mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware > GPU Computing

Old 2017-07-11, 03:22   #1
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

156768 Posts
Default Available software for pursuing mersenne primes

There are several cells in the table with only ? in them. Please reply or PM with any software that could fill in the holes, or suggestions for making the table more useful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	software.png
Views:	1604
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	16430  

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2017-07-11 at 03:24
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-11, 05:10   #2
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

56568 Posts

Missing Mlucas, LLR, and gpuOwl.

Last fiddled with by Mark Rose on 2017-07-11 at 05:11
Mark Rose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-11, 09:55   #3
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

24·3·101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rose View Post
Missing Mlucas, LLR, and gpuOwl.
and gpu-ecm
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-11, 13:44   #4
VBCurtis

"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

23×5×139 Posts

How does GPU-ecm help do anything with mersennes? All Mersennes small enough for GPU-ecm to work are already fully factored.
VBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-11, 13:56   #5
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

24×3×101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCurtis View Post
How does GPU-ecm help do anything with mersennes? All Mersennes small enough for GPU-ecm to work are already fully factored.
My answeer was related to line 5 of the picture on post #1. For completeness.
Old 2017-07-12, 06:18   #6
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

11011101111102 Posts
Default table revised, and some questions

Thanks everyone!

URLs, notes, MLucas and a column for non-intel CPUs have added

LLR: Lucas-Lehmer-Riesel? k 2^N+-1? Does this also do Mersennes efficiently? Is LLR different from LLRCuda? Where's it found?
gpuOwl: where would I find this and information on it?
GPU-ecm: where would I find this and information on it?
What became of GLucas?
(Yes I did some web searching for each. I don't want to waste anyone's time. That's also the motivation for making the table.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	software.png
Views:	814
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	16444  
Old 2017-07-12, 10:47   #7
preda

"Mihai Preda"
Apr 2015

2·3·5·47 Posts

gpuOwL : https://github.com/preda/gpuowl
discussion about it on mersenneforum: http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=22204
preda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-12, 16:06   #8
VBCurtis

"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

23·5·139 Posts

I googled "LLR prime" and got a bunch of links to forum threads where the software releases are announced and linked.

GMP-ECM version 7 includes a -gpu flag which uses CUDA for stage 1 of ecm. However, it's limited to 1018 bits, smaller than any unfactored mersenne number; so it's useful for other projects, but not specificially for factoring mersennes.
VBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-12, 20:09   #9
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

2×5×13×83 Posts

There are a handful more factoring programs like mmff (http://www.doublemersennes.org/download.php), some home brew stuff (user TJAOI might be one, Graff [Gareth] has his own IIRC), etc.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-12, 20:14   #10
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

2×53×67 Posts
Default This afternoon's update

Thanks to all for your input. I've added GpuOwL, versions, notes, formatting, and switched to pdf so links can be used more easily.

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear with you at the outset, and part of that is I wasn't entirely clear myself, about this:

My intention was to collect in one place a reference of software available that is usefully fast and capable for factoring or Lucas-Lehmer testing Mersenne numbers, at or somewhat above the current wavefront of GIMPS effort, and organize the software coverage by approach, and computing hardware, for the operating systems of primary interest due to popularity and throughput potential. (Proth or Riesel software, and Crays or iPhones for example I think fall outside the scope. I'm open to new information that may persuade me. I felt I needed to draw a clear boundary, because there's so much variety out there. There's a lot of great, and interesting, software and pages and forums out there, and outside my intended scope.)

My purpose in creating this table is:
It makes maximizing my contribution easier. I've been running Prime95 for decades and my own cpu code before that, but I was new to and unfamiliar with using GPUs
Sharing it may make others' contribution easier also.
It may get more participants ramped up to speed earlier, and so their hardware too.
It may get more total horsepower applied to GIMPS
It may create less distraction for the various skilled coders, site administrators, forum moderators, etc.in the long run.

Pointers to additional mersenne prime hunting software or alerts to version updates of software are welcome, here or by PM.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mersenne prime hunting software.pdf (15.7 KB, 789 views)

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2017-07-12 at 20:22
Old 2017-07-13, 10:13   #11
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

24·3·101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
Thanks to all for your input. I've added GpuOwL, versions, notes, formatting, and switched to pdf so links can be used more easily.

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear with you at the outset, and part of that is I wasn't entirely clear myself, about this:

My intention was to collect in one place a reference of software available that is usefully fast and capable for factoring or Lucas-Lehmer testing Mersenne numbers, at or somewhat above the current wavefront of GIMPS effort, and organize the software coverage by approach, and computing hardware, for the operating systems of primary interest due to popularity and throughput potential. (Proth or Riesel software, and Crays or iPhones for example I think fall outside the scope. I'm open to new information that may persuade me. I felt I needed to draw a clear boundary, because there's so much variety out there. There's a lot of great, and interesting, software and pages and forums out there, and outside my intended scope.)

My purpose in creating this table is:
It makes maximizing my contribution easier. I've been running Prime95 for decades and my own cpu code before that, but I was new to and unfamiliar with using GPUs
Sharing it may make others' contribution easier also.
It may get more participants ramped up to speed earlier, and so their hardware too.
It may get more total horsepower applied to GIMPS
It may create less distraction for the various skilled coders, site administrators, forum moderators, etc.in the long run.

Pointers to additional mersenne prime hunting software or alerts to version updates of software are welcome, here or by PM.
The actual Mlucas version is 17.0