mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Science & Technology

Old 2005-10-06, 18:24   #1
bearnol

Sep 2005

1778 Posts
Default Sending Mersenne exponents into space

In the spirit of the film "Contact" [only hopefully better] or Voyager...
It occurred to me that the Mersenne exponents (completely unchanged in our symbolic representation - they could easily deduce the symbols are digits, and that we work in base-10) might make good candidates for inscription on future Voyager(s) to communicate our civilization's intelligence and progress to ET(s)?
bearnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-06, 19:34   #2
kubus

May 2003
Warsaw

3×5 Posts

Why not use a binary representation?

Personally, I think sending only 42 Mersenne exponents can only show that our civilization is very poor. I see how they are smiling and asking "why the humans are intrested in Mersenne primes? It is ugly part of math, there is a general formula, stupid humans."

I suggest we should stick with sending only some first prime numbers.
kubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-07, 00:57   #3
Peter Nelson

Oct 2004

232 Posts

I think bearnol's idea is a good one, although I absolutely agree binary representation is more universal.

Binary expression of exponents also fits with the form 2^p -1 which enumerates to strings of 1 in binary.

Therefore such encoding might include
binary exponent and binary expansion of the related mersenne number (for the first few).

Alternatively we could encode perfect numbers in some way.

Rather than simply put this on a spacecraft, we should be transmitting this bitstream in the direction of the nearest star using a high power laser beam.
Peter Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-21, 11:18   #4
mfgoode
Bronze Medalist

Jan 2004
Mumbai,India

22·33·19 Posts
Cool Sending Meresenne exponents into space

:surprised
I am afraid it is a bit late to be thinking of sending messages of numbers altho' succeeding generations will receive the answers and not us living now.
NASA had thought about this decades ago and sent a plaque of a man and woman and the Pythagoras theorem figure. No need of figuring out numbers.
They figured out that Geom figures are better even tho they might be subject to lateral inversion. BTW The well known constants were also sent such as c. pi, etc. There has been no reply from anyone(alien) so far.
Mally
mfgoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-21, 15:07   #5
victor

Oct 2005
Fribourg, Switzerlan

22·32·7 Posts

kubus, why should we look smarter than we are?
victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-31, 21:21   #6
kubus

May 2003
Warsaw

3·5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor
kubus, why should we look smarter than we are?
You got me. That's right, the truth about us will finally be the best for us. Hiding anything can only introduce a misunderstanding.

Thanks your question I realized the more we show the more we can get from aliens. For example if we send the mersenne exponents they can send us back a general formula.
kubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-11-27, 03:00   #7
nngs

Jun 2004

22×3×5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubus
Why not use a binary representation?

Personally, I think sending only 42 Mersenne exponents can only show that our civilization is very poor. I see how they are smiling and asking "why the humans are intrested in Mersenne primes? It is ugly part of math, there is a general formula, stupid humans."

I suggest we should stick with sending only some first prime numbers.

Aliens might be still struggling on finding 30th Mersenne prime
nngs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-20, 04:04   #8
thechickenman

Nov 2005
South Carolina

7×11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nngs
Aliens might be still struggling on finding 30th Mersenne prime
Aliens might be like 90% of the people who know I am intrested in these things...

"Who cares?"
thechickenman is offline   Reply With Quote