mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Math

Old 2006-08-16, 02:30   #1
Dougy

Aug 2004
Melbourne, Australia

9816 Posts
Question Alternate means of primality testing

Sorry I haven't been around for a while - I've started a PhD in combinatorics and don't have much time to do things like this.

From my experience of primality proving, the tests that I have seen boil down to one of two things:
- Trial division.
- Proving that phi(n)=n-1, by proving that the multiplicative group Z_n has order n-1.

Do there exist primality tests that are essentially different? If so, could you please provide an example?

Note: I do not care about efficiency here.
Dougy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-16, 04:51   #2
bearnol

Sep 2005

127 Posts

Well, I suppose there's always Wilson's Theorem - you did say you weren't concerned with efficiency!
J
bearnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-16, 09:03   #3
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

101001100101102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
Sorry I haven't been around for a while - I've started a PhD in combinatorics and don't have much time to do things like this.

From my experience of primality proving, the tests that I have seen boil down to one of two things:
- Trial division.
- Proving that phi(n)=n-1, by proving that the multiplicative group Z_n has order n-1.

Do there exist primality tests that are essentially different? If so, could you please provide an example?

Completely factor, using a method not equivalent to trial division, such as Ferma'ts method.

Ok, this is a cheeky answer, exploiting your overprecise specification. Here are a few more.

- Sieve of Eratosthenes.
- Find the positive values of a certain notorious polynomial in 26 variables.
- Miller-Rabin to enough small bases. Exactly how many depends on whether anyone has proved ERH yet.

Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-16, 10:27   #4
Dougy

Aug 2004
Melbourne, Australia

23·19 Posts

Thanks for your responses.

Wilson's theorem is an interesting example. Does it fit into a category I listed? I'm not sure.

By multiplying 1, 2, ..., n-1 together you're in effect trying to find two divisors of n in the list and get a zero congruence (or when n is prime, a non-zero congruence (ignoring the special case n=4)). So it's basically GCD(n,(n-1)!)=n if and only if n is composite. Arguably, this could be considered trial division.

I'm consider factorisation and the sieve method to be classed as trial division.

Your notorious polynomial with 26 variables? http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PrimeDi...Equations.html

I do not know what to think of this! Upon inspection of its proof (Jones et al. 1976) it has more perplexing ideas:

Theorem 5: If p is a prime number, then there is a proof that p is prime consisting of only 87 additions and multiplications.

This looks like a good example of a theorem that doesn't fit into one of the two categories I listed.

I'd be interested if there are other theorems people can come up with.
Old 2006-08-16, 11:14   #5
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

1D2416 Posts

Quote:

Theorem 5: If p is a prime number, then there is a proof that p is prime consisting of only 87 additions and multiplications.

This looks like a good example of a theorem that doesn't fit into one of the two categories I listed.
Please note that the numbers that are being added/multiplied are exponentially
large in (log p).
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-16, 11:46   #6
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2·5,323 Posts

Quote:
I'm consider factorisation and the sieve method to be classed as trial division.
Fair enough, though you are misusing a technical term "trial division" to describe processes which it normally does not.

A much better phrase, IMO, would be something like "exhibit a divisor other than 1 and p", which covers all factorization methods and the SoE.

Paul
Old 2006-08-16, 11:50   #7
Fusion_power

Aug 2003
Snicker, AL

7·137 Posts

Translating some of the above into useful language. There are several methods of proving a number prime but at a cost in time that is unacceptably large. I can show you a factoring method that is different from any of the above but using it to factor a 10 million digit number would take longer to run than the universe has been in existence.

Fusion
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-16, 11:51   #8
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

1064610 Posts

Quote:

- Trial division.

ECPP.

Paul
Old 2006-08-16, 11:57   #9
akruppa

"Nancy"
Aug 2002
Alexandria

2,467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
ECPP.

Paul
Granted, it doesn't work in Z/ZN, and neither do P+1 primality proofs. But both fall into the class of "determine order of some finite group, and voila it's a prime," just like P-1 proofs.

What about APR-CL? I know little about it, but afaik it uses the theory of algebraic number fields rather than the structure of a finite group.

Alex

Last fiddled with by akruppa on 2009-05-30 at 09:31
akruppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-16, 16:18   #10
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2×5,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by akruppa View Post
Granted, it doesn't work in Z/ZN, and neither do P+1 primality proofs. But both fall into the class of "determine order of some finite group, and voila it's a prime," just like P-1 proofs.

What about APRT-CL? I know little about it, but afaik it uses the theory of algebraic number fields rather than the structure of a finite group.

Alex
I was answering the question he asked. As you say, P+1 also doesn't fall into his Z/ZN classification.

Perhaps he's learning how to phrase his question.

Paul
Old 2006-08-17, 00:18   #11
Dougy

Aug 2004
Melbourne, Australia

23×19 Posts

Yes, I agree that my two categories are rather loosely defined. Mostly where these theorems fit is a matter of opinion. I must admit my ignorance with elliptic curves, so I cannot make a valid comment on ECPP.

I think APRT-CL is a good example, it looks fundamentally different.