mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2022-12-02, 12:18   #771
pepi37
 
pepi37's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
After milion nines:)

3×541 Posts
Default

I have problem I cannot solve ( not big ones, but still)
An all my Linux boxes SMT is off in the BIOS, but regardless that fact all Linux boxes has 2 x mprime threds then cores.
For example in picture below it is Ryzen 5 3600 , with SMT off. It has 6 threads of mprime running at 100% and 6 instances running on 0%. How to fix it?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/47mrdhzm6m...rime.jpg?RAW=1
pepi37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-02, 12:26   #772
paulunderwood
 
paulunderwood's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
Database er0rr

106178 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi37 View Post
I have problem I cannot solve ( not big ones, but still)
An all my Linux boxes SMT is off in the BIOS, but regardless that fact all Linux boxes has 2 x mprime threds then cores.
For example in picture below it is Ryzen 5 3600 , with SMT off. It has 6 threads of mprime running at 100% and 6 instances running on 0%. How to fix it?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/47mrdhzm6m...rime.jpg?RAW=1
The Ryzen 3600 is a 6 core machine. Prime95/mprime is so well written in assembler that SMT/HT (hyperthreading) is practically useless. Run only 6 instances.

Why are you not running SMT?

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2022-12-02 at 12:46
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-02, 12:28   #773
James Heinrich
 
James Heinrich's Avatar
 
"James Heinrich"
May 2004
ex-Northern Ontario

2·23·89 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi37 View Post
How to fix it?
mprime -m > 2. Test/Workers > Number of workers to run = 6 > CPU cores to use (multithreading) = 1

Or in local.txt (edit while mprime isn't running)
WorkerThreads=6
CoresPerTest=1

(or, if you prefer, some other combination that multiplies to 6)
James Heinrich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-02, 12:32   #774
kruoli
 
kruoli's Avatar
 
"Oliver"
Sep 2017
Porta Westfalica, DE

1,327 Posts
Default

Please make sure Stage2ExtraThreads=0 is in prime.txt.
kruoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-02, 21:18   #775
pepi37
 
pepi37's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
After milion nines:)

3·541 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
The Ryzen 3600 is a 6 core machine. Prime95/mprime is so well written in assembler that SMT/HT (hyperthreading) is practically useless. Run only 6 instances.

Why are you not running SMT?
First you say SMT is useless then you ask why I dont run SMT?
pepi37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-02, 21:19   #776
pepi37
 
pepi37's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
After milion nines:)

3×541 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Heinrich View Post
mprime -m > 2. Test/Workers > Number of workers to run = 6 > CPU cores to use (multithreading) = 1

Or in local.txt (edit while mprime isn't running)
WorkerThreads=6
CoresPerTest=1

(or, if you prefer, some other combination that multiplies to 6)
Thanks, I sense that is answer ๐Ÿฅณ
pepi37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-02, 21:21   #777
paulunderwood
 
paulunderwood's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
Database er0rr

5×29×31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi37 View Post
First you say SMT is useless then you ask why I dont run SMT?
The answer might have been "to reduce electricity costs". HT/SMT uses more juice.

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2022-12-02 at 21:23
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-02, 21:23   #778
pepi37
 
pepi37's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
After milion nines:)

65716 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
The answer might have been "to save electricity", HT/SMT uses more juice.
Answer is it is useless, and I know CPU is cooler with SMT off, so that is reason why I wrote that fact in my first post
pepi37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-02, 21:26   #779
paulunderwood
 
paulunderwood's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
Database er0rr

449510 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi37 View Post
Answer is it is useless, and I know CPU is cooler with SMT off, so that is reason why I wrote that fact in my first post
Oh, okay. I did not read all, if any, of your original post. TL;DR thread. All the best!

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2022-12-02 at 21:28
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-02, 22:44   #780
pepi37
 
pepi37's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
After milion nines:)

3×541 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Heinrich View Post
mprime -m > 2. Test/Workers > Number of workers to run = 6 > CPU cores to use (multithreading) = 1

Or in local.txt (edit while mprime isn't running)
WorkerThreads=6
CoresPerTest=1

(or, if you prefer, some other combination that multiplies to 6)

This wasnot help, since

WorkerThreads=6
CoresPerTest=1
was already in local.txt, and running mprime menu didnot solve problem
pepi37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-12-02, 22:46   #781
pepi37
 
pepi37's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
After milion nines:)

65716 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruoli View Post
Please make sure Stage2ExtraThreads=0 is in prime.txt.

That is I assume ( not sure) for P-1, not for PRP


It looks like it is way that HTOP show different ( more process) then TOP.

So it looks like all is ok, and SMT is off ...like BIOS say :)

Last fiddled with by pepi37 on 2022-12-02 at 22:57
pepi37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do not post your results here! kar_bon Prime Wiki 40 2022-04-03 19:05
what should I post ? science_man_88 science_man_88 24 2018-10-19 23:00
Where to post job ad? xilman Linux 2 2010-12-15 16:39
Moderated Post kar_bon Forum Feedback 3 2010-09-28 08:01
Something that I just had to post/buy dave_0273 Lounge 1 2005-02-27 18:36

All times are UTC. The time now is 02:22.


Sat Feb 4 02:22:51 UTC 2023 up 169 days, 23:51, 1 user, load averages: 1.16, 1.04, 1.01

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.

โ‰  ยฑ โˆ“ รท ร— ยท โˆ’ โˆš โ€ฐ โŠ— โŠ• โŠ– โŠ˜ โŠ™ โ‰ค โ‰ฅ โ‰ฆ โ‰ง โ‰จ โ‰ฉ โ‰บ โ‰ป โ‰ผ โ‰ฝ โŠ โŠ โŠ‘ โŠ’ ยฒ ยณ ยฐ
โˆ  โˆŸ ยฐ โ‰… ~ โ€– โŸ‚ โซ›
โ‰ก โ‰œ โ‰ˆ โˆ โˆž โ‰ช โ‰ซ โŒŠโŒ‹ โŒˆโŒ‰ โˆ˜ โˆ โˆ โˆ‘ โˆง โˆจ โˆฉ โˆช โจ€ โŠ• โŠ— ๐–• ๐–– ๐–— โŠฒ โŠณ
โˆ… โˆ– โˆ โ†ฆ โ†ฃ โˆฉ โˆช โŠ† โŠ‚ โŠ„ โŠŠ โŠ‡ โŠƒ โŠ… โŠ‹ โŠ– โˆˆ โˆ‰ โˆ‹ โˆŒ โ„• โ„ค โ„š โ„ โ„‚ โ„ต โ„ถ โ„ท โ„ธ ๐“Ÿ
ยฌ โˆจ โˆง โŠ• โ†’ โ† โ‡’ โ‡ โ‡” โˆ€ โˆƒ โˆ„ โˆด โˆต โŠค โŠฅ โŠข โŠจ โซค โŠฃ โ€ฆ โ‹ฏ โ‹ฎ โ‹ฐ โ‹ฑ
โˆซ โˆฌ โˆญ โˆฎ โˆฏ โˆฐ โˆ‡ โˆ† ฮด โˆ‚ โ„ฑ โ„’ โ„“
๐›ข๐›ผ ๐›ฃ๐›ฝ ๐›ค๐›พ ๐›ฅ๐›ฟ ๐›ฆ๐œ€๐œ– ๐›ง๐œ ๐›จ๐œ‚ ๐›ฉ๐œƒ๐œ— ๐›ช๐œ„ ๐›ซ๐œ… ๐›ฌ๐œ† ๐›ญ๐œ‡ ๐›ฎ๐œˆ ๐›ฏ๐œ‰ ๐›ฐ๐œŠ ๐›ฑ๐œ‹ ๐›ฒ๐œŒ ๐›ด๐œŽ๐œ ๐›ต๐œ ๐›ถ๐œ ๐›ท๐œ™๐œ‘ ๐›ธ๐œ’ ๐›น๐œ“ ๐›บ๐œ”