mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2022-05-11, 23:47   #1
mrk74
 
Jan 2020

67 Posts
Default Estimated hours of use

When setting up GIMPS one of the options is Estimated hours of use per day. Is this how many hours a day it will run or is it just asking how many hours a day you think you will use it. If it's the later, just for curiosity sake, why does it ask that?
mrk74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-12, 01:04   #2
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

22·3·883 Posts
Default

It is the later. It helps with estimates of how much work you are going to be able to do. Which in turn is used to figure out how much work to ask for.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-12, 01:07   #3
mrk74
 
Jan 2020

67 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
It is the later. It helps with estimates of how much work you are going to be able to do. Which in turn is used to figure out how much work to ask for.

So in the end does it really matter what you set it at if you don't care about credit?
mrk74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-12, 01:14   #4
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

22×3×883 Posts
Default

It is not about credit. If you set it to 24 hrs/day and only run, you might wind up with work that would take you months to get through (instead of leaving it for someone else to get to in a timely manner.) Or if you set it to 1 and run it 24 hrs and you have limited connectivity, your machine might run out of work. Prime95 does have a "rolling average" to try to figure out how much work the machine actually does. But it takes a while to get that settled.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-12, 01:47   #5
mrk74
 
Jan 2020

67 Posts
Default

Ok I have a stable connection. I set it to 6 in the thinking it would only run 6 hours a day (obviously not). The computer doesn't get used for much else so I could bump it up if that's a smart thing to do. As of right now I'm on almost day 3 of 4 running an LL. I only have that one assignment. I'm up for any suggestions you might offer.

Last fiddled with by mrk74 on 2022-05-12 at 01:47
mrk74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-12, 02:09   #6
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

22·3·883 Posts
Default

I assume that the LL is a double check. Yes, that is fine.
If it is a first time check, please change over to PRP with proof file generation, if you can.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-12, 02:25   #7
axn
 
axn's Avatar
 
Jun 2003

14FE16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk74 View Post
Is this how many hours a day it will run or is it just asking how many hours a day you think you will use it. If it's the later, just for curiosity sake, why does it ask that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
It is the later.
Isn't it the former? i.e. How many hours the program will run as opposed to how many hours the human is sitting in front of the computer? I am not sure I understood the OP's question correctly, but I'm not sure you did either.
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-12, 02:29   #8
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

22×3×883 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axn View Post
Isn't it the former?
I took the question to mean, does this stop the program after X hrs of use each day or is it how much the user thinks the PC will be on to run it?
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-12, 02:31   #9
axn
 
axn's Avatar
 
Jun 2003

537410 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
I took the question to mean, does this stop the program after X hrs of use each day or is it how much the user thinks the PC will be on to run it?
I suppose that is a sensible interpretation too... Just not sure that is what OP meant... Anyway, maybe there is some value to this tangent for OP
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-12, 14:23   #10
mrk74
 
Jan 2020

67 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
I assume that the LL is a double check. Yes, that is fine.
If it is a first time check, please change over to PRP with proof file generation, if you can.
My mistake. It is a double check.
mrk74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-12, 14:26   #11
mrk74
 
Jan 2020

67 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axn View Post
Isn't it the former? i.e. How many hours the program will run as opposed to how many hours the human is sitting in front of the computer? I am not sure I understood the OP's question correctly, but I'm not sure you did either.
After looking into it Unc was right. It runs 24/7. But I did think that setting was to tell it how many hours to run a day but obviously it isn't.
mrk74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how Estimated Completion works ssybesma Information & Answers 9 2022-05-12 18:47
Unusual estimated completion time? ixfd64 Software 6 2019-10-09 16:55
Estimated relations Factmsieve cimpresovec Msieve 21 2016-01-17 15:58
Question about Estimated Days to Complete Mark Rose GPU to 72 5 2013-10-04 06:12
Estimated completion dates Yura Software 3 2012-11-13 19:45

All times are UTC. The time now is 10:42.


Mon Jun 27 10:42:59 UTC 2022 up 74 days, 8:44, 1 user, load averages: 1.17, 1.18, 1.09

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.

≠ ± ∓ ÷ × · − √ ‰ ⊗ ⊕ ⊖ ⊘ ⊙ ≤ ≥ ≦ ≧ ≨ ≩ ≺ ≻ ≼ ≽ ⊏ ⊐ ⊑ ⊒ ² ³ °
∠ ∟ ° ≅ ~ ‖ ⟂ ⫛
≡ ≜ ≈ ∝ ∞ ≪ ≫ ⌊⌋ ⌈⌉ ∘ ∏ ∐ ∑ ∧ ∨ ∩ ∪ ⨀ ⊕ ⊗ 𝖕 𝖖 𝖗 ⊲ ⊳
∅ ∖ ∁ ↦ ↣ ∩ ∪ ⊆ ⊂ ⊄ ⊊ ⊇ ⊃ ⊅ ⊋ ⊖ ∈ ∉ ∋ ∌ ℕ ℤ ℚ ℝ ℂ ℵ ℶ ℷ ℸ 𝓟
¬ ∨ ∧ ⊕ → ← ⇒ ⇐ ⇔ ∀ ∃ ∄ ∴ ∵ ⊤ ⊥ ⊢ ⊨ ⫤ ⊣ … ⋯ ⋮ ⋰ ⋱
∫ ∬ ∭ ∮ ∯ ∰ ∇ ∆ δ ∂ ℱ ℒ ℓ
𝛢𝛼 𝛣𝛽 𝛤𝛾 𝛥𝛿 𝛦𝜀𝜖 𝛧𝜁 𝛨𝜂 𝛩𝜃𝜗 𝛪𝜄 𝛫𝜅 𝛬𝜆 𝛭𝜇 𝛮𝜈 𝛯𝜉 𝛰𝜊 𝛱𝜋 𝛲𝜌 𝛴𝜎𝜍 𝛵𝜏 𝛶𝜐 𝛷𝜙𝜑 𝛸𝜒 𝛹𝜓 𝛺𝜔