Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

7×17×89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
ETA 5 days on M108938483 (James Carlson)
Been like that for about a week. Patience cricket. Patience and fortitude.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-25, 19:19   #3577
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Been like that for about a week.
No. Within the past week it was still assigned to someone else, then expired, was assigned again, made no progress for the first 3 days after reassignment, probably due to a default days of work to get setting in prime95, & now is making good progress per day, progressing through ~30% in the past ~two days. (I've been checking this milestone daily recently, since I log milestones in certain reference posts.)

It's sort of a tradition that someone or other posts in this thread when the next milestone is near with only 1 or 2 exponents left.

Reading into the plain factual "ETA 5 days" impatience might perhaps reflect some sort of filter / preconception in your listening.
I have considerable patience, with some individual assignments taking weeks, months, occasionally ~ a year+. See for example https://www.mersenne.ca/obd where 89-90 bits takes 20.-200. days depending on GPU model, and P-1 takes around a year on available prequalified hardware. And others which you've recently commented about as taking too long.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2022-05-25 at 19:43
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-25, 19:54   #3578
slandrum

Jan 2021
California

421 Posts

This post https://www.mersenneforum.org/showpo...postcount=3564 is what might have given people the impression that you could be a bit impatient at times. Once an impression has been made, it takes a while for it to go away (even with lots of evidence to the contrary).
slandrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-25, 20:17   #3579
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

7·17·89 Posts

Quote:
No. Within the past week it was still assigned to someone else, then expired, was assigned again,
The current user was assigned it on 5/19 and it is 5/25. That is 6 days. That fits my "about a week". Further that has been the lone hold since 5/19 as well.
Quote:
made no progress for the first 3 days after reassignment, probably due to a default days of work to get setting in prime95,
Breath. Don't worry. The more you focus on and highlight these lone hold outs, the more you fan the desires that others have to poach.
Quote:
See for example https://www.mersenne.ca/obd where 89-90 bits takes 20.-200. days depending on GPU model, and P-1 takes around a year on available prequalified hardware. And others which you've recently commented about as taking too long.
You well know that I am working on an exponent that will take me 60+ days to finish. Also, I did a DC on a 332M number for you. The length of time on the exponent that I pointed to you out was about the increased likelihood of error (for a 2 year long test), not "better get that done soon".
Old 2022-05-25, 23:31   #3580
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slandrum View Post
This post https://www.mersenneforum.org/showpo...postcount=3564 is what might have given people the impression that you could be a bit impatient at times. Once an impression has been made, it takes a while for it to go away (even with lots of evidence to the contrary).
Thanks for weighing in. That one was first assigned for LLDC 2020-11-05, expired & reissued multiple times, and was finally completed 2022-04-05 (17 months later, which seems rather excessive). Expressing facts about the wide range of possibilities, or even sometime a preference that people use hardware suitable for the tasks at hand, and either fulfill the implicit agreement that they'll promptly do the work an assignment requires or timely surrender the assignment if somehow unable, is not necessarily impatience either. The assignment rules are published for all to read and follow, and have been for many years, and occasionally updated. Cat 0 and cat 1 contain "Assigned to users that promise to complete assignments quickly (see setting in green above)." at https://www.mersenne.org/thresholds/
It's not impatience, to expect people to understand and fulfillj their commitments or otherwise act responsibly.

The rules of the game are not a secret. Follow them or get out of the way, applies to all, including both hoarders and poachers. And when we err, resolve to do better next time.

I am not responsible for other people's misinterpretations or projections or whatever's happening.

It's also possible for people to be a bit on edge given current events, or personal life events we can't even guess at, and for such to affect reactions and tone whether such intent is there or not.
Anyway, let's not let this veering off-topic interfere any further with having fun.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2022-05-25 at 23:32
Old 2022-05-25, 23:36   #3581
tuckerkao

"Tucker Kao"
Jan 2020
Head Base M168202123

3×13×19 Posts

Quote:
ETA 5 days on M108938483 (James Carlson)
The progress was updated to 43.9% during the past 2 hours. I certainly hope the M110M milestone can be reached by July 4, 2022 or with only a single digit of remaining exponents at the normal rate.

Quote:
The length of time on the exponent that I pointed to you out was about the increased likelihood of error (for a 2 year long test), not "better get that done soon".
If the total length of time is still less than 30 days, the chance of errors won't be too bad for the PRP tests. It's around M253M for my new PC, that's the top limit which Gerbicz errors won't keep occur within the same million of the iterations. The corresponding TFs and P-1 certainly won't exceed the limits of my CPU and GPU.

Last fiddled with by tuckerkao on 2022-05-26 at 00:05
tuckerkao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-26, 00:18   #3582
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

7×17×89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerkao View Post
If the total length of time is still less than 30 days, the chance of errors won't be too bad for the PRP tests.
This is not about you. Nor your machine. Kriesel and I were discussing a particular exponent on a particular machine of his.
Old 2022-05-26, 00:34   #3583
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

38 Posts

Quote:
The current user was assigned it on 5/19 and it is 5/25. That is 6 days. That fits my "about a week". Further that has been the lone hold since 5/19 as well.
Breath. Don't worry. The more you focus on and highlight these lone hold outs, the more you fan the desires that others have to poach.
You well know that I am working on an exponent that will take me 60+ days to finish. Also, I did a DC on a 332M number for you. The length of time on the exponent that I pointed to you out was about the increased likelihood of error (for a 2 year long test), not "better get that done soon".
This seems to me a very strange response.
In the preceding 7 days, IIRC, it was still assigned, then expired, reassigned to a different user, stagnant a while, and then making good progress. That occurs to me as at least 4 distinct states. "Been like that for about a week" sounds like claiming one state for the exponent.

As to encouraging poaching, remember that I launched this antipoaching thread more than 2 years ago. (And https://mersenneforum.org/showpost.p...&postcount=124 was satire, not impatience.)

"Breathe. Don't worry." in response to trying to explain that observation and anticipation is not the same as or indicative of impatience, or for that matter stress, or worry, and writing my interpretation of the sequence seems off the mark. We have different words for these things because they are different.
Then there's your response, to my counterexamples showing I have patience demonstrated, as if I instead claimed you did not have patience. There was no such claim made by me about you in recent posts here.
Your responses can be quite puzzling sometimes. Perhaps mine too?
(Trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, assuming you are acting in good faith, not trying to jerk my chain like some forumites are known to like to do sometimes.)
Old 2022-05-26, 02:44   #3584
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

23×3×439 Posts

Quote:
(Trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, assuming you are acting in good faith, not trying to jerk my chain like some forumites are known to like to do sometimes.)
Black stone to d4...

Dude... We're mostly all on the same page here. Deal with it.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-26, 03:40   #3585
mathwiz

Mar 2019

27610 Posts

Less talking, more crunching.
mathwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-26, 03:49   #3586
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

244508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathwiz View Post
Less talking, more crunching.
Oh... Come on... Getting wound up and intense is part of the Mersenne Forum Experience!!!
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote