retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

22×13×127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Heinrich View Post
It was t-online.de that has blacklisted my server (presumably to this day), because:

<snip ridiculous t-online "reason">

So, because I don't wish to publish (what, my home address?) on a contact page for mersenne.ca, my server is considered computa non grata and will never be able to send email to @t-online.de
You could publish bogus contact information. It's not like anyone can simply contact Google with any of the information they publish online, so bogus details wouldn't be any different in that regard.

And if t-online really do try to contact you using the bogus details, and can't get through, then you lose nothing. What can they do, ban you harder?

Last fiddled with by retina on 2022-10-02 at 04:26
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-02, 16:08   #24
chris2be8

Sep 2009

3·797 Posts

Quote:
Did you email him from a common email provider like Gmail?
No, a special address set up for my sister. So it's not likely to be in any blacklists. And so far (touch wood) spammers havn't found it either.

He'll probably reply to any reasonably polite request if it gets to him.
chris2be8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-02, 18:21   #25
kruoli

"Oliver"
Sep 2017
Porta Westfalica, DE

2×7×83 Posts

Quote:
So, because I don't wish to publish (what, my home address?) on a contact page for mersenne.ca, my server is considered computa non grata and will never be able to send email to @t-online.de
Why do they think your homepage is commercial?

In Germany, we have quite strict laws regarding imprints of websites. What is usually done for those who do not want to publish their personal information here is to find someone else (there are paid services for this) who are willing to put their contact information there instead. This is usually combined with some kind of legal document that frees the volountary from any liability and transfers it to the owner of the site.
kruoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-04, 07:23   #26
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

2·61·83 Posts

About storing stuff for backup purpose (and other), we are also willing to participate with storage for everything related to aliquot sequences (including the "powers" sequences).

Avoiding to store other stuff will make our DB tough against spammers in case we ever go public with it, i.e. not all numbers will be accepted, but only those factoring aliquots.
We wanted for a long time to create a personal DB, even thought of a format to optimally store those numbers to be easy to parse and see the "trees", merges, etc., and not waste the storage space too much, but the concept remained on paper, never materialized in a piece of software, due to time and laziness reasons.

We have however a personal DB with almost all under-100-digits indexes and their factors, for starters under a million, and under-80-digits for higher starters up to 3M or so, but if all the info from the factorDB disappears, restoring the actual status from our DB will take ages, because the most of the work is needed for the larger (over 100 digits) numbers that are stored there. There are thousands of "hard" factorisations there (I mean, in factorDB, not in my DB) which would be a pity to be lost.

Assuming that the computers in 10 years or so will not become so fast (or new algorithms will not be found) to allow making all the fuss we worked for year, in just few minutes

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2022-10-04 at 07:25
LaurV is online now   Reply With Quote