Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware

Old 2022-05-14, 13:51   #1
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

2·32·271 Posts
Default Figuring Out What to Search For - Server/GPU

My gremlin entity is constantly making sure my GPU/computer match up is always short an item, such as my Z620s that only have two 6-pin PCI power connectors, or a heat sink is strategically placed in the wrong location under the card. I could go, but will spare everyone who is still reading.

I've been searching and reading user guides and spec sheets and can't figure out what supports what.

Is there a way to determine if a rack server, like an R620 can house and run a Tesla M40 GPU? Will the card fit the riser? Do two 8-pin PCI connectors exist? What else won't work. ATM, it seems like the only way to tell is to buy the server and find out it doesn't have what's needed.

What type of server is needed if the R620 won't work? Is it necessary to spend a lot of money, or are there used systems that can actually work?

What about mining servers? (Probably nothing inexpensive there, right?!?)
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-30, 21:55   #2
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

56078 Posts

You might want to ask on https://forum.level1techs.com/

I know Wendell over there 3D printed some blowers to put server GPUs into desktop cases.
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-31, 02:29   #3
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

487810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rose View Post
You might want to ask on https://forum.level1techs.com/

I know Wendell over there 3D printed some blowers to put server GPUs into desktop cases.
Thanks! I've been looking at 3D fan shrouds, etc., but I'm running into all kinds of other things trying to piece something together. I'm even having trouble figuring out a heat sink/cooler if I get a LGA2011 board to support Xeon E5-26XX CPUs. Everything shows either clips with nothing to hook them to, or a round base mount that won't fit within the RAM modules. And every desktop board that looks like it might match what I'm looking for has a heavily heatsinked component right under where the double-wide GPU will sit. That's why a machine I already have didn't work. That component kept hanging up the motherboard because I couldn't put a fan on it with the GPU in place.

I've actually given up for now, but I do appreciate your post.
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-31, 13:04   #4
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

6,823 Posts

If the case is roomy enough, a short PCIe riser might provide clearance over assorted obstacles on the motherboard.
But even without a riser, I've found some GPUs tall enough to require small accommodations like removing or repositioning the holddown block from an HP Z600 side cover.

3D printed blower adapters for some server style GPU models are often offered on eBay. (Most will serve on several model numbers.)
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote