mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2011-03-26, 21:05   #1
Oddball

May 2010

499 Posts
Default Weird, wacky, and strange coincidences

Here are some of my experiences:

1.) One night, I dreamt that it was sunset and I was walking into an am/pm store with one of my friends. He then asked me "If you're under 21 but over 18, can you legally buy beer in Mexico?" A couple of days later, I was with that friend. We were low on gas, it was sunset, and I had to use the restroom. Sure enough, we pulled into a gas station with an am/pm store, and he said "By the way, if you're not 21, can you legally buy beer in Mexico?"

2.) I was driving when the radio host said "And that's song ??? by singer ??? It's been a wonderful day, and remember to drive safely and carefully." A few moments later, the traffic light in front of me turned yellow. I was at a point where you should probably brake and wait for the next green, but you might be able to hit the gas and get through the intersection before the light turns red. I took the safer option of braking, and was later glad that I did - a cop car was right next to me when we stopped at the intersection.

3.) I was buying two dollars worth of lotto tickets and had two bills: a 5 dollar bill and a one dollar bill. But instead of giving the cashier the $5 bill and getting $3 back, I gave her the $5 bill and the $1 bill for no apparent reason. She gave me 3 one dollar bills for the $5, gave me a strange look, and exchanged the $1 bill I gave her for a different $1 bill from the cash register. When I saw the different $1 bill she gave me, I noticed that it had a serial number that ended in 33333C. If you count the C as a 3 (A=1, B=2, C=3, etc), that's six 3's in a row.

And no, I didn't win the lottery. But for me, that unique bill was worth the $2 I paid for it.

Any other stories?
Oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-28, 16:05   #2
mart_r

Dec 2008
you know...around...

22×11×17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
1.) One night, I dreamt that it was sunset and I was walking into an am/pm store with one of my friends. He then asked me "If you're under 21 but over 18, can you legally buy beer in Mexico?" A couple of days later, I was with that friend. We were low on gas, it was sunset, and I had to use the restroom. Sure enough, we pulled into a gas station with an am/pm store, and he said "By the way, if you're not 21, can you legally buy beer in Mexico?"
Well, I had several similar experiences like this in the past, i.e. dreams that "partially come true", but I don't remember anything this close. Though there sometimes were some stunning similarities between dreams and a situation in real life.
And no, I couldn't predict the lottery numbers this way.

Also a wacky thing: my 13-tuplet search - during the weekend my workplace computer found a solution. By now the chance of not finding a 13-tuplet was below 5%. It took so long that I inserted a search for sextuplets this month - and found a sextuplet big enough to fit into Tony Forbes' list exactly one day before that 13-tuplet!!
mart_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-29, 16:43   #3
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

2·32·137 Posts

Many years ago, my mother had a dream that there was a pair of socks in the toilet. The next morning, we found out that the toilet was clogged!

Also, a few days after my maternal grandmother passed away, my aunt and two cousins all dreamed of her at the same time.

Last fiddled with by ixfd64 on 2011-03-29 at 16:45
ixfd64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-29, 20:32   #4
ATH
Einyen

Dec 2003
Denmark

3,313 Posts

When I was in my early teens or maybe abit younger I heard about the "myth" that, if you think you are dreaming then pinch yourself to check if you can feel it.

Awhile after I actually dreamt that I realized I was dreaming, so I pinched my arm and I couldn't feel a thing :)
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-29, 22:56   #5
Flatlander
I quite division it

"Chris"
Feb 2005
England

81D16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
When I was in my early teens or maybe abit younger I heard about the "myth" that, if you think you are dreaming then pinch yourself to check if you can feel it.

Awhile after I actually dreamt that I realized I was dreaming, so I pinched my arm and I couldn't feel a thing :)
Now I'm confused.
I dreamt I was awake and when I woke up, I was.
Flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-30, 00:07   #6
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

292316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
Now I'm confused.
That is why I carry this loaded die.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-30, 01:42   #7
cmd

"(^r'°:.:)^n;e'e"
Nov 2008
;t:.:;^

23·53 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
Now I'm confused.
We three have dreamed that the first
80671859 could be a M
aroused much laughter to all around flock of sheep
cmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-02, 16:59   #8
only_human

"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

2·1,877 Posts

(this first part is not really relevant but is interesting background)
One particularly successful scion of my family is an uncle that worked on a spy sub and eventually got some information declassified and published a book about it. When Lyndon B. Johnson visited that sub, he ended up writing a letter of recommendation that later was useful when my uncle entered medical school. One time while on submarine nuclear reactor monitoring duty, some panel warning occurred (I definitely don't have the details quite right) and his quite immediate reaction was to turn on a backup water pump (he described his hand reaching forward almost without thought). A later analysis found that the moderator effects of this denser/colder water from this pump raised the reaction rate and was itself a cause of concern (or something -- not sure. I know this is a poorly related story but it is a bit topical these days). Miles away and years later as a doctor he was called upon to look at Reagan's hand at a golf course. His son (my cousin) has a picture shaking Reagan's hand for CSF school honors.

Anyway, I've perhaps visited their house twice in my life but was there one day looking at the framed letter of recommendation and the photo of Reagan with my cousin and joking and implying things about their connections and being a bit funny and also a bit obnoxious because among other things I had dropped in unannounced when my Aunt decided to gather up some of my cousin's extra shirts in case I would like to have some. I think they were too small for him -- or perhaps not. Flash forward a year or two to my first trip real trip anywhere: Hawaii. As soon as I checked into the hotel room I put on an incredibly loud Hawaiian shirt that I had packed (this was a one of those shirts from my cousin) and I headed downstairs out onto the strand there and looked around and felt a bit ridiculous because no one else was wearing a loud Hawaiian shirt like I was and less than one minute later someone I didn't recognize turned, looked at me intently and grabbed my arm. It was my cousin and I was wearing his shirt!

Last fiddled with by only_human on 2011-04-02 at 17:27
only_human is offline   Reply With Quote