Old 2017-01-23, 18:37   #12
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

10010000100002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Chernykh View Post
I think it was Free-DC Stats owner himself - he's already registered in the project :)
That's Phil aka Bok.
pinhodecarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-24, 10:17   #13
ChristianB

Apr 2013
Germany

2×32×17 Posts

Hi Sergei,

that looks like a well planned project start. Could I ask you to write a report on your experience setting up this project to be shared with the BOINC developer community and future project owners? I would be interested in the obstacles you encountered and how you solved them. I'm also always interested in how to evolve the documentation to give a better overview how to create projects and applications. I would also be interested in how much time you invested in the several stages needed for a project.
ChristianB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-24, 10:42   #14
Sergei Chernykh

Jun 2015
Stockholm, Sweden

1238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianB View Post
Hi Sergei,

that looks like a well planned project start. Could I ask you to write a report on your experience setting up this project to be shared with the BOINC developer community and future project owners? I would be interested in the obstacles you encountered and how you solved them. I'm also always interested in how to evolve the documentation to give a better overview how to create projects and applications. I would also be interested in how much time you invested in the several stages needed for a project.
If only I remembered all issues I had... Nothing difficult, rather a lot of small issues. For example, when I first compiled BOINC server/libs/tools, it didn't give me any (clearly visible) errors, but most of tools just didn't compile. Only make_project script gave me an error that it couldn't find something. After a short investigation I installed MySQL dev headers and then did _autosetup -> configure -> make again, and it compiled fine.

Other issues were mainly related with my server running nginx + PHP7 FastCGI instead of Apache + PHP5 which is default in documentation. I spent some time configuring nginx to use BOINC's fcgi handler properly, setting permissions, folder paths etc.

There were a couple places in documentation which were obsolete (configuration parameter names were different). I had to search through the BOINC code to find the actual names. I don't remember already what it was exactly.

Regarding the time I spent:
Sergei Chernykh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-24, 10:55   #15
ChristianB

Apr 2013
Germany

2·32·17 Posts

Quote:
Other issues were mainly related with my server running nginx + PHP7 FastCGI instead of Apache + PHP5 which is default in documentation. I spent some time configuring nginx to use BOINC's fcgi handler properly, setting permissions, folder paths etc.
That's interesting. I tried to use nginx for normal cgi stuff (scheduler) in the past but couldn't get it to work. I use nginx for download and upload servers where I run the file upload handler as fcgi using multiwatch and spawn_fcgi, this tends to be way faster than apache. Could you provide your nginx/PHP7 configuration so it can be added to the documentation?
Old 2017-01-24, 11:08   #16
Sergei Chernykh

Jun 2015
Stockholm, Sweden

83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianB View Post
That's interesting. I tried to use nginx for normal cgi stuff (scheduler) in the past but couldn't get it to work. I use nginx for download and upload servers where I run the file upload handler as fcgi using multiwatch and spawn_fcgi, this tends to be way faster than apache. Could you provide your nginx/PHP7 configuration so it can be added to the documentation?
Sure. I have this in nginx's server block:
Code:
        location /boinc {
            autoindex off;
        }

location /boinc/Amicable/ {
            index index.php;
            autoindex off;
        }

location /boinc/Amicable/stats/ {
            autoindex on;
        }

location /boinc/Amicable_ops {
            index index.php;
            autoindex off;
            auth_basic "Restricted Content";
            auth_basic_user_file /etc/nginx/.htpasswd;
        }

location /boinc/Amicable_cgi/cgi {
            autoindex off;
            fastcgi_pass   unix:/run/boinc/cgi.sock;
            fastcgi_param  SCRIPT_FILENAME  $document_root$fastcgi_script_name;
            include        fastcgi_params;
        }

location /boinc/Amicable_cgi/file_upload_handler {
            autoindex off;
            fastcgi_pass   unix:/run/boinc/file_upload_handler.sock;
            fastcgi_param  SCRIPT_FILENAME  $document_root$fastcgi_script_name;
            include        fastcgi_params;
        }
All paths in the web server's dirs are just links (created with 'ln' command) to actual folders in project dir. I added them as needed (when I got 404 errors).

And my script to start FastCGI handlers (run it in project's dir):
Code:
#!/bin/bash
rm /run/boinc/*
cd cgi-bin
nohup spawn-fcgi -s /run/boinc/cgi.sock -n -- /usr/bin/multiwatch -f 1 -t 0 cgi > cgi.out &
nohup spawn-fcgi -s /run/boinc/file_upload_handler.sock -n -- /usr/bin/multiwatch -f 1 -t 0 file_upload_handler > file_upload_handler.out &
P.S. I manually renamed fcgi to cgi and fcgi_file_upload_handler to file_upload_handler

Last fiddled with by Sergei Chernykh on 2017-01-24 at 11:12
Old 2017-01-24, 11:18   #17
ChristianB

Apr 2013
Germany

2·32·17 Posts

Thanks. I'll replicate this and add it to the documentation.
Old 2017-01-30, 09:35   #18
Sergei Chernykh

Jun 2015
Stockholm, Sweden

83 Posts

The project is now open for everyone, invite code is not required.
Old 2017-02-27, 22:02   #19
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

24×172 Posts

Congratulations Sergei. Looking forward to seeing the figures of the challenge. I'm aware people are bunkering....
Old 2017-02-28, 05:53   #20
Sergei Chernykh

Jun 2015
Stockholm, Sweden

83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
Congratulations Sergei. Looking forward to seeing the figures of the challenge. I'm aware people are bunkering....
People are doing what?

P.S. I've noticed a huge increase in "tasks in progress" and limited it to 10 tasks per GPU yesterday. People are doing tasks but not submitting results. Is this what called bunkering?

Last fiddled with by Sergei Chernykh on 2017-02-28 at 05:57
Old 2017-02-28, 06:15   #21
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

24·172 Posts

Quote:
People are doing what?

P.S. I've noticed a huge increase in "tasks in progress" and limited it to 10 tasks per GPU yesterday. People are doing tasks but not submitting results. Is this what called bunkering?
Yes, that's the philosophy, they will submit them as soon as the challenge starts. Don't worry, welcome to the challenges strategy. More than 20 years ago Dutch Power Cow team used this strategy on several projects like Dnet, D2OL, etc

Last fiddled with by pinhodecarlos on 2017-02-28 at 06:20
Old 2017-02-28, 06:19   #22
Sergei Chernykh

Jun 2015
Stockholm, Sweden

83 Posts

Well, that's cheating in my opinion. I'll set expire time for all that tasks to now, so someone else, more honest, will receive credits for them.