Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2009-08-15, 00:54   #1
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

2·3·5·227 Posts
Default PFGW 3.2.2 has been Released

I have release PFGW 3.2.2. The only fix to this release is to fix the bug I introduced with +1 forms and fast modular reduction. You can d/l Windows and MacIntel buildsfrom the following links.

Wnidows
MacIntel

I will let you know when a linux build is available.

I am not aware of any other bugs with PFGW at this time. If you find any, please let me know.

Please d/l with Safari or Firefox since IE seems to have problems with these files.

--Mark

Last fiddled with by rogue on 2009-08-15 at 00:55
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-15, 01:56   #2
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

141518 Posts

Is there a way to make PFGW default to logging its output to pfgw.log (like when the -l option is used)? I've forgotten that on a couple of occasions, including just today where I wasted about a day or two's worth of work, and would have wasted even more if I hadn't noticed when I stopped the client to upgrade to version 3.2.2. At any rate, it can't hurt to have it log results to file by default, so it may be worthwhile to make this the default in future versions.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-15, 02:53   #3
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

2·3·23·31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdettweiler View Post
Is there a way to make PFGW default to logging its output to pfgw.log (like when the -l option is used)? I've forgotten that on a couple of occasions, including just today where I wasted about a day or two's worth of work, and would have wasted even more if I hadn't noticed when I stopped the client to upgrade to version 3.2.2. At any rate, it can't hurt to have it log results to file by default, so it may be worthwhile to make this the default in future versions.
With WinPFGW you can use the Output > Verbose > File option to enable logging (without needing the -l option). I don't think there is such an option for the command line version.
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-15, 02:54   #4
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

152328 Posts

Quote:
Sorry, but probably not. There are a lot of users who don't care about residues of composites so they wouldn't that output.
Old 2009-08-15, 03:52   #5
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Geek View Post
With WinPFGW you can use the Output > Verbose > File option to enable logging (without needing the -l option). I don't think there is such an option for the command line version.
I don't use WinPFGW most of the time; I generally use the command line version so that I can string up another command (say, a PRPnet client) to keep the computer busy if PFGW find a prime or finishes its ranges and stops when I'm not at the computer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
Sorry, but probably not. There are a lot of users who don't care about residues of composites so they wouldn't that output.
Ah, I see. What about an option in pfgw.ini?
Old 2009-08-15, 12:52   #6
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

1A9A16 Posts

Quote:
Ah, I see. What about an option in pfgw.ini?
Possibly, but who creates the pfgw.ini file before running PFGW?
Old 2009-08-15, 15:38   #7
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Ah, I didn't think of that. Never mind, I guess that wouldn't work.
Old 2009-08-15, 19:59   #8
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

2×3×7×71 Posts

Quote:
if you running pfgw or WinPFGW without any input an .ini file is created automatically.
so (closing WinPFGW) you can insert such a setting manually to the .ini and restart again with input!
kar_bon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-15, 23:43   #9
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

1A9A16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar_bon View Post
if you running pfgw or WinPFGW without any input an .ini file is created automatically.
so (closing WinPFGW) you can insert such a setting manually to the .ini and restart again with input!
Why would anyone want to do that? It would be more work than supporting any command line switches. Besides after restarting using -l would be easier than editing a file.
Old 2009-08-16, 17:11   #10
lfm

Jul 2006
Calgary

42510 Posts

Quote:
Why would anyone want to do that? It would be more work than supporting any command line switches. Besides after restarting using -l would be easier than editing a file.
depends..... if you think like a command line user then command line options are easier. If you think like a windows/mouse user perhaps it is easier to edit a file. many windows-mouse users have no idea how to add command line switches.
lfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-16, 17:34   #11
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

681010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfm View Post
depends..... if you think like a command line user then command line options are easier. If you think like a windows/mouse user perhaps it is easier to edit a file. many windows-mouse users have no idea how to add command line switches.
But the GUI version has a command line. That's where you specify the input to be tested. That would still be easier for a user than editing an ini file. PFGW also has a menu option for logging to a file. That also would be easier than editing an ini file.