mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Old 2008-04-05, 22:20   #1
Unregistered

3×11×167 Posts
Default Request specific exponent from primenet question

Hi guys,
I've searched high and low on the forum and on primenet without success - how do I check out specific exponents of my choice from primenet rather than receive the next available 10M exponent on the list? All the manual forms that I've seen only allow for a general 10M request yet a specific request must be possible as primenet shows a few exponents checked out in ranges not yet reached i.e.

Primenet range ---- Available Out
43900000 43999999 2232 ___6

I'd be really grateful if someone could point me in the right direction,
Many thanks in advance
Old 2008-04-06, 10:40   #2
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

769210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
how do I check out specific exponents of my choice from primenet
You can't; PrimeNet does not offer that capability.

However, you could (A) go to the "Choose Exponents to Test!" page at http://www.mersenne.org/range2.htm, or (B) ask George to reserve some other specific exponent or exponents -- since he administers the data base, he can manually reach in and adjust some things.

Quote:
a specific request must be possible as primenet shows a few exponents checked out in ranges not yet reached i.e.

Primenet range ---- Available Out
43900000 43999999 2232 ___6
Perhaps those are cases of (A) or (B) above, or they might be "test cases" set aside for testers to try new software versions, or some other nonstandard circumstance.

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2008-04-06 at 10:41
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-06, 16:31   #3
Unregistered

24·52·7 Posts

Hi cheesehead – thanks very much for the quick reply. I emailed George regarding adding an available exponent to my primenet account, but he said that only I could do that, so I’m thinking that there’s a technical reason (privileges?) why he can’t do it.
I used to just request 10M exponents from primenet and take what I was given, but nowadays I’d rather test a sequence of numbers that mean something to me (post factoring of course) and hope to get lucky. Unfortunately with more modern processors (Q6600 being one!) the testing speed has increased and, along with my personal testing time reduction, this has led to the LL’ing wave approaching my now mid-test exponent rather quickly.
It looks as though I’ll have to watch the wave coming and pluck my exponent as it passes (and throw others I don’t want back using the manual forms). Can’t think of any other way, but if I’m unsuccessful I’ll probably end up racing the new owner to the end to check primality first – AAAARRRGHHHH!
Thanks again
Old 2008-04-06, 20:06   #4
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

186916 Posts

If the exponent is less than 79.3M (79300000), you can simply add it to your worktodo.ini as "Test=exponent,factored_bits" (you can find out how much your exponent's range by doing a lookup for it on the v5 server pages). Then, the next time Prime95 communicates with PrimeNet (you'll probably want to initiate a Manual Communication), assuming someone else hasn't reserved the exponent already, it will be automatically marked as reserved by you.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-06, 22:19   #5
Unregistered

7·227 Posts

Thanks for the solution anonymous - I didn't think of that one and will give it a go a.s.a.p! I knew there had to be a way but for the life of me couldn't get there. Also many thanks for taking the time to describe the procedure - looks like I won't have to go surfing after all!!! (Don't like getting my feet wet anyway, so big smily face!)
Old 2008-04-07, 00:10   #6
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

1E0C16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I emailed George regarding adding an available exponent to my primenet account, but he said that only I could do that
Oh yeah -- since I don't care about PrimeNet credit for myself, I keep forgetting some details that apply only to PrimeNet rather than to GIMPS in general.

Quote:
Can’t think of any other way, but if I’m unsuccessful I’ll probably end up racing the new owner to the end to check primality first – AAAARRRGHHHH!
I'm not quite sure what you mean. Since PrimeNet wouldn't assign an exponent to someone else if it had assigned it to you (and you hadn't yet manually returned it to abandon your assignment), the only way there'd be a race between you and a "new owner" (new assignee) would be for you to manually return your exponent assignment, but continue to test it.

Please do not ever test exponents not currently assigned to you, that might be assigned to someone else. That's what we call poaching.

If you are testing an exponent that has been assigned to you, don't return it to PrimeNet for unassignment unless you are sure you've stopped the test.

By "racing the new owner to the end to check primality first" you woul potentially be stealing from the "owner" (assignee) his/her possibility of being the discoverer of a new Mersenne prime: Suppose you do win that race and that the result turns out to be a newly-discovered prime. In that case, when you report your result, you will have become the official discoverer. When the assignee later reports (assuming your result hasn't become known to him/her yet) what will seem to that person to be the unique thrill of having made a very rare discovery will turn into great disappointment (their own AAAARRRGHHHH! moment) as soon as it becomes clear to them that you got there first.

Success of the PrimeNet reservation system depends on the trust each participant has that they are each the unique assignee for their particular exponents. Poaching such as you describe [I know that's not what you intend, but it's what could be the result if you continue to test an exponent after manually returning it to PrimeNet] erodes that trust, and can potentially destroy the usefulness of PrimeNet.

Sorry to go on so much, but (as long-time forum participants may recall) I strongly oppose and condemn poaching, ever since I was a repeated target of a poacher myself several years ago.

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2008-04-07 at 00:27 Reason: AAAARRRGHHHH!
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 01:14   #7
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

7·1,091 Posts

The exponent unregistered wants to test is just ahead of the first-time LL testing wavefront. Adding the exponent to worktodo should solve his problem.
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 15:25   #8
Unregistered

52·373 Posts

Never in the history of forums have I ever seen so many ARGHS! on one page - AARGH!
Anyway, all sorted now folks, so thanks for all the help - the solution was really obvious in the end, but if no-one had told me otherwise I thought I would have got an 'exponent not allocated to me' message had I just hit contact primenet. Still wish I'd tried it though and saved everyone some time.
Now, after all this it better be prime!!!
Old 2008-05-13, 04:22   #9
nngs

Jun 2004

22×3×5 Posts

I have one more question related to this topic

If I want to test an exponent (very big) that has not yet been touched by
a factoring machine in primenet, what format should I use to add it into the worktodo.ini file? like below

Test=xxxxxxxx, 68, 1 (i.e. what should I put in the place where the number "68" stands?)

Thanks
nngs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-13, 04:37   #10
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nngs View Post
I have one more question related to this topic

If I want to test an exponent (very big) that has not yet been touched by
a factoring machine in primenet, what format should I use to add it into the worktodo.ini file? like below

Test=xxxxxxxx, 68, 1 (i.e. what should I put in the place where the number "68" stands?)

Thanks
The format is as follows:

Test=exponent,factored-depth,p-1_is_done

i.e. factored-depth should be replaced with the current bit level to which the exponent has been factored (if it hasn't been touched by a PrimeNet factoring machine, then it will probably be somewhere around 62-65 bits, depending on the range; you can get this information on the v5 server "factoring limits" query page); and the "p-1_is_done" part should be left off (i.e. it will look like "Test=exponent,factored-depth") if P-1 has not been done, or set to "1" if P-1 has been done.

Hope this helps!

Last fiddled with by mdettweiler on 2008-05-13 at 04:37
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-13, 19:06   #11
nngs

Jun 2004

22×3×5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
The format is as follows:

Test=exponent,factored-depth,p-1_is_done

i.e. factored-depth should be replaced with the current bit level to which the exponent has been factored (if it hasn't been touched by a PrimeNet factoring machine, then it will probably be somewhere around 62-65 bits, depending on the range; you can get this information on the v5 server "factoring limits" query page); and the "p-1_is_done" part should be left off (i.e. it will look like "Test=exponent,factored-depth") if P-1 has not been done, or set to "1" if P-1 has been done.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the explanation

I did not find the "factoring limits" query page, but I got something from
http://mersenne.org/math.htm

Now I guess I can use
Test=xxxxxxxx, yy, 0 (yy is quoted from http://mersenne.org/math.htm)

This will tell server that I'll skip the factoring step, and do P-1/LL test for this exponent, right?
nngs is offline   Reply With Quote