mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2021-03-29, 18:07   #12
a1call
 
a1call's Avatar
 
"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

29·71 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudPrime View Post
Hey folks,

So I have $100k in AWS credits that I need to find a good use for. I was tempted to just run folding@home but then I came across the EFF prize for the 100m digit prime and I have to admit it piqued my interest.

Suppose I was to spin up a p4d.24xlarge ec2 instance, I could afford roughly ~3k hours - do you think that would have a decent shot at cracking it - or are there already supercomputers on the job?
Why try to win $100k with very low probability of success rather than sub-lease your credits for sure cash?
You should get plenty of interested parties at say 1/10 ratio which will put $10k in your pocket with much better odds.
a1call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-29, 18:19   #13
chalsall
If I May
 
chalsall's Avatar
 
"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

262316 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudPrime View Post
Against the TOS unfortunately!
Just wondering... How did you get $100K USD in AWS credits?

I'm currently spending a little bit of coin with AWS, and I haven't been given such an offer. What, exactly, is the secret for the windfall?
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-29, 18:30   #14
CloudPrime
 
Mar 2021

7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1call View Post
Why try to win $100k with very low probability of success rather than sub-lease your credits for sure cash?
You should get plenty of interested parties at say 1/10 ratio which will put $10k in your pocket with much better odds.
Also against the TOS I'm afraid! :(
CloudPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-29, 18:37   #15
CloudPrime
 
Mar 2021

7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Just wondering... How did you get $100K USD in AWS credits?

I'm currently spending a little bit of coin with AWS, and I haven't been given such an offer. What, exactly, is the secret for the windfall?
It was through a startup accelerator which is an AWS Activate partner, but I also know of people who have received credits by joining co-working spaces. Not sure if they got the full $100k too, but might be worth looking into if you can get enough credits to offset the cost of a month's membership.

There's a couple of catches of course - you can't apply it to reserved instances, and not every AWS service is eligible, but the majority of use cases should be covered from what I've found.
CloudPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-29, 23:52   #16
mathwiz
 
Mar 2019

101101102 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudPrime View Post
It was through a startup accelerator which is an AWS Activate partner, but I also know of people who have received credits by joining co-working spaces. Not sure if they got the full $100k too, but might be worth looking into if you can get enough credits to offset the cost of a month's membership.

There's a couple of catches of course - you can't apply it to reserved instances, and not every AWS service is eligible, but the majority of use cases should be covered from what I've found.
So what counts as a startup? I have a great idea for a synergistic cloud based banana peeler that utilizes the blockchain....
mathwiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-30, 00:52   #17
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

9,811 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathwiz View Post
synergistic cloud based banana peeler
Will that scale?
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-30, 01:22   #18
mathwiz
 
Mar 2019

2×7×13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Will that scale?
It's designed for enterprise grade workloads. No monkeying around.
mathwiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-11, 16:06   #19
drkirkby
 
"David Kirkby"
Jan 2021
Althorne, Essex, UK

2·211 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axn View Post
No one is actively pursuing the 100m digit EFF prize - it's a bit of quixotic effort at this point.
I thought I'd have a shot at it, but after starting one test

https://www.mersenne.org/report_expo...2646233&full=1

I regret starting it. I've had it nearly two months and are not even half-way to completing the PRP test.

At the minute it is running on one core of a 26-core CPU. The number of cores it gets changes depending on how I am feeling about it.

Last fiddled with by drkirkby on 2021-04-11 at 16:07 Reason: Because I felt like it
drkirkby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-11, 16:10   #20
PhilF
 
PhilF's Avatar
 
Feb 2005
Colorado

12168 Posts
Default

Give it 2 cores minimum. That's because 1 worker with 1 helper running on separate cores, not separate threads on the same core, is MUCH faster than 1 core by itself.
PhilF is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
so who got the $25,000 cut of the $100k EFF prize? ixfd64 Lounge 10 2012-09-22 15:55
Question about credits MooMoo2 Twin Prime Search 9 2011-06-15 08:38
A new termination below 100k 10metreh Aliquot Sequences 0 2010-03-11 18:24
CREDITS GONE pegaso56 Information & Answers 2 2009-12-15 02:55
How to create TWO fat CPU credits? ET_ PrimeNet 12 2008-11-03 22:11

All times are UTC. The time now is 17:23.


Fri Jul 30 17:23:56 UTC 2021 up 7 days, 11:52, 0 users, load averages: 2.77, 2.90, 2.54

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.