mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2017-11-07, 01:18   #1
ModeEric
 
Nov 2017

1 Posts
Default A proof for the worlds largest prime

I have managed to come up with a proof in order to prove that infinitely many Messene's primes exist, because I have found a way to generate a select few of them. However, I want credit for them, so would anyone know where I should share my discoveries in order to publish it?
ModeEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-07, 02:31   #2
Batalov
 
Batalov's Avatar
 
"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

3·43·73 Posts
Default

You could submit your discoveries straight to the Nobel prize committee.
Or you could publish them here.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-07, 03:21   #3
wblipp
 
wblipp's Avatar
 
"William"
May 2003
New Haven

3·787 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModeEric View Post
I have managed to come up with a proof in order to prove that infinitely many Messene's primes exist, because I have found a way to generate a select few of them. However, I want credit for them, so would anyone know where I should share my discoveries in order to publish it?
You are going to have a hard time getting taken seriously. Most people are going to ask themselves "This is somebody so far removed from mainstream mathematics that he doesn't know anyone who knows how to publish - how likely is it that he has found something that has eluded mathematicians for centuries?" Those that give it any further consideration are going to think "It sounds like this guy thinks finding a few is proof he could find infinitely many." This falls in the realm of "extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof."

My suggestion for how to overcome this wall of doubt is to post here three exponents for presently unknown Mersenne primes and an explanation of why you believe they are prime, After such a demonstration you will have your choice of many people eager to help you through the publishing process, and your claim will be solidly linked to your name because everybody that learns about it will be referred to that post.
wblipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-07, 05:06   #4
CRGreathouse
 
CRGreathouse's Avatar
 
Aug 2006

176116 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblipp View Post
You are going to have a hard time getting taken seriously. Most people are going to ask themselves "This is somebody so far removed from mainstream mathematics that he doesn't know anyone who knows how to publish - how likely is it that he has found something that has eluded mathematicians for centuries?" Those that give it any further consideration are going to think "It sounds like this guy thinks finding a few is proof he could find infinitely many." This falls in the realm of "extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof."
Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblipp View Post
My suggestion for how to overcome this wall of doubt is to post here three exponents for presently unknown Mersenne primes and an explanation of why you believe they are prime, After such a demonstration you will have your choice of many people eager to help you through the publishing process, and your claim will be solidly linked to your name because everybody that learns about it will be referred to that post.
If the OP posted three explicit exponents and they were verified as previously-unknown Mersenne exponents that would go a very long way toward convincing people of such a method. You'd have people beating down your door to learn how it worked.

For some reason, though, claimants usually get shy once asked for exponents. I mean, for all the miracle methods I've heard about I don't think a single one has provided a novel Mersenne exponent.
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-07, 06:20   #5
axn
 
axn's Avatar
 
Jun 2003

115378 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblipp View Post
My suggestion for how to overcome this wall of doubt is to post here three exponents for presently unknown Mersenne primes
Heck, one would be great, if it can be independently verified to be prime.
axn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-07, 07:08   #6
Batalov
 
Batalov's Avatar
 
"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

3×43×73 Posts
Talking

/frantically/ "Let it please please please not be about MM127 (and MMM127 etc...) again!"
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-07, 08:06   #7
CRGreathouse
 
CRGreathouse's Avatar
 
Aug 2006

176116 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axn View Post
Heck, one would be great, if it can be independently verified to be prime.
Sure. But if all you have is one, I'd be much more inclined to think you used Prime95 or similar software to discover it, then made up a backstory for the discovery. (Someone had to discover it, after all, and perhaps this is just that person -- not a coincidence at all.) The sheer amount of effort (or luck) required to find three, though, would force me to seriously consider other alternatives.
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-07, 08:40   #8
heliosh
 
Oct 2017
++41

53 Posts
Default

How about running a LL on one of your exponents first to prove your theory?
heliosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-07, 08:43   #9
axn
 
axn's Avatar
 
Jun 2003

115378 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
Sure. But if all you have is one, I'd be much more inclined to think you used Prime95 or similar software to discover it, then made up a backstory for the discovery. (Someone had to discover it, after all, and perhaps this is just that person -- not a coincidence at all.) The sheer amount of effort (or luck) required to find three, though, would force me to seriously consider other alternatives.
The thought did occur to me. However I didn't want to discourage OP. Baby steps and all that
axn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-07, 12:29   #10
jwaltos
 
jwaltos's Avatar
 
Apr 2012
Brady

2×33×7 Posts
Default

Modal(Logic)Eric:
Here are some possible venues for you to explore and possibly revise your initial post:

https://www.scottaaronson.com/blog/?p=304

Also, read up on `mathematical crankery` and determine if you fit any of the profiles.

Once you have familiarized yourself with the above you can either choose to attempt to fake everyone out or (better option) attempt to provide some genuine and independently verifiable results. Everyone makes mistakes but making false and unsubstantiated claims is worse. By making such statements within this and similar forums you may be gently guided in the appropriate direction by certain forum members initially or you will be flayed and become a mockery. Choose wisely.
jwaltos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-07, 13:50   #11
science_man_88
 
science_man_88's Avatar
 
"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

203008 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModeEric View Post
I have managed to come up with a proof in order to prove that infinitely many Messene's primes exist, because I have found a way to generate a select few of them. However, I want credit for them, so would anyone know where I should share my discoveries in order to publish it?
you probably came to an idea, that's been brought up before, but has proved wrong.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(M48) NEW MERSENNE PRIME! LARGEST PRIME NUMBER DISCOVERED! dabaichi News 571 2020-10-26 11:02
probable largest prime. sudaprime Miscellaneous Math 11 2018-02-05 08:10
Largest known prime Unregistered Information & Answers 24 2008-12-13 08:13
Largest 64 bit prime? amcfarlane Math 6 2004-12-26 23:15
need Pentium 4s for 5th largest prime search (largest proth) wfgarnett3 Lounge 7 2002-11-25 06:34

All times are UTC. The time now is 10:22.

Sat May 8 10:22:38 UTC 2021 up 30 days, 5:03, 0 users, load averages: 3.25, 3.11, 2.94

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.