mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Old 2022-12-05, 03:57   #56
VBCurtis

"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

2×32×313 Posts

Find the power rating in watts of the CPU in the machine, and do some math. That math is simple, but assumes the machine would be powered on anyway. If not, then double the CPU power rating to estimate the whole machine.

Example math: 50 watts * 24 hr = 1200 watt-hours each day, 1.2kwh. 30 days in a month = 36 kwh extra each month. Business cost per kwh is usually higher than residential- you can guess by using the highest rate tier for your residential region. Around here, that's 30 cents or so, so $10/month to run GIMPS on a 50watt cpu.

Change "50" to actual CPU power draw, and you're in business.
VBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-05, 14:25   #57
EulerMaxell

Feb 2022

2·11 Posts
Default How much electricity does GIMPS require and how much does that cost?

I am wondering how much electricity GIMPS requires and how much the cost of electricity will be increased by running GIMPS.
EulerMaxell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-05, 23:03   #58
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

2×29×127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EulerMaxell View Post
I am wondering how much electricity GIMPS requires and how much the cost of electricity will be increased by running GIMPS.
GIMPS is not an electrical device so that question is a non sequitur.
Electrical use will vary greatly depending on what computing hardware is used, to run what software, on what tasks, for how many hours per year. It could be within the capabilities and thermal budget of a single laptop, or more than enough to heat a home during 0 C outdoor temperature. Electrical cost depends on usage, sometimes scheduling of usage, and on applicable local utility rates & whether the waste heat will be useful (home heating) or an added load on air conditioning. You seem to seek an answer but have given none of the necessary inputs from which to create an estimate.
That's similar to asking how much it costs to own and operate a vehicle, without specifying make or model, or age, or usage, or local regulatory environment, or local fuel cost per unit, or whether the driver/owner is a good or poor insurance risk. If it's an 18 wheeler running 50 hours/week, the answer is very different than for a new luxury car, or old used work pickup, subcompact hybrid, or moped. How much will my next vehicle cost to operate?

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2022-12-05 at 23:04
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-06, 01:17   #59
EulerMaxell

Feb 2022

2×11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
GIMPS is not an electrical device so that question is a non sequitur.
Electrical use will vary greatly depending on what computing hardware is used, to run what software, on what tasks, for how many hours per year. It could be within the capabilities and thermal budget of a single laptop, or more than enough to heat a home during 0 C outdoor temperature. Electrical cost depends on usage, sometimes scheduling of usage, and on applicable local utility rates & whether the waste heat will be useful (home heating) or an added load on air conditioning. You seem to seek an answer but have given none of the necessary inputs from which to create an estimate.
That's similar to asking how much it costs to own and operate a vehicle, without specifying make or model, or age, or usage, or local regulatory environment, or local fuel cost per unit, or whether the driver/owner is a good or poor insurance risk. If it's an 18 wheeler running 50 hours/week, the answer is very different than for a new luxury car, or old used work pickup, subcompact hybrid, or moped. How much will my next vehicle cost to operate?
Well, you can make simplifying assumptions. You don't consider the extremes like a costly car or a worn car or truck or a mighty server-grade computer, or an efficient laptop.

In general, how much of a difference does it make to run GIMPS is my question?
Old 2022-12-06, 01:19   #60
EulerMaxell

Feb 2022

101102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCurtis View Post
Find the power rating in watts of the CPU in the machine, and do some math. That math is simple, but assumes the machine would be powered on anyway. If not, then double the CPU power rating to estimate the whole machine.

Example math: 50 watts * 24 hr = 1200 watt-hours each day, 1.2kwh. 30 days in a month = 36 kwh extra each month. Business cost per kwh is usually higher than residential- you can guess by using the highest rate tier for your residential region. Around here, that's 30 cents or so, so $10/month to run GIMPS on a 50watt cpu.

Change "50" to actual CPU power draw, and you're in business.
How do I find out my laptop's power rating?
Old 2022-12-06, 01:37   #61
VBCurtis

"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

130028 Posts

Quote:
Google it.
VBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-06, 01:40   #62
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

32×1,117 Posts

Quote:
You can search for the specs by yourself -- or you can let CPU-Z find it for you and show it to you.
Search for "TDP" in the "CPU" tab. It is likely better to multiply that TDP by 1.5.
Even more precise - buy and plug in a wattage meter.

In the most contrasting case: suppose the laptop without GIMPS is hibernating 2/3 of the day (spending no wattage), and if you install and run GIMPS 24x7 take TDP times 1.5; then do arithmetic on those values and multiply by electricity rate.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote