Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > Aliquot Sequences

Old 2017-01-14, 10:39   #507
ChristianB

Apr 2013
Germany

22×7×11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Geek View Post
Nope, technically it means that the copyright belongs entirely to the creator. But usually if they don't specify, and make the source available, they intend something more like public domain. They are just lazy about saying so.
Exactly. A license would make the intend of the author clear. Right now it's a little muddy what the intend is. Its possible that mklasson just distributed the code so others can compile their own binaries but are not allowed to make changes to the code and redistribute it. The redistribution part is the problematic one. I don't fear a law suit but I would be very uncomfortable to continue without a license or at least a clarification of intend by the original author. I guess I have to drop mklasson an email.

Edit: I found an old email from mklasson where he says:
Quote:
Or just distribute a new version yourself if you want to. In that case I'd still appreciate it if you sent me an email when you release something so I can have a chance to update my version with your changes anyway.

To answer your explicit question: I don't have a specific license in mind, but hopefully what I've written here clarifies things for you? I'd basically like to be identified as the author of the original work, as I'd like you to be identified as the author of your changes. So just respect that and I'm sure everything will be fine.

Last fiddled with by ChristianB on 2017-01-14 at 10:48
ChristianB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-14, 16:30   #508
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

7·467 Posts

There is at least a small release from the creator in the document:
Code:
You may use the source and program however you see fit. I accept no  
responsibility for anything untoward that may happen to you, though I have no  
reason to suspect any such thing should happen. In the land of the free they  
are happy to try and sue you for anything though. You may not use this program  
unless you accept this agreement and take responsibility for your own actions.  
Otherwise, no soup for you! 

Cheers, 
Mikael
EdH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-09, 01:32   #509
richs

"Rich"
Aug 2002
Benicia, California

22·32·31 Posts

I am having a problem sending Aliqueit results to FDB since the connection is refused:

Code:
Sending 110 lines...
--2017-02-08 17:26:24--  http://factorization.ath.cx/search.php?report=true
Resolving factorization.ath.cx... 176.9.39.214
Connecting to factorization.ath.cx|176.9.39.214|:80... failed: Connection refused.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
richs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-09, 02:19   #510
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

3·29·83 Posts

That old domain name hasn't worked in months (years?) now. Recompile aliqueit after doing a find-and-replace for "factorization.ath.cx" to "factordb.com"
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-09, 03:14   #511
richs

"Rich"
Aug 2002
Benicia, California

45C16 Posts

Thanks, Dubslow!
Old 2017-11-19, 16:13   #512
richs

"Rich"
Aug 2002
Benicia, California

22×32×31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post
That old domain name hasn't worked in months (years?) now. Recompile aliqueit after doing a find-and-replace for "factorization.ath.cx" to "factordb.com"
Does anyone have an Aliqueit Windows executable that has the correct URL for factor database as Dubslow noted? Thanks!
Old 2017-11-19, 23:00   #513
richs

"Rich"
Aug 2002
Benicia, California

22×32×31 Posts

I'm trying to compile Aliqueit using Windows (for info, the last time I compiled a program, it was the 1970's and the source code was in Fortran). I downloaded and extracted GMP into the directory where I am trying to compile. I receive the following error message:

Code:
C:\Users\Rich\Downloads\Aliqueit\Update>cl /EHsc aliqueit.cpp
Microsoft (R) C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 19.00.24210 for x64
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

aliqueit.cpp
c:\users\rich\downloads\aliqueit\update\aliqueit.h(11): fatal error C1083: Cannot
open include file: 'gmpxx.h': No such file or directory
The file gmpxx.h is one of many files extracted from the GMP download and is definitely located in the directory, so I do not know why the file is not found. The compiler finds other files in that directory.

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance!
Old 2017-11-22, 04:47   #514
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

21BB16 Posts

Well, you may have your reasons why you want it recompiled.

For me, I see no reason compiling aliqueit beside of solving the hard encoded (wrong) factordb address (i.e. the original one, ending in factorization.ath.cx which is now long time obsolete). If that is your problem, I remember that I solved it much more easier. I renamed wget.exe to wget1.exe and I created a batch file called wget.bat that prints all the parameters of the command line when called. This way I have seen that the (wrong) factordb address is parameter 7, so I substituted the content of the wget.bat used to print the command line, with the single line:

Code:
wget1 %1=%2 %3=%4 %5=%6 http://factordb.com/search.php?report=%8
Both the wget.bat and wget1.exe must be in the aliqueit.exe folder to avoid interference with the real wget which I may have or not somewhere in the system. When aliqueit calls the wget with the wrong address (and other parameters), the bat is called, which in turn calls the original wget (now renamed to wget1) with the correct FDB address and keeping all the other parameters. This way, you can properly and automatically report the factors.

In all other respects, the official aliqueit works fine and doesn't need recompilation.
I was sometimes in the past thinking to rewrite it myself to move the address to the .ini file, like it should be normal, and like other parameters/switches which are given to the program, but I was too bulazy (that is a new entry for Ross' devil dict, when you want to say that you were busy, but in reality, you were lazy ).

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2017-11-22 at 04:48
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-01, 22:21   #515
richs

"Rich"
Aug 2002
Benicia, California

22×32×31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Well, you may have your reasons why you want it recompiled.

For me, I see no reason compiling aliqueit beside of solving the hard encoded (wrong) factordb address (i.e. the original one, ending in factorization.ath.cx which is now long time obsolete). If that is your problem, I remember that I solved it much more easier. I renamed wget.exe to wget1.exe and I created a batch file called wget.bat that prints all the parameters of the command line when called. This way I have seen that the (wrong) factordb address is parameter 7, so I substituted the content of the wget.bat used to print the command line, with the single line:

Code:
wget1 %1=%2 %3=%4 %5=%6 http://factordb.com/search.php?report=%8
Both the wget.bat and wget1.exe must be in the aliqueit.exe folder to avoid interference with the real wget which I may have or not somewhere in the system. When aliqueit calls the wget with the wrong address (and other parameters), the bat is called, which in turn calls the original wget (now renamed to wget1) with the correct FDB address and keeping all the other parameters. This way, you can properly and automatically report the factors.

In all other respects, the official aliqueit works fine and doesn't need recompilation.
I was sometimes in the past thinking to rewrite it myself to move the address to the .ini file, like it should be normal, and like other parameters/switches which are given to the program, but I was too bulazy (that is a new entry for Ross' devil dict, when you want to say that you were busy, but in reality, you were lazy ).
LaurV, your suggestion worked great, thank you. I was not able to get aliqueit to compile anyway due to issues with including GMP, but your method obviated my need to recompile.
Old 2018-01-15, 17:13   #516
ChristianB

Apr 2013
Germany

4648 Posts

I modified aliqueit to suite my needs better and put the code on github some time ago. As I started to tackle aliquot sequences again I stumbled about some other missing features. I'm also looking into building on Windows so others can run my modified version too. So far no luck with getting GMP compiled the right way.

So far I modified aliqueit to:
  • Added a stop_failed_gnfs option so I can interrupt it more easily (the default is to run auto-increasing ecm which is even harder to kill)
  • Output unfinished factorization of the current index (in case the ecm stage found a factor but the remaining factor was done by gnfs which was interrupted)
  • adjusted the log parsing routines for newer versions of used scripts (namely factmsieve.py)

Other things I want to to:
  • Exit status of the -t mode should indicate if the elf file is correct and the sequence terminates or merges (sometimes elf files from factordb.com are wrong)
  • Add the notion of a signalfile to tell aliqueit to stop the current sequence (when I need to restart my PC I don't want to throw away a gnfs job that is already 90% done)
  • silence the output during first stage of gnfs (In the past I had problems with my terminal buffer)
  • option to cleanup gnfs directories after successful factorization
  • intermediate upload to factordb to check if there was a merge (I just recently stopped a sequence that plunged to a C7 and indeed it merged with another sequence with a C161 and I didn't have to fight my way back up.)

What do others think of my lists? Is it worth doing or are there other features missing?

Last fiddled with by ChristianB on 2018-01-15 at 17:14
ChristianB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-25, 16:24   #517
Stargate38

"Daniel Jackson"
May 2011

59910 Posts
Angry

[delete]

Last fiddled with by Stargate38 on 2018-01-25 at 16:41 Reason: never mind...
Stargate38 is offline   Reply With Quote