Old 2022-02-23, 13:07   #23
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

17D516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M344587487 View Post
<snip>
poking the bear to start a war is clearly the only sensible option.
<snip>
Oh, please.

This is all Putin's doing. The only "poking" is from the voices in his head saying "This is part of Greater Russia!"

As far as I'm concerned, the present crisis is merely the continuation of the war he started in 2014.
Quote:
They even got the orange man to endorse Putin

"They" who?
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-23, 20:30   #24
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

6,101 Posts

Russia state TV paints Moscow as savior of eastern Ukraine
Quote:
The only popular show of support for the moves on eastern Ukraine took place in St. Petersburg on Wednesday - the day Russia celebrates Defender of the Fatherland Day, a holiday that commemorates the country's veterans.

Russian media reported several hundred pro-Kremlin activists gathered in the city center with Russian flags and banners saying: "We don't abandon our own." According to reports, some of the demonstrators didn't know what the rally was about and said they were promised a hot meal after it.
Old 2022-02-23, 20:44   #25
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

23·32·151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
As far as I'm concerned, the present crisis is merely the continuation of the war he started in 2014.
You /might/ be correct. But that motive doesn't seem to be the only possibility wrt this particular "puzzle".

Googling for "crude oil prices graph" and then looking at the various graphs over longer temporal periods than a day, on the other hand. The empirical market data seems to make one possible motivation for the current exercises and rhetoric (by many (MANY!) parties) quite obvious...

Perhaps I'm simply overly cynical... On the other hand, perhaps not.
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-23, 21:30   #26
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

6,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
<snip>
Googling for "crude oil prices graph" and then looking at the various graphs over longer temporal periods than a day, on the other hand. The empirical market data seems to make one possible motivation for the current exercises and rhetoric (by many (MANY!) parties) quite obvious...
<snip>
This is Putin's baby. He's been massing troops around Ukraine for many weeks now.

I suppose it's possible that part of his calculation is driving up the price of oil and gas. Russia is a large oil producer. And they supply a lot of gas to Europe. Of course, Putin could start tightening the taps and shutting the valves.

There's not all that much the US can do about oil prices - though the R's have been blaming Biden for the rise in gas prices anyway, since well before the present Ukraine crisis arose.

But the R's are pretty much on board with sanctioning Russia for its aggression. They'll probably even say Biden hasn't done enough in that area. Well, most of them, anyway.

It might be interesting to see what OPEC decides to do. They could do nothing. They could open up the taps a little. Or they could open them up a LOT.
Old 2022-02-23, 23:17   #27
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

23×32×151 Posts

Quote:
This is Putin's baby.
IMHO, no. This is more likely Putin's handlers' play. And many others, with very careful (but discrete) negotiations to ensure everyone stays afraid enough to consume on credit...

At least Putin appears to still be lucid. Unlike some other recent (and even current) World Leaders...
Old 2022-02-23, 23:58   #28
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

6,101 Posts

Quote:
IMHO, no. This is more likely Putin's handlers' play.
<snip>
Putin's handlers?
Old 2022-02-24, 00:25   #29
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
Not U. + S.A.

22×3×199 Posts

Quote:
Putin's handlers?
I read a while back that Putin has Asperger's Syndrome and that he would not be able to stay in office much longer. Perhaps all this mess is his last roll-of-the-dice as a wannabe bad man.
storm5510 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-24, 00:26   #30
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

23·32·151 Posts

Quote:
Putin's handlers?
Like many good stories...

It is often seen that there are many writers (and editors, and skilled actors, etc, etc, etc et al) collaborating to ensure the narrative remains engaging to as wide an audience as possible, for as long as possible...

Heck... Some still think Jesus was white!!!
Old 2022-02-24, 00:56   #31
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

137258 Posts

Quote:
Like many good stories...

It is often seen that there are many writers (and editors, and skilled actors, etc, etc, etc et al) collaborating to ensure the narrative remains engaging to as wide an audience as possible, for as long as possible...

Heck... Some still think Jesus was white!!!
You're talking about propagandists and toadies. They would be doing his bidding and/or trying to gain his favor.

"Putin's handlers" would mean, people who are surreptitiously making the decisions, and that he's doing their bidding. I haven't seen any indication of that.

His general approach seems to be consistent with decades past. Remember, besides Ukaine, he previously invaded Georgia and Chechnya, and has engaged in a military adventure in Syria.

But he does seem to me to have become more insistent and rushed in his pronouncements and decisions of late. Perhaps he thinks the situation is especially favorable, and wants to press the advantage as much as possible. Or perhaps he has become frustrated that his efforts over the past 8 years to topple Ukraine's government have failed. Perhaps he has grown impatient. Or maybe he is worried that he is running out of time, and if he does not finish the business soon, it might be left to somebody else, or left undone.
Old 2022-02-24, 01:13   #32
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

1087210 Posts

Quote:
"Putin's handlers" would mean, people who are surreptitiously making the decisions, and that he's doing their bidding. I haven't seen any indication of that.
Yes. That was the intended reading of my language. And while you might not have seen any indication of that, I /might/ have.

Maybe... I don't know *anything* for /sure/... That's how I know I'm not (yet) insane... 9-)
Old 2022-02-24, 06:44   #33
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

270516 Posts

Just in case for who is offline or oblivious - Russia did start a 'full scale invasion' in Ukraine.

Insanity, pure insanity.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote