mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > Factoring

Old 2022-06-10, 21:05   #12
VBCurtis

"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

2·3·11·83 Posts

CADO is state of the art for GNFS, and should be used when possible.

So, OP: get that built, get the updated params files from the CADO subforum, and you're all set!
VBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-27, 10:26   #13
BigNumberGuy

May 2022

3×7 Posts

After messing with a billion things I finally got it to work (well, kinda, there's no errors so far).
BigNumberGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-12, 23:26   #14
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
Not U. + S.A.

22·11·53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdH View Post
If you're running linux, the best way is to use git.* You also need GMP, but I suggest you install that via the repository, if possible:

sudo apt install libgmp-dev

Then use:

git clone https://gitlab.inria.fr/cado-nfs/cado-nfs.git

Move into the cado-nfs directory and use:

make

You might be prompted to install cmake - choose yes.

The compilation of everything takes a few minutes.

When it finishes, it's a good idea to run:

make check

This will also take a few minutes, but should ensure all compiled well.

After everything finishes, you can run a small example that's shown in the README file.

If you want to wait until I test the current version on One of my Raspberry Pi's, it is underway right now. I'll edit this post when it finishes to let you know if it still works.

* I believe you can download archived versions and decompress them, but I haven't ever used that method. If you want to try that, look for the download links near the "clone" button.
This took a while. Whoever wrote it all needs to be commended. It will take me a lot of time to grasp all the parameters.

The simplest test ran fine. The ones below in readme would not. The "http" lines threw me until I saw the address was on my machine. I tried one of the examples farther down. I had to remove these. I left -slaves alone. The --client-threads, I changed to 6.

I cannot seem to find any command-line references anywhere.

My current assignment from Kamada is a C129.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-13, 00:03   #15
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

101001101011102 Posts

Well done. Sincerely.

Few appreciate how hard the geeks work just making friends with the new kit. Sometimes hw,. Sometimes sw.

Usually both.

It is not easy working deep down.

But I find it to be a great deal of fun.

Your 0.001 of a mm might vary...

chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-13, 03:01   #16
VBCurtis

"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

125468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
[...] The ones below in readme would not. [....]

It's hard to help you when you give such vague information. Exactly what would not work "below in readme"? What did you try, and what was the result?

"any command line references" is also really really vague. Do you mean generic terminal reference material for linux? For CADO command line flags? For something else you tried to do but didn't mention? If you mean CADO flags, find the parameters folder and open the c90.params file; that contains explanations for many things about CADO use and flag use.

Tons of linux commands have built-in help. invoke a command with -h after the command and help text usually comes up with guidance for how to use. Or put "man" in front of a command, such as "man grep", and the instruction manual comes up for that command.

As for using CADO, expect a new thread in the CADO-NFS subforum in the next week or so with 2022 params files, which make CADO solve GNFS jobs much faster than the factory settings. The forthcoming 2022 files should be 5-15% faster than the old ones, and I'll have them a bit better organized too. Meantime, the factory settings are still faster than YAFU most of the time because CADO is much more advanced than GGNFS.

Last fiddled with by VBCurtis on 2022-08-13 at 03:02
VBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-13, 04:01   #17
mathwiz

Mar 2019

3·101 Posts

Quote:

If you are running Linux, and have successfully built the CADO binaries, the simplest way to run it is:

./cado-nfs.py YOUR NUMBER

If that doesn't work, paste the output of what you're doing and we can try to debug more.
mathwiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-13, 11:55   #18
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
Not U. + S.A.

1001000111002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCurtis
Exactly what would not work "below in readme"? What did you try, and what was the result?
Those were sample tests I tried. Specifically, it was the use of "http" addresses. I gleaned what I needed to start with.

Quote:
"any command line references" is also really really vague.
OK, switches, flags, or whatever a person wants to call them. msieve has -n, -np, and so on. Most console programs have them, but not all.

Quote:
If you mean CADO flags, find the parameters folder and open the c90.params file; that contains explanations for many things about CADO use and flag use.
I found it. It will take a bit of reading. I will need to look at it on a larger monitor though. W10, Notepad++.

Quote:
As for using CADO...
I seem to be missing something. Look at the attached image below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220813.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	27189  
Old 2022-08-13, 13:19   #19
charybdis

Apr 2020

857 Posts

Quote:
I seem to be missing something. Look at the attached image below.
Looks like polynomial selection and sieving went smoothly, but there was a crash in linear algebra. I've never seen this particular crash before. If they haven't been wiped yet, could you post the /tmp/cado._zpf6qi_/c130.bwc.stdout.1 and /tmp/cado._zpf6qi_/c130.bwc.stderr.1 files?

I highly recommend adding workdir=/path/to/some/permanent/directory to your CADO invocation (edit: for future jobs). Otherwise the files all get put in a temporary directory, and there's a risk that you lose the factors if the machine reboots.

Last fiddled with by charybdis on 2022-08-13 at 13:20
charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-13, 16:01   #20
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
Not U. + S.A.

22×11×53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charybdis View Post
Looks like polynomial selection and sieving went smoothly, but there was a crash in linear algebra. I've never seen this particular crash before. If they haven't been wiped yet, could you post the /tmp/cado._zpf6qi_/c130.bwc.stdout.1 and /tmp/cado._zpf6qi_/c130.bwc.stderr.1 files?

I highly recommend adding workdir=/path/to/some/permanent/directory to your CADO invocation (edit: for future jobs). Otherwise the files all get put in a temporary directory, and there's a risk that you lose the factors if the machine reboots.
The two files are attached. It was a bit of a fight. I had to archive them as zip files.

Is this "workdir" something I have to run every time or can it be made permanent? If so, where do I put it? I suppose I could put it in a bash file...

For the past few hours, I have been working on a dual-boot on my i7, Ubuntu and Windows 10.. Mostly because it has a 32" monitor attached. It was a learning experience and I had to repeat several steps. I have not installed CADO-NFS on here yet. It is upcoming. I want to see if the error duplicates. When I saw the boot "grub" I knew I was successful.
Attached Files
File Type: zip c130.bwc.stderr.zip (1.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: zip c130.bwc.stdout.zip (11.3 KB, 9 views)
Old 2022-08-13, 17:03   #21
charybdis

Apr 2020

11010110012 Posts

Quote:
The two files are attached. It was a bit of a fight. I had to archive them as zip files.

Is this "workdir" something I have to run every time or can it be made permanent? If so, where do I put it? I suppose I could put it in a bash file...

For the past few hours, I have been working on a dual-boot on my i7, Ubuntu and Windows 10.. Mostly because it has a 32" monitor attached. It was a learning experience and I had to repeat several steps. I have not installed CADO-NFS on here yet. It is upcoming. I want to see if the error duplicates. When I saw the boot "grub" I knew I was successful.
Workdir sets the directory where CADO will put all the files related to its current job. You should make a new one for each job and give it a helpful name, e.g. if you were factoring the 139-digit composite from near-repdigit 32224_176 you might want to name the directory [path of your choice]/c139_32224_176.

When you're finished with a job and you've submitted the factors wherever you need to, you can delete the workdir directory if you like, maybe keeping the log and parameter files.

As for your current job: for some reason the middle step of linear algebra has failed to do what it's supposed to do. If no-one here has a quick explanation then this ought to be reported to the CADO developers via their mailing list. My immediate advice: if /tmp/cado._zpf6qi_ still exists, then copy it to a permanent directory so that your system doesn't decide to wipe it. In fact, I would make two copies: one that will remain in its current state for the purposes of reporting the error and answering any questions the CADO developers may have, and a second for attempting to complete the factorization.

Sieving a bit more will produce a different matrix for the linear algebra step and it's possible you won't get the crash again. To do this, run

Code:
./cado-nfs.py [your number] workdir=[directory where you copied the contents of /tmp/cado._zpf6qi_] tasks.sieve.rels_wanted=25000000
charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-13, 22:09   #22
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
Not U. + S.A.

44348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charybdis View Post
Workdir sets the directory where CADO will put all the files related to its current job. You should make a new one for each job and give it a helpful name, e.g. if you were factoring the 139-digit composite from near-repdigit 32224_176 you might want to name the directory [path of your choice]/c139_32224_176.

When you're finished with a job and you've submitted the factors wherever you need to, you can delete the workdir directory if you like, maybe keeping the log and parameter files.

As for your current job: for some reason the middle step of linear algebra has failed to do what it's supposed to do. If no-one here has a quick explanation then this ought to be reported to the CADO developers via their mailing list. My immediate advice: if /tmp/cado._zpf6qi_ still exists, then copy it to a permanent directory so that your system doesn't decide to wipe it. In fact, I would make two copies: one that will remain in its current state for the purposes of reporting the error and answering any questions the CADO developers may have, and a second for attempting to complete the factorization.

Sieving a bit more will produce a different matrix for the linear algebra step and it's possible you won't get the crash again. To do this, run

Code:
./cado-nfs.py [your number] workdir=[directory where you copied the contents of /tmp/cado._zpf6qi_] tasks.sieve.rels_wanted=25000000
I could use this for each new job from the start, unless CADO insists on using /tmp. I take it the path from / would have to be fully resolved. if I could start it with "/home" it would make for a shorter command line.

They still exist because the two I sent are on a USB drive. I had to transfer them from the Xeon to this (i7) system. There are only two folders in /tmp which names begin with "cado." They are about 1.5GB total. Storing them on a backup device would not be a problem. One of the 64GB USB Sandisk's I have would work fine. What all the other folders and files in /tmp are, I am not sure. Something Ubuntu created and uses, if I had to guess.

I am re-running the assignment on this system, not where the first attempt was done. Time will tell.