mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2021-04-12, 22:13   #1343
tuckerkao

Jan 2020

5×47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
On lie concerts have been a thing. Also, releasing special versions of songs has made quite a few artists money.
Yes, some U.S. states like Texas and Florida have reopened, but not all. Concerts of 20,000+ people in the same stadium, not that I aware of. Small gatherings of 40 people, it's legal.

That's only if they are famous enough and already have huge amount of audience that they can still keep busy even in the virtual mode. Many live concerts were rescheduled for the later dates. A daughter of my neighbor who used to sing across several local cities, no longer hosts any live events now. Also the concerts have not only been about the artists and the performers, Many others have been preparing the setups of the live events. Interior decorations and variations are very important for the live stages, but not as much virtually.

It's all about the job opportunities. Not everyone is on the top, at least not me. The top 1% will always do well no matter what(unless World War III), it's the bottom 50% of the society that lives from paycheck to paycheck being hurt the most by the pandemic.

Justin Bieber is performing live concerts with the limited capacities in several states only since recently but still not in mine, I don't seek works outside my local areas anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
The odds of dying in the USoA from COVID are about 1 in 573. :Alfred E. Newman:
How about the death rates including the suicides and other mental health issues because of Covid-19?

Moved from "Getting others to do the work on exponents I like (was: Trial Factoring Progress)"

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2021-04-13 at 12:38 Reason: As indicated
tuckerkao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-13, 01:12   #1344
VBCurtis

"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

2×32×5×53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerkao View Post
How about the death rates including the suicides and other mental health issues because of Covid-19?
Suicide rate is down from a normal year. The "we're in this together" group-fight proved stronger than despondency during 2020.

Moved from "Getting others to do the work on exponents I like (was: Trial Factoring Progress)"

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2021-04-13 at 12:38 Reason: As indicated
VBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-13, 12:44   #1345
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

4,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCurtis View Post
Suicide rate is down from a normal year. The "we're in this together" group-fight proved stronger than despondency during 2020.
Right on the head. Link to news story provided in this post
Dr Sardonicus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-13, 13:17   #1346
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

4,519 Posts

The Latest: US suggests 'pause' J&J shots over clot reports
Quote:
The U.S. is recommending a "pause" in administration of the single-dose Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine to investigate reports of potentially dangerous blood clots.

In a joint statement Tuesday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Food and Drug Administration said they were investigating clots in six women that occurred in the days after vaccination. The clots were observed along with reduced platelet counts - making the usual treatment for blood clots, the blood thinner heparin, potentially "dangerous."
I don't know how the platelet counts were made in the present instance, but I do know that in years past, the count involved the use of a "cuvette" (like a test tube but with a square cross-section). With some people, using a plastic cuvette resulted in an erroneous finding of an abnormally low platelet count. When the test was redone using a glass cuvette, the platelet count would be normal.
Old 2021-04-13, 13:49   #1347
ATH
Einyen

Dec 2003
Denmark

2·7·223 Posts

Regarding the blood clots from the Astra-Zeneca vaccine a Danish professor thinks it might be due to poorly educated people giving the vaccine.

https://www.berlingske.dk/nyheder/da...se-blodpropper (in Danish)

Quote:
Corona vaccines must be injected deep into the muscle, it is called intramuscularly. This means that the skin must first be stretched out before the needle is inserted, which is also stated in the Danish Health and Medicines Authority's guidelines. To make sure that the needle does not hit the blood vessels or damage them, you should pull the plunger back a little to see if there is blood. If this happens try to another location.

However, Niels Høiby has been able to state that this does not always happen. The fact that citizens' skin has instead, for example, been squeezed between the index finger and thumb before the vaccination, which in extremely rare cases can have fatal consequences.

‘It may mean that some of the vaccine may go straight into the blood instead, if the needle has damaged the blood vessels, and from there on to the heart and lungs. And in the worst case, it can cause such a violent inflammatory reaction that it can cause several small blood clots in, among other things, the lungs, which is what we have seen, "says Niels Høiby, who has also been contacted by several nurses and general practitioners with same wonder about the vaccine technique.
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-13, 15:55   #1348
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

4,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
Regarding the blood clots from the Astra-Zeneca vaccine a Danish professor thinks it might be due to poorly educated people giving the vaccine.

https://www.berlingske.dk/nyheder/da...se-blodpropper (in Danish)
Given the rush to get shots in arms, having some inadequately trained vaccinators seems reasonably likely.

Platelets are a major factor in forming blood clots, so it made me wonder how someone with a low level of platelets was having a problem with blood clots.
Old 2021-04-13, 16:13   #1349
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

37418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
Platelets are a major factor in forming blood clots, so it made me wonder how someone with a low level of platelets was having a problem with blood clots.
You are correct, it does not compute. Blood-thinners usually cause bleeding which is the opposite of a blood-clot. They are generally given to people at risk of getting blood-clots. it is uncharacteristic of them to be associated with increased instances of blood-clots.

Last fiddled with by a1call on 2021-04-13 at 16:23
a1call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-20, 18:06   #1350
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

10001101001112 Posts

Ted Nugent, who once dismissed COVID-19, sickened by virus
Quote:
Rocker Ted Nugent is revealing he was in agony after testing positive for coronavirus — months after he said the virus was “not a real pandemic.”

"I thought I was dying," Nugent says in a Facebook live video posted Monday. "I literally could hardly crawl out of bed the last few days," adding: "So I was officially tested positive for COVID-19 today."

In the video shot at his Michigan ranch, the "Cat Scratch Fever" singer repeatedly uses racist slurs to refer to COVID-19 and reiterates his previous stance that he wouldn't be getting the vaccine because he claims wrongly that "nobody knows what’s in it."
<snip>
Old 2021-04-20, 19:30   #1351
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2×3×5×11×29 Posts

Quote:
Evolution in action.
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-20, 20:15   #1352
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

4,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Quote:
Evolution in action.
I don't understand. In the second place, it doesn't look like he's going to die from it. In the first place, he's already fathered kids - by his first wife, by his second wife, and a bunch by women he wasn't married to.
Old 2021-04-20, 21:24   #1353
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

100101011000102 Posts

Quote:
I don't understand.
For this particular data point, no. Evolution isn't aided. But in the aggregate, it is (read: some "non-believers" *will* be removed from the pool).

Keep in your model that most males can procreate up to shortly after they stop converting oxygen into carbon dioxide. So for that half of the population, there /is/ a functional effect in reduced quantity.

Meant to be funny, and macabre, at the same time...
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote