mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2020-01-24, 15:27   #1
kladner
 
kladner's Avatar
 
"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

267616 Posts
Default Why did my DC assignments go from CAT 1 to Cat 4?

The machine in question just went from Win 7 to Win 10, though I don't think there was more than a couple of days slow down. The CAT 4 has not been started. I suppose it's not that big a deal, just puzzling.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-24, 16:29   #2
sdbardwick
 
sdbardwick's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
North San Diego County

2×32×37 Posts
Default

One of my boxes did the same after a Win 10 in-place upgrade.
I now have a duplicate PC; with a creation date of the day the upgrade took place.(Edit: Sheesh, that's not what I meant )
the original computer has a last activity date of the day the upgrade took place.

Last fiddled with by sdbardwick on 2020-01-24 at 16:36
sdbardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-24, 17:12   #3
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

803210 Posts
Default

1st check to see if you now have duplicate CPU's listed on your account. If so, that would be an outcome of the new OS. Prime95 likely detected the OS mismatch to what it had in some file (maybe in ComputerGUID ).

Therefore, until this combination of CPU, OS, and Prime95 is proved good, back to Cat4 for a bit. Figure in a few weeks you will be back.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-24, 17:50   #4
kladner
 
kladner's Avatar
 
"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2×32×547 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
1st check to see if you now have duplicate CPU's listed on your account. If so, that would be an outcome of the new OS. Prime95 likely detected the OS mismatch to what it had in some file (maybe in ComputerGUID ).

Therefore, until this combination of CPU, OS, and Prime95 is proved good, back to Cat4 for a bit. Figure in a few weeks you will be back.
Thanks Uncwilly. I found that I had 4 instances of this computer. One difference I could see is that some had the name (POD64) in all caps. Unfortunately, after merging, I ended up with the lower case version which is not my preferred form, but whatever.


EDIT: After the more or less successful transition to Win 10, P95 did complain of a CPU mismatch.
Quote:
[Tue Jan 21 21:24:00 2020 - ver 29.8]
Updating computer information on the server
PrimeNet error 33: CPU identity mismatch
CPU identity mismatch: g=69df643cc3a1b58d418f1a32bc21bb5f hg=7f242526f28e3dd593a99c1521457992 wg=81cad456d6cea50fb2f7039564849a16

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2020-01-24 at 17:54
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-24, 19:50   #5
ewmayer
2ω=0
 
ewmayer's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
República de California

1115010 Posts
Default

"Why did my DC assignments go from CAT 1 to Cat 4?" -- not to be flippant, but have you had your CATs spayed/neutered? Sounds like they're breeding.

[OK, I lied about the "not to be flippant" bit. :]
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-24, 20:31   #6
ATH
Einyen
 
ATH's Avatar
 
Dec 2003
Denmark

54228 Posts
Default

Unfortunately it will probably be 120 days until you are back to Cat 1, provided you return at least 5 results in those 120 days with no expired, bad or suspect results, and have enough Ghz-days to indicate a Cat 1 results will be finished in 30 days:

https://www.mersenne.org/thresholds/

You could try to merge the 2 CPUs with the same name, but I do NOT know if this will fix it, maybe George or Aaron knows before you try:
https://www.mersenne.org/cpus/

Last fiddled with by ATH on 2020-01-24 at 20:35
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-24, 20:49   #7
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

25×251 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
Unfortunately it will probably be 120 days until you are back to Cat 1, provided you return at least 5 results in those 120 days with no expired, bad or suspect results, and have enough Ghz-days to indicate a Cat 1 results will be finished in 30 days
My new machine got Cat 0 fairly rapidly. From Nov 22 to Dec 26 it turned in the needed 10 numbers. One was a carryover from its predecessor machine. It got a Cat 1 after five, then Cat 0 after 10. The time is any outside level. If I had set it to do 2 DC's at the same time it would have been even sooner.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-24, 21:49   #8
Prime95
P90 years forever!
 
Prime95's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

6,833 Posts
Default

Upon upgrading Windows, prime95 will think this is a new computer and generate a new computer ID. Thus, cat 4 assignments.

You can merge the 2 CPUs, then make sure your machine is using the same UID as reported on the CPUs web page. Restart prime95 and unreserve the cat 4 assignment.

Good luck
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-24, 22:26   #9
ATH
Einyen
 
ATH's Avatar
 
Dec 2003
Denmark

2·13·109 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
My new machine got Cat 0 fairly rapidly. From Nov 22 to Dec 26 it turned in the needed 10 numbers. One was a carryover from its predecessor machine. It got a Cat 1 after five, then Cat 0 after 10. The time is any outside level. If I had set it to do 2 DC's at the same time it would have been even sooner.
Ok, I thought these sentences meant that a new computer account must actually have 120+ days worth of "history":

Quote:
Computer must have enough LL and DC GHz-days over the last 120 days to indicate the assignment will be completed in 30 days (including the setting for "days of work to queue").
Computer must have no expired assignments or bad or suspect results in the last 120 days.
Computer must have returned at least 5 results in the last 120 days.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
You can merge the 2 CPUs, then make sure your machine is using the same UID as reported on the CPUs web page. Restart prime95 and unreserve the cat 4 assignment.
Remember if you have to copy the UID from the cpu account on mersenne.org to the "ComputerGUID=" line in "local.txt", then you have to change all the upper case letters to lower case letters.

At least I had to do that with mprime on Linux, I assume it is the same for Prime95.

Last fiddled with by ATH on 2020-01-24 at 22:31
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-27, 23:55   #10
kladner
 
kladner's Avatar
 
"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2·32·547 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
"Why did my DC assignments go from CAT 1 to Cat 4?" -- not to be flippant, but have you had your CATs spayed/neutered? Sounds like they're breeding.

[OK, I lied about the "not to be flippant" bit. :]
Cats are not in the picture here. Dan is allergic to them, even though he likes them.
(Deadpan literal-mindedness is its own brand of flippancy.)

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2020-01-28 at 17:39 Reason: remove improper apostrophe
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-28, 00:09   #11
kladner
 
kladner's Avatar
 
"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2×32×547 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
Upon upgrading Windows, prime95 will think this is a new computer and generate a new computer ID. Thus, cat 4 assignments.

You can merge the 2 CPUs, then make sure your machine is using the same UID as reported on the CPUs web page. Restart prime95 and unreserve the cat 4 assignment.

Good luck
Thanks George. I just let nature take its course, the assignment is complete, and I'm back at CAT 1. I'll check on the UID, but I think the issue is history. Assignments are showing up on mersenne.org which match what's actually running or queued.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Completed assignments still in GPU72 Assignments page kladner GPU to 72 3 2019-06-15 01:19
Assignments storm5510 GPU to 72 4 2018-04-23 02:25
No assignments available? dh1 GPU to 72 5 2016-10-10 03:36
Not getting CAT 1 assignments lycorn PrimeNet 8 2015-12-24 03:17
Where did all the LL assignments go? petrw1 PrimeNet 34 2007-05-30 19:52

All times are UTC. The time now is 10:53.

Sat May 30 10:53:32 UTC 2020 up 66 days, 8:26, 1 user, load averages: 1.26, 1.46, 1.67

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.