mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Miscellaneous Math

Old 2009-09-25, 01:25   #1
Dougy

Aug 2004
Melbourne, Australia

23×19 Posts
Default The journal of everything

This is perhaps the worst journal around: Philica, colloquially called "the journal of everything." This has become a running joke with my supervisor -- "you should submit that to the journal of everything."

Curiously though, it is a peer reviewed journal and the reviews are made public.
Dougy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 04:15   #2
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22×3×641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
This is perhaps the worst journal around: Philica, colloquially called "the journal of everything."
After reviewing the "Astronomy and Cosmology" category, I agree. But perhaps that category just attracts more wackos than the others.

OTOH, a relatively high-rated (within Philica -- http://philica.com/top10rate.php) article, "Time of day effects in drivers' overtaking of bicycles", actually has information that "should also be of interest to employers, who may as a result see benefits to allowing flexible working arrangements." (That is, cyclists are in more danger from overtaking autos during the morning rush hour than during the evening rush hour. Honest!)

Quote:
Curiously though, it is a peer reviewed journal and the reviews are made public.
"Peer" -- not as in "peer of the realm", I take it.

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2009-09-25 at 04:18
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-26, 01:57   #3
flouran

Dec 2008

72·17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
This is perhaps the worst journal around: Philica, colloquially called "the journal of everything." This has become a running joke with my supervisor -- "you should submit that to the journal of everything."

Whenever I have a paper that is not worth publishing I just leave it on the arXiv. The arXiv is good enough as it is and basically does the same thing journals do (i.e. spreading ideas to the rest of the mathematical community).
flouran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-26, 08:21   #4
fivemack
(loop (#_fork))

Feb 2006
Cambridge, England

13×491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
"Peer" -- not as in "peer of the realm", I take it.
Etymololologically, it is 'peer' as in 'peer of the realm'; the point of peerage was that nobles would be judged by their peers rather than from above by the King. Ones elevation puts one on a peer with the currently-existing nobles.

Last fiddled with by fivemack on 2009-09-26 at 08:21
fivemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-26, 22:52   #5
Dougy

Aug 2004
Melbourne, Australia

23×19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flouran View Post
Whenever I have a paper that is not worth publishing I just leave it on the arXiv. The arXiv is good enough as it is and basically does the same thing journals do (i.e. spreading ideas to the rest of the mathematical community).
The arXiv is an interesting one. It contains the whole spectrum, from as-good-as-it-gets research (eg. The primes contain arbitrarily long arithmetic progressions) down to all sorts of clap-trap.

Last fiddled with by Dougy on 2009-09-26 at 22:53
Dougy is offline   Reply With Quote