Old 2019-08-23, 14:02   #177
R.D. Silverman

"Bob Silverman"
Nov 2003
North of Boston

749610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
The conditional arithmetic may compile to mis-predicted branches on some architectures and cause an overall slowdown. Sometimes it is faster to mask, shift and add/subtract.

E.g.

Code:
long addmod(long x, long y, long n) {
    long r0 = x-y;
    return r0 + (n & ((n-r0) >> (sizeof (long) * sizeof (char)));
}

/* Check this carefully, I typed it in but have not fed it into a compiler !!! */
Have you experimented along these lines?

<snip>
This code can't be correct. You are right shifting by 256 bits! [or perhaps more
if sizeof(long) != 32].

BTW, it is very bad style to use 'long'. One should either user int64_t or int32_t.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-23, 14:18   #178
bsquared

"Ben"
Feb 2007

3·17·73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
This code can't be correct. You are right shifting by 256 bits! [or perhaps more
if sizeof(long) != 32].

BTW, it is very bad style to use 'long'. One should either user int64_t or int32_t.
sizeof() returns the size in bytes. As written, the shift would be by 4 (in C, where long's are usually 4 bytes). I haven't studied the code snippet enough to know if this is correct, but it isn't obviously wrong.

The context, however, is Java. There, long's are 8 bytes and int64_t's don't exist. Also not sure if Java has a "sizeof" equivalent.
bsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-23, 14:19   #179
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

2D3D16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
if sizeof(long) != 32].

This post can't be correct. sizeof() returns the number of chars, not the number of bits.

Nonetheless, my code is indeed incorrect because sizeof(char) == 1. It should have read sizeof(long) << 3.

As for style, I completely agree. However, the original used long so, out of politeness, I did the same.

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2019-08-23 at 14:21
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-23, 14:24   #180
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

1158110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsquared View Post
There, long's are 8 bytes and int64_t's don't exist. Also not sure if Java has a "sizeof" equivalent.
Don't know, don't care. If the language specifies that longs are invariably 64 bits long it is safe to use that explicit numeric value.
Old 2019-08-23, 14:25   #181
R.D. Silverman

"Bob Silverman"
Nov 2003
North of Boston

23×937 Posts

Quote:
sizeof() returns the size in bytes. As written, the shift would be by 4 (in C, where long's are usually 4 bytes). I haven't studied the code snippet enough to know if this is correct, but it isn't obviously wrong.

The context, however, is Java. There, long's are 8 bytes and int64_t's don't exist. Also not sure if Java has a "sizeof" equivalent.
Got it.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-23, 14:42   #182
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

37×313 Posts

Quote:
As written, the shift would be by 4 (in C, where long's are usually 4 bytes).
Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more.
Code:
pcl@thoth:~$ cat long.c
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>

extern int main ()
{
  printf ("sizeof (long) = %lu\n",sizeof(long));
  return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}
pcl@thoth:~$ gcc --pedantic -o long long.c
pcl@thoth:~$ ./long
sizeof (long) = 8
pcl@thoth:~$

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2019-08-23 at 14:44 Reason: s/anymore/any more/
Old 2019-08-23, 14:43   #183
Till

"Tilman Neumann"
Jan 2016
Germany

521 Posts

In Java, there is a wrapper class for each primitive type, say wrapper class Long for primitive type long. Each wrapper class has a SIZE constant which gives the size of the data type in bits, and since Java 1.8 a BYTES constant that does the same in bytes.

The long size is not invariably 8 bytes, otherwise there would be no reason to have those constants. On the other hand, exceptions seem to be very rare. (I don't know any, but that doesn't mean much)
Till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-23, 14:45   #184
bsquared

"Ben"
Feb 2007

3×17×73 Posts

Quote:
It should have read sizeof(long) << 3.
Your code is clever and I understand its intent, but it seems to rely on the compiler to "do the right thing". Using gcc 7.3.0 I get a warning: warning: right shift count >= width of type [-Wshift-count-overflow]. So, will it shift in all 1's as its supposed to or will it just ignore the shift? It is probably implementation specific.

I was trying to get the compiler to emit cmov instructions which are fast and branch-free (its what the assembler submod does). I haven't tested recently to see if they are clever enough to do so, but one can hope.
Old 2019-08-23, 14:49   #185
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

264758 Posts

Quote:
Your code is clever and I understand its intent, but it seems to rely on the compiler to "do the right thing". Using gcc 7.3.0 I get a warning: warning: right shift count >= width of type [-Wshift-count-overflow]. So, will it shift in all 1's as its supposed to or will it just ignore the shift? It is probably implementation specific.

I was trying to get the compiler to emit cmov instructions which are fast and branch-free (its what the assembler submod does). I haven't tested recently to see if they are clever enough to do so, but one can hope.
Obvious fix: subtract 1 from the shift count. All the constants will be optimized away and you'll be left with 31 or 63 or whatever is appropriate.

I did warn you that I typed it in off the top of my head and didn't check it. Trust but verify!

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2019-08-23 at 14:50 Reason: Fix tyops. It's just too darned hot to think properly.
Old 2019-08-23, 15:02   #186
bsquared

"Ben"
Feb 2007

72138 Posts

Quote:
Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more.
Code:
pcl@thoth:~$ cat long.c
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>

extern int main ()
{
  printf ("sizeof (long) = %lu\n",sizeof(long));
  return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}
pcl@thoth:~$ gcc --pedantic -o long long.c
pcl@thoth:~$ ./long
sizeof (long) = 8
Maybe "usually" was too strong a word, but: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp...s?view=vs-2019

Code:
PS H:\src\c\long\Project1\Debug> .\long.exe
sizeof (long) = 4
PS H:\src\c\long\Project1\Debug>
Old 2019-08-23, 15:35   #187
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

2D3D16 Posts

Quote:

Code:
pcl@thoth:~$ cat addmod.c
    long r0 = x-y;
    return r0 + (n & ((n-r0) >> 63));
}
pcl@thoth:~$ gcc -O3 -S addmod.c
pcl@thoth:~$ cat addmod.s
	.file	"addmod.c"
	.text
	.p2align 4,,15
	.globl	addmod
	.type	addmod, @function
addmod:
.LFB0:
	.cfi_startproc
	subq	%rsi, %rdi
	movq	%rdx, %rcx
	subq	%rdi, %rcx
	sarq	$63, %rcx
	andq	%rdx, %rcx
	leaq	(%rcx,%rdi), %rax
	ret
	.cfi_endproc
.LFE0:
	.size	addmod, .-addmod
	.ident	"GCC: (Ubuntu 8.3.0-6ubuntu1) 8.3.0"
	.section	.note.GNU-stack,"",@progbits
This variant trades a movq for a subq. I've no idea whether it makes any difference to the performance.
Code:
pcl@thoth:~$ cat addmod.c
  return (x-y)+(n & ((n+y-x) >> 63));
}
pcl@thoth:~$ gcc -O3 -S addmod.c
pcl@thoth:~$ cat addmod.s
	.file	"addmod.c"
	.text
	.p2align 4,,15
	.globl	addmod
	.type	addmod, @function
addmod:
.LFB0:
	.cfi_startproc
	leaq	(%rsi,%rdx), %rax
	subq	%rdi, %rax
	subq	%rsi, %rdi
	sarq	$63, %rax
	andq	%rdx, %rax
	addq	%rdi, %rax
	ret
	.cfi_endproc
.LFE0:
	.size	addmod, .-addmod
	.ident	"GCC: (Ubuntu 8.3.0-6ubuntu1) 8.3.0"
	.section	.note.GNU-stack,"",@progbits
The take-home message is to experiment and see which works best on your hardware.

Experimenting with in-line directives or macros is highly recommended!