mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware > GPU Computing

Old 2021-01-18, 05:20   #12
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

52·7·53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by preda View Post
I would recommend to get a 850W or at least 750W PSU, Gold 80+
+1. A 500W PSU will work close to the limit, have a shorter life time and possible cause glitches when the power requirement of the system spikes.

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2021-01-18 at 05:21
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-18, 13:59   #13
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

70638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
+1. A 500W PSU will work close to the limit, have a shorter life time and possible cause glitches when the power requirement of the system spikes.
Thanks for posting this. Somehow I missed the post from Preda. It must have been made while I was answering Chris.

I will indeed consider the 850, looking at the probability it will outlast the ancient hardware it will first support.
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-18, 16:38   #14
chris2be8

Sep 2009

111110101012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdH View Post
Thanks, but that page does not work for me. Clicking the ATX Power Supply link on the initial page gets a 404 error page and then I can't get back to the original page until I reload my browser.
Odd, it works for me. But I'm probably using a different browser. In Firefox try holding down the shift key while you click on the link, that should open the destination in a new window so you still have the old window to go back to. Or in Konqueror right click the link and you should get an option to do the same thing.

However, after a closer look at the list of recent changes (the last was in 2019, the one before in 2018) I don't think it's being kept up to date very often. Which is a pity.

Chris
chris2be8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-18, 16:57   #15
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

1110001100112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2be8 View Post
Odd, it works for me. But I'm probably using a different browser. In Firefox try holding down the shift key while you click on the link, that should open the destination in a new window so you still have the old window to go back to. Or in Konqueror right click the link and you should get an option to do the same thing.

However, after a closer look at the list of recent changes (the last was in 2019, the one before in 2018) I don't think it's being kept up to date very often. Which is a pity.

Chris
You are apparently correct about Firefox and Tor, which I guess is Firefox based on my machine. Chrome on my tablet does get the 20 pin ATX connector at the shown link. On Firefox, I can do a right click to open a new window, tab, etc., but it still gives me:
=============================================

Not Found

The requested URL /ATX_Power_Supply was not found on this server.
Apache Server at www.hardwarebook.info Port 443

The .net portion also redirects to .info (as displayed in the above message) on the home page.

If I try to adjust the .info to .net in the link call, I get the same except for:

Apache Server at www.hardwarebook.net Port 80

I have compared the links and they are identical. I wonder what's up with Firefox. . .

Thanks!
Old 2021-01-19, 01:37   #16
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

29·101 Posts

If you bought something like a Dell or HP, make sure the motherboard uses standard ATX connections before you go buying a new power supply.
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-19, 02:08   #17
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

5·727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rose View Post
If you bought something like a Dell or HP, make sure the motherboard uses standard ATX connections before you go buying a new power supply.
Thanks, for the reminder. The machines I'm thinking of possibles, have actually been running some standard Chiefmax ATX supplies, but they are small and have no extra connectors for PCI-e power, etc.

Last fiddled with by EdH on 2021-01-19 at 02:09
Old 2021-01-21, 23:46   #18
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

1110001100112 Posts

Some more questions, if I may:

How much poorer can I expect a Corsair Bronze PS to perform compared to a Gold?

Do I really want modular? That seems to add a possible trouble spot with an added connector. I can see that being able to not have as much clutter and air flow interference may be a plus, but I would probably stuff the extra cables inside the case to keep from losing them, anyway.

It kind of seems Corsair has good reputation, while EVGA has a poor one.

If my current motherboard only has a single PCI-e slot, would I be able to make use of 850 watts, other than for efficiency and possible reuse elsewhere in the future?

Thanks!
Old 2021-01-22, 00:37   #19
Viliam Furik

"Viliam Furík"
Jul 2018
Martin, Slovakia

5·79 Posts

Quote:

Do I really want modular? That seems to add a possible trouble spot with an added connector. I can see that being able to not have as much clutter and air flow interference may be a plus, but I would probably stuff the extra cables inside the case to keep from losing them, anyway.

If my current motherboard only has a single PCI-e slot, would I be able to make use of 850 watts, other than for efficiency and possible reuse elsewhere in the future?

Thanks!
In order:

Not by much, only a few percents, about 2-4 %, depending on other things. However, that difference can still be significant. It depends on your opinion on the electricity bill.

The airflow resistance from cables is really tiny (I think Linus Tech Tips had a video on this). If you are more comfortable with non-modular, it's alright.

I don't know anything about their reputation.

PSUs usually have peak efficiency at about 50% load, that means less heat loss, less money paid for (kind of) wasted electricity. But you are asking "other than for efficiency"... Then I can say, most probably no. Unless you buy a more power-hungry GPU or something.
Viliam Furik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-22, 00:39   #20
VBCurtis

"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

2·2,339 Posts

Bronze and Gold refer to efficiency of the supply- you should be able to find a percentage effficiency in specs online.

Say the bronze is 82% and the gold 90%. The difference in at-the-wall draw will be around 8% of your load. If you're using a GPU, that load might be 400W, and 8% is around 32-33W of extra power drawn. Multiply by e.g. 20 hours a day, and you're around 0.65 kwh/day of extra use, or about 10 cents a day?

How fast does a nicer power supply pay for the additional cost, at $3/month?

Now, the gold supply you're looking at might not be 90% efficient (I think 90 is a typical platinum stat).... but this gives you an idea of savings. There's some chance the higher-rated supply is better quality overall and might last longer, but that's rather thin speculation and more a guess to feel better about the bigger initial outlay.

Edit; Here's a sample site illustrating the typical efficiencies for different ratings at 50% load and 100% load. I personally wouldn't run a power supply at more than 70% of rated load, or I'd expect to reduce its life. https://appuals.com/gold-vs-bronze-psu/

Last fiddled with by VBCurtis on 2021-01-22 at 00:42
VBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-22, 03:25   #21
dcheuk

Jan 2019
Pittsburgh, PA

25410 Posts

Quote:

Thanks!
(My 2 cents)

- I would at least get a gold or platinum. The price difference between bronze and gold ATX psu usually isn't all that much if you shop around (I did not take into account the PSU supply atm given that GPUs and CPUs are low in supply)
- I had good experience with both Corsair SFX and EVGA ATX Supernova products). Had a 1200W platinum EVGA Supernova that ran for 4+ years without problem.
- A modular psu really helps with smaller cases but not really necessary. I think it's worth getting if it's not that much more $.
- 850W should be enough for any mb with any one gpu. Correct me if I am wrong. I have a 600w gold running a 3950x with one 2080super on an itx board.

Oh one more thing: do not mix cables between different PSU manufactures or different product lines. I "borrowed" a SATA cable from my EVGA psu on a corsair psu and it killed my AIO.
dcheuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-22, 03:49   #22
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

5·727 Posts

Thanks everyone.

I had seen something about the modular cables not being swappable, but thanks for mentioning it.

All good points. I have some more studying to do. . .