mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Math

Old 2006-08-28, 09:39   #1
Jushi

Sep 2005
UGent

1111002 Posts
Default NFS reference

Hello, does anyone of you know a good reference about the workings of the Number Field Sieve? I know more or less the mathematical background from Henri Cohen's "A course in computational algebraic number theory". But I think that his section on NFS might be a bit outdated, and it doesn't really say how to do the sieving in practice. For example, on this forum there were discussions about line sievers versus lattice sievers, and I have no idea what this means. Thanks in advance.
Jushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-28, 10:50   #2
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

22×5×373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jushi View Post
Hello, does anyone of you know a good reference about the workings of the Number Field Sieve? I know more or less the mathematical background from Henri Cohen's "A course in computational algebraic number theory". But I think that his section on NFS might be a bit outdated, and it doesn't really say how to do the sieving in practice. For example, on this forum there were discussions about line sievers versus lattice sievers, and I have no idea what this means. Thanks in advance.
See:

Lenstra & Lenstra (eds)
The development of the number field sieve
Springer Verlag LNM #1554
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-28, 12:07   #3
jasonp
Tribal Bullet

Oct 2004

2×3×19×31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jushi View Post
I know more or less the mathematical background from Henri Cohen's "A course in computational algebraic number theory". But I think that his section on NFS might be a bit outdated, and it doesn't really say how to do the sieving in practice.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nfs-hacks/message/1

Several of the introductory papers there have worked examples of NFS factorizations

jasonp
jasonp is offline   Reply With Quote