Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2022-02-03, 23:18   #177
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

23·32·83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Is there any chance some misunderstood the meaning of the butterfly effect?
It's unlikely any of these yahoos even know what the "butterfly effect" is.
Quote:
Like. Seriously. It feels a bit like the new dark ages.
Here in the USA, it's more than a bit.

You should feel fortunate to live in a country which has just become a republic, a form of government long described as "A government of laws and not of men." I grew up in such a country. But the country I grew up in, it would seem, no longer exists...
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-03, 23:20   #178
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

24·5·7·19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
Because they don't want to be political prisoners for some indeterminate period?
Or... Perhaps... Because they don't actually have that much control in the calculus.
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-25, 22:44   #179
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

597610 Posts

I'm not sure this really belongs in this thread, but I was not able to find a better one.

Elon Musk to buy Twitter in $44 billion deal
Quote:
New York CNN —
Twitter said Monday it has agreed to sell itself to Elon Musk in a roughly $44 billion deal that has the potential to expand the billionaire’s business empire and put the world’s richest man in charge of one of the world’s most influential social networks.

The deal, which will take the company private, caps off a whirlwind period in which the Tesla and SpaceX CEO became one of Twitter’s largest shareholders, was offered and turned down a seat on its board and bid to buy the company — all in less than a month.

Under the terms of the deal, shareholders will receive $54.20 in cash for each share of Twitter stock they own, matching Musk’s original offer and marking a 38% premium over the stock price the day before Musk revealed his stake in the company.
Old 2022-04-26, 06:54   #180
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

22·17·97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
I don't use Twitter so perhaps I am uninformed about it's function, but what can Musk do that would make it any different? Add more ads to annoy the users?
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-26, 09:03   #181
ldesnogu

Jan 2008
France

569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
I don't use Twitter so perhaps I am uninformed about it's function, but what can Musk do that would make it any different? Add more ads to annoy the users?
Let people as Trump spread lies because he thinks freedom of speech is paramount.
ldesnogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-26, 09:13   #182
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

147048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldesnogu View Post
Let people as Trump spread lies because he thinks freedom of speech is paramount.
And then ... ?

Just stop reading Trump if you don't want to see it. Starve the beast of the attention it craves so much.

There is no obligation to read everything on Twitter.
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-26, 09:30   #183
ldesnogu

Jan 2008
France

569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
And then ... ?

Just stop reading Trump if you don't want to see it. Starve the beast of the attention it craves so much.

There is no obligation to read everything on Twitter.
Stop living in your cave, the concern is not educated people like you and me.
Old 2022-04-26, 14:08   #184
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

597610 Posts

EU warns Elon Musk over Twitter moderation plans
Quote:
Brussels has warned Elon Musk that Twitter must comply with the EU's new digital rules under his ownership, or risk hefty fines or even a ban, setting the stage for a global regulatory battle over the future of the social media platform.

Thierry Breton, the EU's commissioner for the internal market, told the Financial Times that Elon Musk must follow rules on moderating illegal and harmful content online after Twitter accepted the billionaire's $44bn takeover offer.

Breton said: "We welcome everyone. We are open but on our conditions. At least we know what to tell him: 'Elon, there are rules. You are welcome but these are our rules. It's not your rules which will apply here.'"
<snip>
Old 2022-04-26, 17:16   #185
ldesnogu

Jan 2008
France

569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post

That is good news. IMHO freedom of speech has limits as any form of freedom should. Yeah I know, the issue is where you put the limits and who decides what these limits are, but still freedom with no limit is not acceptable. For instance in France, denying the Shoah or antisemitism and racism in general can bring you to a court of justice, and that is a good thing.
Old 2022-04-26, 19:39   #186
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

135308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldesnogu View Post
That is good news. IMHO freedom of speech has limits as any form of freedom should. Yeah I know, the issue is where you put the limits and who decides what these limits are, but still freedom with no limit is not acceptable. For instance in France, denying the Shoah or antisemitism and racism in general can bring you to a court of justice, and that is a good thing.
Here in the good ol' USA, denying the Holocaust, or generally antisemitic or racist speech would be considered "protected free speech" so would not be legally actionable.

There are however other forms of speech which are not protected by the First Amendment. "Freedom of the press" does not include the "freedom" to print libel. Inciting a riot isn't protected free speech. Nor is speech that is likely to cause a needless panic. (The classic example is yelling "Fire!" in a crowded theater which is not in fact on fire.)
Old 2022-05-03, 20:30   #187
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

101001110111112 Posts

Mod note: Abortion discussion moved to existing thread: https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=16487
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote