mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2018-12-22, 16:59   #1
kladner
 
kladner's Avatar
 
"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

1015810 Posts
Default Prime95 version 29.5b5

More than once, P95v29.5b5 has paused for needed benchmarks, and failed to complete. I can't say exactly where it stopped, but after at least ten trials, it hangs without completing the line. I was uncertain at first because I forced it to quit previously. Last night, I left it alone (0% CPU), and it was still stuck 7 hours later. It resisted quitting, requiring Task Manager to kick it out.

I don't remember a report of this behavior, though I could have missed it.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-22, 17:31   #2
Prime95
P90 years forever!
 
Prime95's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

24·32·53 Posts
Default

Does it occur at the same FFT size & implementation each time? Can you email results.txt? Maybe a little info on the number of cores/workers?

In the mean time use AutoBench=0 (see undoc.txt)
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-22, 17:42   #3
ATH
Einyen
 
ATH's Avatar
 
Dec 2003
Denmark

C6716 Posts
Default

Can we get an AutoBench=2 feature that forces an automatic benchmark next time you start Prime95/mprime?
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-22, 17:52   #4
kladner
 
kladner's Avatar
 
"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2·3·1,693 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
Does it occur at the same FFT size & implementation each time? Can you email results.txt? Maybe a little info on the number of cores/workers?

In the mean time use AutoBench=0 (see undoc.txt)
System: -i7 6700K, 16 G RAM, 4 cores, 1 worker. CPU@4300mhz, RAM@3200mhz
[Fri Dec 21 23:34:09 2018] -auto bench
EDIT: To answer more completely, I think auto-bench was only running 2560K, 4 threads, 1 worker, for best setting. I reran the same bench successfully. This lockup happened once before, 2 or 3 months ago, but I didn't really pay attention. I would rate it as "fairly rare." I have gone looking for the previous event in results.txt. The auto-bench first appears on [Fri Nov 30 05:12:52 2018]. Subsequent A-Bs are split between 2560 and 2400.
Attached Files
File Type: txt results.txt (199.9 KB, 93 views)

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2018-12-23 at 04:30 Reason: i
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-28, 17:05   #5
kriesel
 
kriesel's Avatar
 
"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

132308 Posts
Default Worker title bar ambiguity

In prime95 v29.4b8, the worker title bar indicates progress and exponent for a primality test but does not indicate which primality test is running, LL (or LL/Jacobi) or PRP (or PRP/GC). It can be a bit of a nuisance to go click Test, Status, and then wait for it to spin through the possibilities for a stack of lengthy P-1 assignments before displaying, the second worker is running LL now, hasn't switched to PRP yet per the setting of work preference.

It would be good if prime95 V29.5 when released indicated LL or PRP in the worker title bar. Does it include that now? See the red arrow in the attached screen shot of prime95 v29.4b8.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ambiguous worker title bar ll vs prp3.png
Views:	100
Size:	319.1 KB
ID:	19521  
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-28, 17:22   #6
kriesel
 
kriesel's Avatar
 
"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

23×3×241 Posts
Default 29.5b5 manually launched benchmark stall etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
More than once, P95v29.5b5 has paused for needed benchmarks, and failed to complete. I can't say exactly where it stopped, but after at least ten trials, it hangs without completing the line. I was uncertain at first because I forced it to quit previously. Last night, I left it alone (0% CPU), and it was still stuck 7 hours later. It resisted quitting, requiring Task Manager to kick it out.

I don't remember a report of this behavior, though I could have missed it.
I tried 29.5b5 briefly on an i7-8750H (6 cores, HT available) Win 10 x64 laptop. A manually initiated benchmark for 1-3 and 6 workers stopped early and it just sat there. Attempts to launch new benchmarks manually to finish the job accomplished nothing more than irritation. There was also a crash and some Task Manager-necessary stop and restart of the application. I reverted to 29.4b8.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	benchmark stall.png
Views:	87
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	19527  
Attached Files
File Type: txt results.txt (12.4 KB, 79 views)
File Type: txt prime.txt (267 Bytes, 77 views)

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2018-12-28 at 17:39
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-05, 17:47   #7
kriesel
 
kriesel's Avatar
 
"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

23·3·241 Posts
Default feature query/request

I note that in prime95 V29.4b8, Test, Stop does not work while a Jacobi check is in progress. Apparently the Jacobi check must complete before the stop occurs. This is so, even if all the workers had been stopped, and then continue was accidentally clicked, or the user changes his mind about making a run, while workers are still starting. The Jacobi check takes minutes on some of my machines. The staggered starts of multiple workers may add more time during which the app may be unresponsive.
It would be good if Jacobi checks could be terminated early, or did not launch, when they accomplish nothing.
So, a request for the behavior of 29.5b7?
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-05, 18:08   #8
Prime95
P90 years forever!
 
Prime95's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

763210 Posts
Default

The Jacobi check is done by the GMP library. Once I've made that call it cannot be interrupted.
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-14, 19:35   #9
pepi37
 
pepi37's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
After milion nines:)

5C816 Posts
Default

I noticed this info in latest Prime95 version, but dont know how it calculate probability.

If I have more tasks in worktodo, then probability is lower. If I have smaller number of tasks then probability is higher ( as you can see)
Anyway I do PRP on CRUs bases, so this is irrelevant , but as I say I noticed :)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	19658  
pepi37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-14, 20:04   #10
Mysticial
 
Mysticial's Avatar
 
Sep 2016

23×43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
I note that in prime95 V29.4b8, Test, Stop does not work while a Jacobi check is in progress. Apparently the Jacobi check must complete before the stop occurs. This is so, even if all the workers had been stopped, and then continue was accidentally clicked, or the user changes his mind about making a run, while workers are still starting. The Jacobi check takes minutes on some of my machines. The staggered starts of multiple workers may add more time during which the app may be unresponsive.
It would be good if Jacobi checks could be terminated early, or did not launch, when they accomplish nothing.
So, a request for the behavior of 29.5b7?
Cancelling is a basic yet one of the most annoying features to implement for any non-trivial application.

Some Thoughts:

I suppose if the issue is the UI lagging, then the Jacobi check could be moved to a different thread to let it run out.

AFAIK, GMP doesn't do proper exception/signal handling. So you can't use a signal to force it to break out. And if you do, it won't do the proper cleanup - thus leading to potential memory leaks.

I *think* the only resource that GMP uses is memory allocation. It doesn't spawn threads or create open file handles or anything. If there is a way to subvert the memory allocator that GMP uses, you can replace it with your own pool. Now you can terminate the entire thread that GMP is working on without leaking resources.

Another possibility is to move the Jacobi check to a different process. Then you can kill it without consequences.
Mysticial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-14, 20:26   #11
Prime95
P90 years forever!
 
Prime95's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

24·32·53 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi37 View Post
I noticed this info in latest Prime95 version, but dont know how it calculate probability.

If I have more tasks in worktodo, then probability is lower. If I have smaller number of tasks then probability is higher ( as you can see)
Anyway I do PRP on CRUs bases, so this is irrelevant , but as I say I noticed :)
Hmmm, don't count on that number. I just modified the code to better handle non-Mersennes.
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prime95 version 28.6 / 28.7 (28.7 now available!) Prime95 Software 166 2016-03-28 22:05
Prime95 version 26.5 Prime95 Software 175 2011-04-04 22:35
Prime95 version 25.6 Prime95 PrimeNet 382 2008-10-07 22:56
Prime95 version 25.5 Prime95 PrimeNet 369 2008-02-26 05:21
Prime95 version 25.4 Prime95 PrimeNet 143 2007-09-24 21:01

All times are UTC. The time now is 13:17.


Thu Oct 21 13:17:17 UTC 2021 up 90 days, 7:46, 1 user, load averages: 1.42, 1.45, 1.38

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.