mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2018-06-02, 21:07   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

1101101100112 Posts
Default If you were expected to work, but not expected to get a job or pay, what would be good things to do?

For a long time, I've wanted to a be student of science and math. My original goal a decade or more ago was to learn enough physics and chemistry and programming and whatnot to make a decent BOINC project. I still don't know what I'd study, but it seems like everybody everywhere is putting something into the knowledge base of humanity, and you never really know what would ultimately be found useful.

I know it'll take me multiple years to learn enough to give back to the scientific community, and I'm okay with that.

One of the things that really excited me years ago were these online collaborative programs where people would do work live on the same project. I have a picture in my head of using one of these tools as a blackboard and there'd be a teacher writing on the blackboard and I could point to the parts that are giving me trouble. Honestly, I thought tablet computers that use stylus input would be way more common now, and that the tablets would be more sensitive to input. Oh, well, I also thought that there'd be 100% text-based cell phones for poor people who couldn't afford regular cell phones. F*** the rich CEOs who can definitely afford to make that happen.

Anyway, since there are a lot of college students and professors on here, maybe you guys know of a computer program, or "human" program I could benefit from?
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-03, 08:12   #2
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

1,759 Posts

Isn't that what the GIMPS project and Mersenne forum are?
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-03, 13:39   #3
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

22·32·5·47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
If you were expected to work, but not expected to get a job or pay, what would be good things to do?
https://opensource.guide/how-to-contribute/

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-03, 14:44   #4
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

2×32×17×37 Posts

xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-03, 23:20   #5
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

350710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Thanks, I'll take a look.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-04, 03:46   #6
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

3×1,993 Posts

The section
https://opensource.guide/how-to-cont...-to-contribute
is especially important. A person who does good documentation is worth two people who write good code, because there aren't enough people doing (good) documentation in open-source land.
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-04, 04:20   #7
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101ร—103 Posts

101001001011012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
I looked at that briefly.
The last couple of years I have been involved in the development of a real world app and web interface for work (with the local Uni's Comp Sci dept.).
I can really agree that there are several things that non-coders can do contribute:
  • interface design - huge!
  • documentation (in the code and the user manual) are important
  • testing and QA (the local Uni comp sci student that was working on it for us has CP and was able to contribute).
  • interfacing with the user base and recording bugs and feature requests. (Our github had dozens of issues open at different times. A non-coder could have worked to prioritize the focus of the coders).
    • This includes initial scoping of the project at the beginning of the project (you can be a tech savvy person and do this without being a coder.)
Also, there are a number of things that people can do.
https://www.zooniverse.orgCitizen science at work. If you have a device that can interface with the website, you can help. (Nice story of one of the contributors here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanny%27s_Voorwerp).
Volunteer at a local institution (libraries, museum, etc.). There are things that tech savvy folks can do to help (setting up spreadsheets, databases, finding apps that provide solutions, setting-up websites, etc.). Here is a nice story how a volunteer 'working in the stacks' helped find the earliest evidence of an exoplanet (https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=6991).
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-04, 12:21   #8
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

3·1,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
  • interfacing with the user base and recording bugs and feature requests. (Our github had dozens of issues open at different times. A non-coder could have worked to prioritize the focus of the coders).
    • This includes initial scoping of the project at the beginning of the project (you can be a tech savvy person and do this without being a coder.)
If you can herd cats, maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Also, there are a number of things that people can do.
https://www.zooniverse.orgCitizen science at work. If you have a device that can interface with the website, you can help. (Nice story of one of the contributors here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanny%27s_Voorwerp).
Volunteer at a local institution (libraries, museum, etc.). There are things that tech savvy folks can do to help (setting up spreadsheets, databases, finding apps that provide solutions, setting-up websites, etc.). Here is a nice story how a volunteer 'working in the stacks' helped find the earliest evidence of an exoplanet (https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=6991).
Oh yeah, these are great!
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-04, 13:24   #9
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

2×32×17×37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
If you can herd cats, maybe.
Herding cats isn't that hard. No more difficult than herding chickens IME.
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-04, 15:31   #10
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2·3·1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Herding cats isn't that hard. No more difficult than herding chickens IME.
Swine can be quite challenging.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-04, 16:39   #11
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26·131 Posts

Closest thing that comes to mind is housework.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote