Old 2022-01-04, 16:48   #4423
PhilF

"6800 descendent"
Feb 2005
Colorado

10110000002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
My electrical panel has no open slots for new breakers. It would require a sub-panel, thus more $$$.
That's not a problem. As long as you know how to hook yourself up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	26352  
PhilF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-04, 18:42   #4424
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

3×23×73 Posts

Some point in the future we will pay for the air we breathe. Those installations are expensive.

Best option to reduce your energy bills is to stop using electricity for a hobby. Already in place in Europe a new concept of renewable community for domestic with league of champions. Disregard the league because you just want to cover for your energy demand increase not to decrease.
pinhodecarlos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-04, 19:50   #4425
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

101000111001002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
Some point in the future we will pay for the air we breathe.
I agree with what you are arguing. Please see this article which sums things up nicely.

The Tragedy of the commons was one of the earliest observations and considerations of early serious economic theory thinkers.

And, yet, for some reason, we still haven't learnt that there is a cost for everything (except, of course, decay, which happens naturally in any system).
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-04, 20:33   #4426
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

22×2,617 Posts
Default There is a reason I don't use propretary software...

A friend of mine shared this with me today. Apparently, his New Year was also a little bit busy...

Please see this and this and this...

Please forgive me for this, but... Fsck me!

Really? You only had one job to do, and you didn't even get that correct!!!

And people pay big money for this level of QA? Because they think they have "covered their butts with paper" and can sue someone if something goes wrong...

Linus has this (and many other things) correct... Given enough eyes, all bugs are shallow.

MOD NOTE: The discussion related to this has been spun of to it's own thread here: https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=27467

Last fiddled with by Uncwilly on 2022-01-05 at 14:36
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-04, 21:19   #4427
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

23·5·283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
Some point in the future we will pay for the air we breathe.
Some people already do, directly or indirectly.

If you are a diver you have to pay to have your scuba tanks re-filled.

Carting air up to the ISS is expensive.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-07, 13:57   #4428
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

5,791 Posts

From the "It must be a coincidence" department (my emphasis):

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ire-chief.html

Quote:
A firefighter in a small Illinois town threw his gear away in protest during a mass resignation after the town's board elected a a convicted arsonist as the fire chief.

Ten of the department's 13 firefighters quit Monday after Assistant Chief Jerame Simmons Sr. was elevated to chief of the Prairie Du Pont Volunteer Fire Department in Saint Clair County, according to Fox 2 Now.

Simmons, 41, pleaded guilty to arson more than 20 years ago when he was just 18.
<snip>
'These people feel like they have absolutely no other option,' said ousted fire chief John Rosencranz of the departed firefighters.
<snip>
In August, Rosenkranz said that the board held an 'unusual' meeting where they announced Simmons - the son of long-time director of the St. Clair County Emergency Management Agency Herb Simmons - would be appointed the department's acting assistant chief.
<snip>
Simmons' father was mayor of East Carondelet in Saint Clair County at the time of his son's sentencing, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported at the time.
<snip>
While board members have hinted that the replacement was made with good reason, they have yet to disclose those reasons to the public.

Rosencranz, who said he had served as the chief for about three years and had been with the department for 19, said the board did not give him a reason for his dismissal.
<snip>
Quote:
I remember Sam
He was the village idiot
And though it seems a pity, it was so
He loved to burn down houses just to watch the glow
And nothing could be done
Because he was the mayor's son
-- Tom Lehrer, My Home Town (1953)
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-10, 03:26   #4429
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

4,513 Posts

I was looking at a GPU on Ebay: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB GDDR5 PCI Express Video Graphics Card

Halfway down the page I found the following. What a deal!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VisSimSpItems.png
Views:	75
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	26379  
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-07, 19:29   #4430
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

2·32·137 Posts

For the Wordle fans: https://converged.yt/primel
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-10, 13:55   #4431
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

210C16 Posts

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-10, 16:39   #4432
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

73×89 Posts

Packaging a system into a purchased used case, due to case and motherboard geometry, I found I needed a SATA cable with 2 straight ends, not one straight and one 90 degree like I had in local stock. So I order a few straight SATA cables online. In 5 days from order placement the tracking shows the package is delivered to USPS and moves in 3 days from a city in Georgia I've never heard of before to my nearest USPS distribution center (a distance of ~900. miles), a mere 10. miles / 18 minutes drive away from the destination address, where it then lingers in limbo for about a WEEK. So I'm working around the issue yesterday, and find that zip tied together with the bundled front panel cables for the case is an uncommitted SATA cable with two straight ends. Buttoned up the completed system last night. Checked delivery status on the cable package this morning, which now indicates delivery today. I guess Murphy has a sense of humor as well as a law.
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-12, 16:10   #4433
firejuggler

"Vincent"
Apr 2010
Over the rainbow

2,843 Posts

I regulary read mawha/manga ( chinese/korean/japanese) comic. This one is total BS... but pretend to solve goldbach conjecture and many over. Several trope/clichรฉ in it.

https://www.readmng.com/the-overachi...k-tech-system/
firejuggler is online now   Reply With Quote