mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > kriesel

Old 2022-08-08, 15:52   #89
axn

Jun 2003

3×1,801 Posts

Code:
isnearp(n)=my(d=digits(n),m=0); for(i=1, #d\2, if(d[i] != d[#d-i+1], m++)); (m==1)

c=0; forprime(p=10^8,10^9, c+=isnearp(p)); c
I think I know why your count is double the actual. A given near-palindrome can be created by "damaging" two different palindromes.

For example, 108446801 can be generated by changing digit 4 of 108646801, or digit 6 of 108444801. Two possible origins ==> double count.
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-11, 04:48   #90
Rubiksmath

Sep 2022

2×5 Posts
Default CUDA versions and usage clarification

This question is not easy for me to explain, but basically I am not quite sure with all the different program versions and CUDA versions which programs I can run and how I can do it (not really, as I said hard for me to explain). Currently I have CUDA toolkit 11.2 isntalled on my system, running the mfaktc version which is for 11.2 just fine.

I want to run something like CUDApm1 as well, however after looking at the reference material (which is very helpful), I still have a few questions that I am not sure of.

So I have had a look at the downloads for CUDApm1 (am i looking in the right place? I couldnt expressly find a good download mirror or anything in the reference material or on mersenne.org) and it looks like the most recent windows CUDA version is CUDA 10, and while i have CUDA 11.2 on my system judging from what I can tell with the reference material, it looks like I could still run it. The reference material asks me to get the appropriate version of the CUDA files from the link, but how do i know which ones are appropriate? yes I have CUDA 11.2 installed on my system but the app seems to only be compatible up to CUDA 10. I have read about only needing certain DLLs and stuff, what DLLs do i need and exactly where do I put them? (i have also read that you can use gpuowl for P-1, which i think I have but again i am not 100% sure about the CUDA versions and stuff)

Sorry if this seems a bit obvious, I am the sort of person which for whatever reason always has a couple questions and needs a bit of clarification.
Rubiksmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-11, 05:28   #91
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

22·13·131 Posts

CUDAPm1 is not being maintained, so builds for recent CUDA levels are unlikely. CUDAPm1 has reliability issues, and exponent limits lower than Gpuowl.

Gpuowl uses OpenCl 2, not CUDA, & so can run on both NVIDIA and AMD GPUs. It was actually originally developed on AMD Vega GPUs on LInux.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2022-09-11 at 05:33
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-12, 10:52   #92
Rubiksmath

Sep 2022

128 Posts
Default I clearly messed up with gpuowl somewhere

Ive had GpuOwl installed for over a year, I only ever did PRP with it though. Decided to give P-1 a go and uhh I dont know what to say other than it just plainly ignores all the assigned worktodo.txt lines copied from PrimeNet (one time it said some weird error like error: line must end with newline character), and if I try run it manually using -pm1 <exponent> -B1 <b1> etc, it just ignores it, outputting what I just typed in and then ignoring it and then proceeding to check worktodo.txt (and then ignore each and every line of that too). anyone know if ive missed a step somewhere or accidentally uninstalled/not installed something I was supposed to?
Old 2022-09-12, 11:58   #93
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

22·13·131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubiksmath View Post
Ive had GpuOwl installed for over a year, I only ever did PRP with it though. Decided to give P-1 a go and uhh I dont know what to say other than it just plainly ignores all the assigned worktodo.txt lines copied from PrimeNet (one time it said some weird error like error: line must end with newline character), and if I try run it manually using -pm1 <exponent> -B1 <b1> etc, it just ignores it, outputting what I just typed in and then ignoring it and then proceeding to check worktodo.txt (and then ignore each and every line of that too). anyone know if ive missed a step somewhere or accidentally uninstalled/not installed something I was supposed to?
Which version gpuowl? V7.x does not offer standalone P-1-only. You need V6.11 for that.
All worktodo entries must be followed by a newline character in gpuowl:
(work line)(newline)
(work line)(newline)
<EndOfFile>
not
(work line)(newline)
(work line)<EndOfFile>
I used to run ~40 manually assigned P-1 per day per Radeon GPU in gpuowl V6.11-380 with no problem, either as issued by the manual assignment web page or each prefixed with specific bounds eg B1=700000,B2=2600000;
See https://www.mersenneforum.org/showpo...8&postcount=22 for more detail.

Prime95 v30.8 has a better more efficient P-1 algorithm now, capable of efficiently reaching much higher B2, so it may be better to use that instead.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2022-09-12 at 12:04
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-13, 05:02   #94
Rubiksmath

Sep 2022

2·5 Posts

Ah, well I am using V7.xx, I dont remember where I got it from and how I compiled it last time but thanks, ill try it.