mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Old 2012-04-14, 18:47   #1
Unregistered

11D116 Posts
Default why is http://www.mersenne.org/ so slow

I burn a lot of CPU cycles for GIMPS, but I am disgusted with the speed of the http://www.mersenne.org/ pages.

Unfair standard when you want speed from our computers!
Old 2012-04-14, 20:27   #2
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

101001101100102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I burn a lot of CPU cycles for GIMPS, but I am disgusted with the speed of the http://www.mersenne.org/ pages.

Unfair standard when you want speed from our computers!
Almost always works well for me. Sometimes slow, mostly not.

Perhaps you could ask your ISP to see if there's anything wrong with your connection?
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 21:04   #3
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

3×43×73 Posts

No, the OP does have a point - especially in the first minutes of every hour (and we know why). Every once in a while, one can even get the coveted "pnErrorResult=3 pnErrorDetail=Database unavailable ==END==" result, frame it and put it on the wall to adore.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 21:18   #4
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3×29×83 Posts

@OP -- PrimeNet's slowness has always been one of the shortcomings of GIMPS (IMO anyways). We all know its slow, but considering that GIMPS is run entirely on volunteer efforts and donations, it's slightly amazing that it works at all. It's fast enough for computers needing to get work, so we just deal with it. In case you're not aware, avoid using the pages at the top of the hour; that's when it runs all the report updates, e.g. "Results reported in the last hour" and all the "Top xxx Producers" reports. That takes more than a bit of server side crunching.

Many of us also believe that it may have something to do with the fact that PrimeNet runs on Windows software -- may or may not contribute to its slowness . If you're willing to fund moving the server to more powerful hardware, and/or moving it to some sort of LAMP setup, we'd love to see it . (Of course, that also requires the cooperation of Mr. Woltman, but he does have a regular job, on top of all the coding he does to make Prime95 as fast as possible.)

tl;dr: Yes, it is kind of slow, but in a massive volunteer effort, luxuries like a slightly faster server are hard to come by -- we're just happy that it works at all.

Edit: @chalsall: How do we know if the slowness if hardware or software? I've been wondering that one for quite a while now.

Last fiddled with by Dubslow on 2012-04-14 at 21:25
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 21:24   #5
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·3·5·11·29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
No, the OP does have a point - especially in the first minutes of every hour (and we know why). Every once in a while, one can even get the coveted "pnErrorResult=3 pnErrorDetail=Database unavailable ==END==" result, frame it and put it on the wall to adore.
But the OP has a point which should be considered...

Why does PrimeNet sometimes give the "Database unavailable" error message later in the hour, when it's not busy doing summary queries? Or, take a really long time to answer simple queries? Like, for example, it is doing right now.

Resource starvation anyone?

Since PrimeNet is running on WinBlows, wouldn't it make sense to automate a daily reboot?
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 21:34   #6
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·3·5·11·29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post
If you're willing to fund moving the server to more powerful hardware, and/or moving it to some sort of LAMP setup, we'd love to see it .
And let us please identify the elephant in the room...

After GIMPS won $100,000, there was a promise that Mersenne.org would be upgraded to a modern hardware / software platform.

To the best of my knowledge, this hasn't happened.
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 21:38   #7
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3×29×83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post

After GIMPS won $100,000, there was a promise that Mersenne.org would be upgraded to a modern hardware / software platform.

...But like I said, we're a volunteer effort; more to the point, just about everyone here either has a day job and little spare time, or is not capable of re-creating the server in the LAMP environment. (I fall into the second category )
Quote:
Like, for example, it is doing right now.
I just found out what you meant :/

I gave it 30 seconds and hadn't even gotten HTTP headers back as a response.

Last fiddled with by Dubslow on 2012-04-14 at 21:41
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 23:49   #8
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

41×113 Posts

Quote:
Why does PrimeNet sometimes give the "Database unavailable" error message later in the hour, when it's not busy doing summary queries?
I had assumed (admittedly without a shred of proof - though it did afford me some comfort believing it) that these were the time our bigger users were doing large results/updates/reservations
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 23:52   #9
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

41×113 Posts

Quote:

There were a couple posts from George a good year ago on this topic.
I vaguely remember it had something to do with George and Scott still trying to come to terms.
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 10:00   #10
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

4,813 Posts

Quote:

Last year some of us contributed a small money donation to GIMPS, but AFAIK, they are still at 3% of the projected goal.

Luigi
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-15, 15:10   #11
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22×3×641 Posts

Quote:
But the OP has a point which should be considered...

Why does PrimeNet sometimes give the "Database unavailable" error message later in the hour, when it's not busy doing summary queries? Or, take a really long time to answer simple queries? Like, for example, it is doing right now.
I, too, started noticing a few days ago that responses from mersenne.org were slow even when not in the first 7-8 minutes of each hour.
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote