mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > Aliquot Sequences

Old 2021-04-19, 15:33   #34
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

23×3×5×31 Posts

I think the idea was to create a comma-separated file, removing the [ and ], and then the preceding spaces, such as:
Code:
I would also ask if we need 10 digits of precision for the floating point values. Could you get away with less?
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-20, 07:36   #35
garambois

"Garambois Jean-Luc"
Oct 2011
France

11118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdH View Post
I think the idea was to create a comma-separated file, removing the [ and ], and then the preceding spaces, such as:
Code:
I would also ask if we need 10 digits of precision for the floating point values. Could you get away with less?

OK, I will use this format for the lines.
But I will keep 10 digits of precision for the floating point values.
My experience shows that 6 is not enough.
And if I put 8, I'm not sure the 8 are correct.
So I put 10, like that, I'm sure the first 8 are correct !
garambois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-20, 12:54   #36
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

23×3×5×31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garambois View Post
OK, I will use this format for the lines.
But I will keep 10 digits of precision for the floating point values.
My experience shows that 6 is not enough.
And if I put 8, I'm not sure the 8 are correct.
So I put 10, like that, I'm sure the first 8 are correct !
All sounds good! I will probably try to write my latest, "version 2" of the program to use either format. For now, the original must use the original regina_file.
Old 2021-04-20, 14:55   #37
garambois

"Garambois Jean-Luc"
Oct 2011
France

10010010012 Posts

I have very good news.
For several days, I have been working and I have managed to bring a lot of improvement to my program which is going to be much faster about 30 times faster around n = 14 M and the gain of time will be even greater for higher n.
It is very likely that I will restart the whole calculation from the beginning and in 2 or 3 months, I will be at n = 15 M.
It took me 4 years to reach 14 M with the old program !
And then the regina_file file will grow much faster over the months and reach several GB in a few months.
At the end of the summer, we will certainly be beyond 20 M.
But before starting the calculation, I still want to check everything.
And I take this opportunity to ask you a question :

Does anyone have yet another idea to add variables in addition to the 15 variables already provided in the regina_file ?

Because there may be data that I did not think of that could be interesting for each aliquot sequence ...
And now is the time to add them, because I will take again everything from the start.
To gain this much computation speed, I use hints and store additional information in one of the secondary files.
I intend to launch the program Thursday April 22.
Old 2021-04-20, 18:07   #38
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

E8816 Posts

Since it has been asked for elsewhere, what about the maximum height achieved for all terminated sequences?
Old 2021-04-21, 05:20   #39
Happy5214

"Alexander"
Nov 2008
The Alamo City

3·7·29 Posts

Quote:
I have very good news.
For several days, I have been working and I have managed to bring a lot of improvement to my program which is going to be much faster about 30 times faster around n = 14 M and the gain of time will be even greater for higher n.
It is very likely that I will restart the whole calculation from the beginning and in 2 or 3 months, I will be at n = 15 M.
It took me 4 years to reach 14 M with the old program !
And then the regina_file file will grow much faster over the months and reach several GB in a few months.
At the end of the summer, we will certainly be beyond 20 M.
But before starting the calculation, I still want to check everything.
And I take this opportunity to ask you a question :

Does anyone have yet another idea to add variables in addition to the 15 variables already provided in the regina_file ?

Because there may be data that I did not think of that could be interesting for each aliquot sequence ...
And now is the time to add them, because I will take again everything from the start.
To gain this much computation speed, I use hints and store additional information in one of the secondary files.
I intend to launch the program Thursday April 22.
What about the number of (for lack of a better term, since some terms are abundant) "decreasing regime" runs (i.e. stretches of consecutive terms under a downdriver or no 2 at all)?

PS What does "regina" mean? It's Latin for "queen", but I didn't think that survived as such into French.
Happy5214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-21, 07:25   #40
garambois

"Garambois Jean-Luc"
Oct 2011
France

24916 Posts

Quote:
Since it has been asked for elsewhere, what about the maximum height achieved for all terminated sequences?

OK.
I will add this data in the final position of the line.
It's a good idea.
But this additional data may considerably increase the size of the file, because for each Open End sequence, it will be a number of 50 digits !
Old 2021-04-21, 08:15   #41
garambois

"Garambois Jean-Luc"
Oct 2011
France

11118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy5214 View Post
What about the number of (for lack of a better term, since some terms are abundant) "decreasing regime" runs (i.e. stretches of consecutive terms under a downdriver or no 2 at all)?

PS What does "regina" mean? It's Latin for "queen", but I didn't think that survived as such into French.

If I understand your question correctly, in this database, at no time do I distinguish between guides or drivers or "downdrivers".
On the other hand, in the new database, for each sequence, we will have the following line :

n, a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, j, k, l, m, o, t

And as explained on this page, here is the meaning of the variables g, h, i, j :
g : record number of strictly increasing even consecutive terms in the starting sequence n.
h : record number of strictly decreasing even consecutive terms in the starting sequence n.
i : record number of strictly decreasing odd consecutive terms in the starting sequence n.
j : record number of strictly increasing odd consecutive terms in the starting sequence n.
The variable h therefore does indeed count the number of terms of the largest decreasing "extract" of consecutive even terms of the sequence.

The variables o and t will be the terms added compared to the old database :
o : Geometric mean of the terms of the sequence.
t : bigger term in the sequence.

I hope I answered your question and do not hesitate if not ...

And above all, don't hesitate to give me your ideas if you think I still need to add an additional variable.

As for the name "regina", there are two reasons :
1) In a way, this database is the "queen" of databases, in a way the "fundamental database" on aliquot sequences.
2) For the little anecdote, my wife's first name is "Régine" and I developed the idea of this program in particular circumstances. Régine and I were going on vacation, in the car, crossing Switzerland, without having any computer, just a sheet of paper and a pencil. Régine, who was driving next to me, was looking at me with funny eyes, wondering what I was doing, instead of looking at the breathtakingly beautiful landscapes with the snow-capped Alps.
Old 2021-04-21, 13:38   #42
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

23×3×5×31 Posts

Quote:
OK.
I will add this data in the final position of the line.
It's a good idea.
But this additional data may considerably increase the size of the file, because for each Open End sequence, it will be a number of 50 digits !
Actually, rather than the value of the highest term, I was thinking the number of digits of the highest term. On a graph, it would represent the highest peak reached for a terminated sequence, measured in digits. See post #981 in the terminations and merges thread. The value for "t" would be 140.

Additionally, since the open-ended sequences are not evaluated past 50 digits, I would leave "t" at 0 (zero) for open-ended, and only provide a value for terminated (prime or cycle) sequences.
Old 2021-04-21, 15:53   #43
garambois

"Garambois Jean-Luc"
Oct 2011
France

32·5·13 Posts

Quote:
Actually, rather than the value of the highest term, I was thinking the number of digits of the highest term. On a graph, it would represent the highest peak reached for a terminated sequence, measured in digits. See post #981 in the terminations and merges thread. The value for "t" would be 140.

Additionally, since the open-ended sequences are not evaluated past 50 digits, I would leave "t" at 0 (zero) for open-ended, and only provide a value for terminated (prime or cycle) sequences.

Warning :
In my program, the 1466496 sequence will be considered as Open End and its highest term will be its first term which will exceed 10^50.
This 140-digit peak for this sequence will therefore be completely ignored by my program !
I never do calculations beyond 10^50.
To have all this information, it would be necessary to download on DB all the complete sequences registered as Open End by my program and then analyze each term to extract all the information.
I have already thought about this but the processing time would be much longer.
The regina_file file is especially of interest for all the sequences beyond n = 3e6 which have not yet been explored ...

Also, I think you are right, I am going to store the number of digits of the highest peak and not the number itself.
See as attached file the new regina_file up to 1000.
I would like to draw your attention to 138, 276, 306, 396.
The program is ready, but I am in the process of making checks that everything is in accordance with what I want.
I have already found several errors today.
Attached Files
File Type: gz regina_file_new_1000.tar.gz (23.7 KB, 10 views)

Last fiddled with by garambois on 2021-04-21 at 15:56 Reason: Forgot the attached file.
Old 2021-04-21, 16:45   #44
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

23×3×5×31 Posts

I think it's great as you show. The fact that a=0 signifies that the sequence is regarded as open-ended, we can consider t to be "temporary" rather than definite. We should be fine.