mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2019-08-21, 05:10   #1
Bulldozer
 
Jun 2019

258 Posts
Question Is it possible to convert Prime95 to UWP and launch it in Microsoft Store?

I tried doing that with Desktop App Converter, but it can't write .bu intremidiate files.
Can anyone help me to do that?
Bulldozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-21, 05:32   #2
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

2×4,441 Posts
Default

Install Prime95 into a folder that is not under "Program Files". Prime95 wants to write data in its home folder. The last few versions of Windows don't like that. They want it under 'ProgramData'.

I make a folder up at the root level for it (because some of the machines are shared by several users at times). You can do it on the desktop or in a folder directly under the user folder.

Last fiddled with by Uncwilly on 2019-08-21 at 05:32
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-21, 08:00   #3
M344587487
 
M344587487's Avatar
 
"Composite as Heck"
Oct 2017

2×349 Posts
Default

Scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.
M344587487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-23, 23:38   #4
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar
 
Madpoo's Avatar
 
Jul 2014

29×113 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Install Prime95 into a folder that is not under "Program Files". Prime95 wants to write data in its home folder. The last few versions of Windows don't like that. They want it under 'ProgramData'.

I make a folder up at the root level for it (because some of the machines are shared by several users at times). You can do it on the desktop or in a folder directly under the user folder.
Or suck it up and install to %appdata% or %localappdata% for each user. Works without needing extra permissions although it tends to stink if you wanted to preinstall it on a system since those are user-specific locations (per-user installs, not per-machine).

In a world where you may find yourself using a locked down machine and you're not a local admin, that's the trade-off.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-26, 02:57   #5
ssybesma
 
"Steve Sybesma"
May 2012
Brighton, CO USA

3·52 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldozer View Post
I tried doing that with Desktop App Converter, but it can't write .bu intremidiate files.
Can anyone help me to do that?



This made me wonder if I can run Prime95 on my free AWS account. Haha!
ssybesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-26, 15:23   #6
GP2
 
GP2's Avatar
 
Sep 2003

A1516 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssybesma View Post
This made me wonder if I can run Prime95 on my free AWS account. Haha!
Not really. The free tier instances will throttle the amount of CPU you can use.
GP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-26, 15:38   #7
ssybesma
 
"Steve Sybesma"
May 2012
Brighton, CO USA

3·52 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP2 View Post
Not really. The free tier instances will throttle the amount of CPU you can use.

Yes, I see that actually.

I spun up two Windows 2008 Server VMs last night on AWS with Prime95 running. I won't go more than two.

I think actually I will be charged a few dollars a month because the combined hours per month goes past their limit of 750 by almost double.

One thing I have to find out more about is instance termination. Hopefully both will stay up.


Late note: I saw the thread about using AWS and it suggests using Linux is MUCH cheaper (once I have to start paying). I may go that route but I kind of like getting the hands-on experience with Windows Server. I can't afford to buy it.

Last fiddled with by ssybesma on 2019-08-26 at 16:04
ssybesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-30, 14:37   #8
Bulldozer
 
Jun 2019

3×7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M344587487 View Post
Scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.
Nope. My main purpose is let these who are using Windows 10 S can join in this prime-searching project.
Bulldozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New York: Corpse Wheeled to Check-Cashing Store ewmayer Lounge 2 2008-01-15 16:18
convert 3d into 2d nuggetprime Programming 6 2007-09-22 08:35
Best way to store huge data HiddenWarrior Data 18 2005-10-11 03:53
store prices Fusion_power Puzzles 7 2003-08-31 01:37
I hope the new Apple store in Chicago opening today... Paulie Software 4 2003-07-16 14:19

All times are UTC. The time now is 18:44.

Thu Nov 26 18:44:09 UTC 2020 up 77 days, 15:55, 3 users, load averages: 1.55, 1.55, 1.49

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.