Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2013-05-04, 16:25   #1
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

7·13·109 Posts
Question Java based programme for public computers?

Whilst sitting here at a public terminal (yes, I have taken the appropriate precautions when logging in), I was idly wondering if there was any DC program that I could run to help GIMPS or other project.
I searched the forum for: Java public. Figuring that would find any prior discussions. It seems that there have been no serious discussions about this. It could also apply for those situations where one is not allowed to 'install' or run outside software. As long as a program runs within a browser, it should 'fly under the radar'.

Here are the issues that I see:
1) It should be a relatively small prog written in Java, MS Silverlight, or other such. If it is too large, the d/l might be an issue.
2) It should not be a big memory user. The variable nature of the machines that it would be run on makes this an issue.
3) It will likely need a separate server to orchestra the work. PrimeNet is not well set for mini-assignments.
4) The assignments have to be on the mini-size range and easily 'chunkable', with only small upstream feedback. This basically rules out LL tests and others that generate large interim files.
5) Since these are 'public' machines, there should be no user accounts; all of the work will be anonymous.
6) An assignment ID system (and IP logging) will be needed to protect the integrity of data from anon machines.
7) Further requirements: no installation required, no files written to local disk, and other such 'well behaved app' ideals should be adhered to.

To this end, it seems that TF work might qualify well, especially the LMH work that PrimeNet hands out normally. Assignments are often under an hour. TF can be broken down into smaller chunks (small k ranges). A small message can relay the intravel done. Assignments on a single exponent can be partially returned. If a user can indicate that the machine will be running for several hours (like a machine at one's work), a full bit level can be handed out.

Another idea would be some variant of Mr. Alpern's wonderful tool that is fed assignments for the Factoring DB. There are lots of little jobs that show up and some larger ones that could be worked on over time by multiple machines.

Feedback?
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-04, 19:55   #2
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

10,861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Whilst sitting here at a public terminal (yes, I have taken the appropriate precautions when logging in), I was idly wondering if there was any DC program that I could run to help GIMPS or other project.
I searched the forum for: Java public. Figuring that would find any prior discussions. It seems that there have been no serious discussions about this. It could also apply for those situations where one is not allowed to 'install' or run outside software. As long as a program runs within a browser, it should 'fly under the radar'.

Here are the issues that I see:
1) It should be a relatively small prog written in Java, MS Silverlight, or other such. If it is too large, the d/l might be an issue.
2) It should not be a big memory user. The variable nature of the machines that it would be run on makes this an issue.
3) It will likely need a separate server to orchestra the work. PrimeNet is not well set for mini-assignments.
4) The assignments have to be on the mini-size range and easily 'chunkable', with only small upstream feedback. This basically rules out LL tests and others that generate large interim files.
5) Since these are 'public' machines, there should be no user accounts; all of the work will be anonymous.
6) An assignment ID system (and IP logging) will be needed to protect the integrity of data from anon machines.
7) Further requirements: no installation required, no files written to local disk, and other such 'well behaved app' ideals should be adhered to.

To this end, it seems that TF work might qualify well, especially the LMH work that PrimeNet hands out normally. Assignments are often under an hour. TF can be broken down into smaller chunks (small k ranges). A small message can relay the intravel done. Assignments on a single exponent can be partially returned. If a user can indicate that the machine will be running for several hours (like a machine at one's work), a full bit level can be handed out.

Another idea would be some variant of Mr. Alpern's wonderful tool that is fed assignments for the Factoring DB. There are lots of little jobs that show up and some larger ones that could be worked on over time by multiple machines.

Feedback?
ECMNET is an obvious contender for such a project. Task range in time from a minute or two upwards and in size from a few megabytes upwards.

Disclaimer: I run an ECMNET server --- dis is my claim anyway.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-04, 22:34   #3
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

11,657 Posts

In cases where one is allowed to run binaries but not install anything, consider running compiled code stored on a flash drive.

If the system is configured to disallow running of any .exe directly but does allow browsers to run plugins, would it be possible (and if so, how involved) to take a compiled binary and package it as a 'personal browser plugin'?
ewmayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 04:28   #4
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

7·13·109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
In cases where one is allowed to run binaries but not install anything, consider running compiled code stored on a flash drive.
The machine that I was on, and another that I used a while back, where basically a web terminal. They were locked down with IE available and nothing else. The down-stream programme size is less of an issue than the upstream size, IMHO.
Old 2013-05-05, 08:11   #5
NBtarheel_33

"Nathan"
Jul 2008
Maryland, USA

100010110112 Posts

Perhaps factorization jobs?
NBtarheel_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 13:59   #6
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

7×13×109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBtarheel_33 View Post
Perhaps factorization jobs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
That is a good idea. I was thinking in terms of a 'Fire and Forget' set-up. Having a server hand out assignments and collect the data returned with minimal interaction would be good.