Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

769210 Posts
Default EU Claims Internet Could Fall Apart in November 2005

From Slashdot:

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/13/1843200

The article at Guardian Unlimited:

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/new...589967,00.html

"The European commission is warning that if a deal cannot be reached at a meeting in Tunisia next month the internet will split apart."

Better tidy up things while you can, folks.

If you're wondering why I plan to close up my thread about Brights: It's because The End Is Near.
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-14, 03:57   #2
TTn

23·1,117 Posts

Good, it may help keep things more secure, albeit at a information cost.
Perhaps, the risk would be greater to keep the internet.

Also, the U.S.A. can't expect that complete freedom of information, is a completely good thing for homeland security.

So long as the U.S.A. can watch the other networks without detection,(Which they can with electronic RF detection devices) this must be the lesser of two evils.

Does anyone think it could affect GIMPS?

Strong sheild, and good eyes.
Shane F.
Old 2005-10-14, 08:01   #3
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

24×173 Posts

A strong shield is nonsense. In today's interconnected world there is no way there can be a strong shield. Perhaps the only way to do it is to adopt the Chinese model of the past and we all know where that would put the US in S&T.

Already the reduction in the intake of foreign science graduate students is worrying some people, though I think it will take at least 20 years for the slowdown to have a discernible impact. If you have ever been in a science grad department at any major US university you will know what I mean in terms of US dependence on foreign grads.

One of major reasons why the US has been an economic and scientific power in the last century has been it's openness and freedom of information as compared to almost all the other countries in the world. By putting up strong shields a major competitive advantage is imperiled.

Last fiddled with by garo on 2005-10-14 at 08:10
garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-14, 10:43   #4
TTn

22·3·823 Posts
Talking

Quote:
A strong shield is nonsense
Disagreement if fine, but to say it's nonsense is insulting.
What if I posted that your existence, and use of air, is nonsense.

Perhaps I just did.

TTn
Old 2005-12-26, 08:01   #5
nibble4bits

Nov 2005

2×7×13 Posts

You want to know one of the worst things that can happen to us? What if we became weak and we did it to ourselves? Imagine if one country has open teaching of basic principles, and another punishes anyone who thinks of even the most obvious good ideas? Guess where they'll both be in 40 years in relation to each other. Ignorance may be bliss, but it's short-lived.

One thing that strikes me as funny is that people claim that segmented networks and such are so shocking. I remember when there were many different kinds of networks until the WWW gobbled them up. Anyone remember Telex? Or BBSes? Any supposedly seperate networks would only have a matter of time before being connected to each other. FUD...

Last fiddled with by nibble4bits on 2005-12-26 at 08:05
nibble4bits is offline   Reply With Quote