mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2005-12-21, 20:50   #1
E_tron

Sep 2002
Austin, TX

3×11×17 Posts
Default Should GIMPS immediately disclose alleged new primes?

Suppose GIMPS had a different philosophy on the discloser of an unverified prime. For example, the exponent was candidly (less candid than it is now) disclosed on the mersenneforum.org before verification. Would the press be more likely to prematurely report the finding? Is this the logic that keeps the unverified primes secret from active GIMPS participants, is it a formality in the scientific process, ect...? I would think no news agency would report on the finding until GIMPS released its official press release.
E_tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 22:38   #2
ValerieVonck

Mar 2004
Belgium

292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_tron
Suppose GIMPS had a different philosophy on the discloser of an unverified prime. For example, the exponent was candidly (less candid than it is now) disclosed on the mersenneforum.org before verification. Would the press be more likely to prematurely report the finding? Is this the logic that keeps the unverified primes secret from active GIMPS participants, is it a formality in the scientific process, ect...? I would think no news agency would report on the finding until GIMPS released its official press release.

Yeah, but somebody did reported it already on SlashDot result: www.mersenne.org & on distributedcomputing.info forum...... I thought of deleting that thread...

My $0.02: I think in the future, the new Mersenne Prime should not be announced announced, only to avoid these kind of problems....

Please don't flame me please
ValerieVonck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 00:24   #3
Mystwalker

Jul 2004
Potsdam, Germany

3×277 Posts

It indeed has been published at a lot of corresponding sites. But I think it's nevertheless an adequate procedure to only tell the particular number if one is certain it's prime.
In addition, you get two news items instead of only one.
Mystwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 00:29   #4
ColdFury

Aug 2002

14016 Posts

Quote:
I would think no news agency would report on the finding until GIMPS released its official press release.
Its happened before when someone leaked the exponent.
ColdFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 00:58   #5
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

7·1,069 Posts

Several comments in no particular order of importance:

Prematurely disclosing the exponent would tempt some smaller operators to publish the result before verification completes. Yes, they might say it is pending verification, but they might not as reporters are of uneven caliber.

At times it has been easier to "sell" the story to a reporter if he is told he will be the first to publish the number.

If we predisclose the number and discoverer that increases the incentive to falsify a prime find for the notoriety of it all. If we predisclose the number and not the discoverer then the discoverer might not get the credit he is due if the news is published early.

Prematurely announcing the exponent is not particulary harmful to GIMPS. The last several have been deduced by people in this forum with no ill effect. GIMPS reputation is firmly established such that reporting a false or faked prime find is unlikely to have much negative impact.

If there were no press involved (my preference as it would make life much simpler) then I agree we could pre-announce the exponent and discoverer. It is easier to "erase" a false find from a web page than a newspaper!

Be thankful for multi-threaded Glucas. Verification used to take well over a month!!

Last fiddled with by Prime95 on 2005-12-22 at 01:00
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 01:16   #6
Lumo

May 2004

2810 Posts
Default Very good

I am very happy that Prime95 realizes that it is not harmful for GIMPS if someone guesses the number in advance. Still, there is only one blog in the world that informs its readers about the right number.

At any rate, everyone, including Curtis Cooper, seems to know that the number is around thirty million. How many people may learn the number before the Xmas? If they start to believe the single blog that has broken the news, there may be as many as four hundred thousand people who will get it - half of Boston.

The propagation of information can be very fast; we are living after the year two thousand, after all. There are about four hundred truly active people involved in GIMPS. There is about a fifty percent probability that the discoverer would be a part of one of the two leading teams. We will still have to find seven Mersenne prime before the total number is nicely rounded.

I hope that my encryption of the discoverer and the new Mersenne exponent has been sufficiently obscure for a casual reader.
Lumo is offline   Reply With Quote