mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > Aliquot Sequences

Old 2016-09-20, 14:30   #496
ChristianB

Apr 2013
Germany

22·7·11 Posts

I also had to update aliqueit a year ago to get it running. I send my modifications to the original author but nothing happened. I haven't used aliqueit in a while. Here is what was working for me a year ago: https://github.com/ChristianBeer/aliqueit see the Pull Requests for my changes and the "update" branch for a working version.
ChristianB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-20, 15:43   #497
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

CC516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianB View Post
I also had to update aliqueit a year ago to get it running. I send my modifications to the original author but nothing happened. I haven't used aliqueit in a while. Here is what was working for me a year ago: https://github.com/ChristianBeer/aliqueit see the Pull Requests for my changes and the "update" branch for a working version.
Thanks! I have a working version based on my editing, but I will look at yours to compare.
EdH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-20, 18:42   #498
yoyo

Oct 2006
Berlin, Germany

23916 Posts

I have a Perl script for it:
https://www.rechenkraft.net/wiki/Ben...actordb#ali.pl
In line 15 and 16 you can specify your factordb login details.

yoyo
yoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-21, 01:32   #499
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

7×467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
I have a Perl script for it:
https://www.rechenkraft.net/wiki/Ben...actordb#ali.pl
In line 15 and 16 you can specify your factordb login details.

yoyo
Now, that is definitely of interest to me. After I get done with my current project I will be giving it a spin...

Thanks...
Old 2016-09-21, 17:21   #500
yoyo

Oct 2006
Berlin, Germany

56910 Posts

I just started it.

Quote:
nohup ./ali.pl 769560 107 4 &
yoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-28, 15:58   #501
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

7·467 Posts

I've run ali.pl on a couple sequences and it has run fine. I'm seeing more feedback from YAFU, which I like. However, I haven't found an easy way to determine just how much I have advanced the sequence, unless I go look at factordb before and after.

The next item I'd be interested in seeing, probably isn't doable. I'd like to see a way to allow other machines to help with the ECM and relation gathering. Is there a way to expand the threads to external machines?

I have a bunch of scripts that interact in that way when running Aliqueit. In the past I have had aliqueit.ini adjusted to call the scripts and they would portion out the ECM and gnfs jobs across other available systems. With YAFU, I have found no way to let it know I have found relations via other systems, without stopping/restarting it. With factmsieve.py, spairs.add is incorporated, if present. I use that method while adjusting the ranges of each new gnfs run via the temp job files' q0 and quitsize values. ECM is spread out by capturing what aliqueit asks for and calling ecm.py with smaller segments on the available machines.

After having written all the above, I must confess to having been using this up to a couple years ago, when my interests turned almost fully to 4-cycle sequences. I'm currently exploring new ways of proceeding. It would take me a little bit to get the described system back up and a big drawback was that the main system was running hard, but the other ones were often idle waiting for the next ECM or gnfs assignment. Another drawback is, IIRC, that the bash scripts were all thrown together and none had any documentation. It will be fun if I decide to restart it.
Old 2016-09-28, 16:23   #502
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

7×467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianB View Post
Hi Christian,

I finally took a look, but the same issues seem to be present: B2scale and factorization.ath.cx.

I think I got the right file set. It came down as aliqueit-update.zip, but maybe I was in the wrong place.

Maybe I'll look closer later. Thanks for the site mention!

Take Care,
Ed
Old 2016-09-28, 17:06   #503
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

7×467 Posts

I guess I misspoke in my previous ali.pl post. I'm not seeing the extra YAFU feedback after all. That is something I would like to see, though...
Old 2017-01-09, 20:37   #504
ChristianB

Apr 2013
Germany

22×7×11 Posts

Hi,

I just started using aliqueit again and remembered this discussion. I again took a better look and it seems that the save_partial_line branch contains the latest changes made by me. The idea of the Pull Requests was to give mklasson a better idea what changes I did.

I'm a bit unsure what to do. I would like to merge my changes into a new 1.13 version and build binaries from that. But the original source code does not have a license which even makes the github repository problematic by itself.

There are other tools like yoyo's ali.pl which are somewhat easier to maintain but if there is still a need for aliqueit for some reason I would look into possibilities on how to maintain it on github.
ChristianB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-13, 21:55   #505
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT)

26×89 Posts

Does no license not mean public domain?
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-14, 00:18   #506
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

10000101010112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
Does no license not mean public domain?
Nope, technically it means that the copyright belongs entirely to the creator. But usually if they don't specify, and make the source available, they intend something more like public domain. They are just lazy about saying so.
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote