into OOo Calc and looked for ones with the 5th character being 0 and the 4th being 0 or 8 (the only possible values for those positions Edit: I just realized that actually 0 isn't a possible result for digit 4, because all Mersenne prime exponents except 2 must be odd primes, and therefore their binary by definition ends in 1, so when you get to digit 4, you must come up with 8) on the entire results of the day (277 total). Three returned. One of them started with B6C (Edit: this would match if the last 4 match, but the last 1 must match for the reason shown above, so there's only 8 different possible combinations for the first three digits of the fake residue), a familiar value from the example, so I checked that first, and it fit perfectly.
This is, of course, practically impossible to be a coincidence (odds of any matching are 16^14/277=~2.6*10^14), so the only possibilities is that this is the new prime (I think so), or the real prime is somewhere in there and has a different fake residue, either swapped with this one (a good possibility), or using a different algorithm (seems quite unlikely, only way would be that a script also threw in one with the old algorithm just to confuse us).

Last fiddled with by Mini-Geek on 2008-08-25 at 00:19
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-25, 00:29   #38
WraithX

Mar 2006

23·59 Posts

Quote:
Does anybody have a Quad to run this on?
I'll PM it to you.
I have a dual quad I can run this on. Could you PM the details to me? Including program to run and options to use.
WraithX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-25, 00:34   #39
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22·3·641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graff View Post
So the notification appeared in the 08:00 UTC report and went unnoticed until 19:24 UTC???? Does anyone have any archived copies of the status page to see whether it actually got posted in the 08:00 UTC report? I guess the community isn't as observant as I assumed in my original posting.
We're all watching the Olympics.

I suspect that's why George is on vacation right now. I did that (vacation from job during Olympics) in '88 or '92.

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2008-08-25 at 00:58
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-25, 00:36   #40
Fusion_power

Aug 2003
Snicker, AL

16778 Posts

Just to keep perspective, the "proof" run actually needs to be on different software such as Mprime. It won't hurt to run it again on Prime95, but official verification will require an alternate platform.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-25, 00:54   #41
tmorrow

Jan 2004

103 Posts

For the past few primes, two independent verifications were conducted, one using the Glucas program and another by Jeff Gilchrist (not sure what program). See http://www.mersenne.org/32582657.htm.
tmorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-25, 01:17   #42
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

100001101100112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Just to keep perspective, the "proof" run actually needs to be on different software such as Mprime. It won't hurt to run it again on Prime95, but official verification will require an alternate platform.
George will also get the savefile and rerun the last few thousand iterations.

And the real verification run will need to be run on a different hardware platform, not just motherboard, but processor architecture. Mprime is Prime95 (at it's core). Glucas and Mlucas will be run on different platforms. So, with 3 different programs and 3 different hardware profiles all being used, if any 2 agree on the residual, it is a sure thing.

Last fiddled with by Uncwilly on 2008-08-25 at 01:18
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-25, 01:45   #43
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

10AB16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithX View Post
I have a dual quad I can run this on. Could you PM the details to me? Including program to run and options to use.
PM'd.
@cheesehead, I doubt that George would stop checking the forum and his job to watch the olympics, and if so, he should check it any second, since they're over, and the broadcast on NBC is about to end, too.
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-25, 01:56   #44
ATH
Einyen

Dec 2003
Denmark

22×3×5×72 Posts

Quote:
Does anybody have a Quad to run this on?
I started my core2quad Q9450 on it, its doing iterations at 18-19ms, but I use it to play too, but thats just one core.

I suggest we keep this news to this forum for now particularly the exponent, since we don't know yet if its a fake switched residue. We don't want a news article on the wrong exponent suddently :)
ATH is online now   Reply With Quote