Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-19, 01:10   #1465
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

32×7×79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
I love it! "You want to claim a religious objection on these grounds? All righty, then!" This is also described on webmd:
Quote:
Sep. 18, 2021 - A hospital system in Arkansas is requiring employees to confirm that they won't use common medications — such as Tylenol, Tums, and Preparation H — to receive a religious exemption for the COVID-19 vaccine, according to Becker's Hospital Review.

The Conway Regional Health System has required the flu shot annually as part of employment, but managers saw a spike in vaccine exemption requests for the COVID-19 vaccine.

"This was significantly disproportionate to what we've seen with the influenza vaccine," Matt Troup, president and CEO of the health system, told Becker's.

The majority of requests cited the use of fetal cell lines in the development of vaccines as part of the religious exemption. The practice uses cells grown in labs to test many new vaccines and drugs, including common antacids and cold medications.

"Thus, we provided a religious attestation form for those individuals requesting a religious exemption," Troup said.

The hospital's form includes a list of 30 common medications that used fetal cell lines during research and development. The list includes acetaminophen, albuterol, aspirin, ibuprofen, Tylenol, Pepto Bismol, Tums, Lipitor, Senokot, Motrin, Maalox, Ex-Lax, Benadryl, Sudafed, Preparation H, Claritin, Prilosec, and Zoloft.

Employees are asked to attest that they "truthfully acknowledge and affirm that my sincerely held religious belief is consistent and true" and that they won't use the medications listed.
As mentioned in a quote from an earlier post, the Vatican doctrine office (Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith) said it was "morally acceptable" to receive COVID-19 vaccines that used aborted fetal cell lines in their research and production process "when ethically irreproachable Covid-19 vaccines are not available." So the Catholic Church is not endorsing this "religious exemption."
Dr Sardonicus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-19, 02:11   #1466
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

23×5×157 Posts

That is easily solved.

I'll just start a new religion: The church of the rejection of Covid-19 vaccines.

There, done. No need to invoke backdoor excuses about fetuses and whatnot. Plainly state what it is. No room for ambiguity.

Hi boss. I'll be skipping the Covid-19 vaccines because of my religion. I'll sign any required document stating that I do sincerely reject the Covid-19 vaccine.
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-21, 19:16   #1467
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

137116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
Already FDA approved for human use as an antiparasitic, and supposedly there's already considerable stock of it around too.
Considerable stock, eh? Judging by what's happened with Plaquenil, that will change. People already prescribed Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) for lupus or rheumatoid arthritis are finding it difficult to impossible to get refills.
<snip>
And gee, what a surprise! From the Washington Post: Horse owners can't find ivermectin as Americans flock to unproven coronavirus cure
Quote:
Equine ivermectin comes in small tubes and syringes and helps eliminate "many types of worms," often for less than $10. And lately it's been hard to find.
Amid the recent clamor for the deworming agent — commonly used on horses, livestock and sometimes dogs and cats — as an unproven covid-19 treatment for humans, people who need to treat their horses with the substance have been faced with empty shelves and the fear that they could be mistaken for the people who are using the drug on themselves.

A syringe of ivermectin paste sold online by QC Supply, a Nebraska-based livestock supply distributor, works on pinworms, hairworms, largemouth stomach worms and more. Each syringe can treat a horse weighing up to 1,250 pounds. But the dewormer is out of stock.
<snip>
"There was an immediate frustration expressed by retailers who felt it was necessary to re-shelve ivermectin labeled products behind counters or locked in cases," said Cliff Williamson, director of health and regulatory affairs at the American Horse Council. "Shoppers now go through extra steps to obtain equine medication."

In Las Vegas, V&V Tack and Feed enacted a new requirement for customers trying to buy ivermectin, according to local media reports. The store posted a sign that the drug would be sold only to horse owners. "MUST SHOW A PIC OF YOU AND YOUR HORSE," the sign read.
<snip>
A supply store in Plant City, Fla., took its ivermectin off shelves, hiding it "until legitimate customers come in," the owner of G5 Feed and Outdoor told Fox 13.

Williamson said that there were concerns from consumers that "supply will be impacted as the seasons change and most operations need access to a large quantity of dewormer products."

Many horse owners use ivermectin "after the first hard freeze to help with bot fly eggs," said horse owner Cindy Greely. She said that in northern Wisconsin, the price of ivermectin "has more than doubled, and it can be hard to find."

She said she has seen stores limiting the amount of ivermectin customers can purchase, or being completely out.
<snip>
Plenty of other stories to the same effect are easy to find online.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2021-09-21 at 19:37 Reason: Formatting; xingif topsy
Old 2021-09-22, 02:42   #1468
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

32×7×79 Posts

(Sung to the tune of "My Darling Clementine")

Here's a fable of a stable
And a stallion young and strong,
Who did badly, because sadly,
I could not cure what was wrong.

CHORUS:
Ivermectin, ivermectin, is the drug I couldn't buy.
Now I have to call the knacker,
'Cause my horse is gonna die.

He got pinworms, he got roundworms,
He got horse bot flies.
It was plain that it was curtains,
Just by looking in his eyes.

[CHORUS]

First he whinnied, then he whimpered,
Then he wasted all away.
Then he wobbled, now he's toppled.
He won't last another day.

[CHORUS]

I can forgive you who bought it
You were put under a spell.
Opportunists, you who cast it,
All of you can go to hell!

[CHORUS]

[REPRISE] Now I have to call the knacker
'Cause my horse is gonna die.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2021-09-22 at 12:50 Reason: Minor edit of second and third verse; Add fourth verse
Old 2021-09-22, 11:18   #1469
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

22×5×172 Posts

The Lancet report of an Ivermectin study re CV19. "Non-statistically significant" lower viral load. Recommends further study. Very probably not by self-prescription in uncontrolled experiments. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/e...464-8/fulltext
A niece came back from rural Morocco Peace Corps assignment some years back, with scabies, and probably benefited from Ivermectin dealing with that.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2021-09-22 at 11:20
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-22, 12:34   #1470
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

270D16 Posts

Quote:
A niece came back from rural Morocco Peace Corps assignment some years back, with scabies, and probably benefited from Ivermectin dealing with that.
Because it is an antiparasitic, not antiviral.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-22, 14:53   #1471
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

22·5·172 Posts

It's not necessarily an either/or. It would be sort of like chemotherapy; doses high enough for antiviral action are toxic.
Quote:
In vitro, ivermectin has antiviral effects against several distinct positive-sense single-strand RNA viruses, including SARS-CoV-2.[87] Subsequent studies found that ivermectin could inhibit replication of SARS-CoV-2 in monkey kidney cell culture with an IC50 of 2.2–2.8 μM.[88][89] Based on this information, however, doses much higher than the maximum approved or safely achievable for use in humans would be required for an antiviral effect.[90][91] Aside from practical difficulties, such high doses are not covered by current human-use approvals of the drug and would be toxic, as the antiviral mechanism of action is considered to operate by the suppression of a host cellular process,[90] specifically the inhibition of nuclear transport by importin α/β1.[92][93] Self-medication with a highly concentrated formula intended for horses has led to numerous hospitalizations, and overdose can lead to death, possibly due to interaction with other medications.[94] To resolve uncertainties from previous small or poor-quality studies, as of June 2021, large scale trials are underway in the United States and the United Kingdom.[95][96]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivermectin#Research
Old 2021-09-22, 15:55   #1472
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

32·7·79 Posts

Quote:
It's not necessarily an either/or. It would be sort of like chemotherapy; doses high enough for antiviral action are toxic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivermectin#Research
IOW, ivermectin is an effective preventive against COVID if you take enough to kill you.
Old 2021-09-22, 16:22   #1473
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

22·5·172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
IOW, ivermectin is an effective preventive against COVID if you take enough to kill you.
I think such a foolishly self administered overdose would also be counted as a COVID death.

This is a good read: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7172803/
It's yet to be determined whether Ivermectin is ruled out as a therapeutic under proper dosage & supervision.
Looking forward to the future science on that and whatever else is in play.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2021-09-22 at 16:22
Old 2021-09-22, 17:01   #1474
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

115618 Posts

Quote:
I think such a foolishly self administered overdose would also be counted as a COVID death.
<snip>
If someone takes ivermectin to prevent COVID, presumably they don't have COVID. You can't die of an illness you don't have. Cause of death would be ivermectin poisoning, manner of death accidental.

If someone with COVID takes and dies from a fatal dose of ivermectin, again it would probably be death by accidental poisoning.

Perhaps people are having trouble finding unscrupulous doctors to prescribe ivermectin for COVID, or are merely avoiding the cost by going for veterinary preparations. But taking a syringe of goo meant to dose a 1200 pound horse will result in an overdose, because size does matter.