mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware

Old 2021-09-15, 19:13   #78
lavalamp

Oct 2007
Manchester, UK

101010100102 Posts

The oldest drive I have in use right now is a 2TB Hitatchi (before they renamed to HGST) with 86000 hours on it and not a single error. I did retire it, but then I un-retired it for Chia.
lavalamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-16, 03:28   #79
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

24·13·47 Posts

Usually the contrarian, haha...
I really do like Seagate portable drives (like the Slim, and the series). The main reason I like them better than their competitors (like Toshiba or the locally made WD which had a lot of advertising in the past years since they opened the factory in Bangkok), is the fact that they contain a "normal format" disk inside. Yeah, I know this is quite "geeky" and not the thing normal user looks for, but I "randomly" bought few portable disks some years ago and found out some of them (different brands) are "beating" (in speed, transfer rate, etc) the usb adapters our factory was producing at the time (for a third party customer; we do not make HDDs, but recently we started making SSDs for industrial use, again, not our design), so I was curious what ICs they use and how they made the USB interface, therefore I opened them. Then I found out that, as opposite to WD's Passport line and few others, which have a single PCB on which the HDD and all circuitry is attached (i.e. they created an "all in one", "custom" hard disk effectively, obviously for miniaturization reasons), the Seagate was using just a normal, internal HDD, and had a USB-to-SATA adapter, separate, on a very small PCB.

Guess what? I bough few more Slims, and ever since, the HDDs and the adapters live separate lives. The HDDs were inserted into different computers and laptops around the house, to be used as backup disks, or even as system disk, while the adapters, few were destroyed in the "investigation process" , but I still keep few, which work extremely well as usb-to-sata adaptors for any other disks that I happen to need to plug into the computer without turning it off. They even work with 3.5 inch disks (which require more power, but still in the USB 3.0 limit).

If I remember in the evening when I reach home, I will put a photo or two.

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2021-09-16 at 03:50
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote