xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

101000100111012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfgoode
The strip clubs in Toronto and Montreal are open till late, some even all night and those are the places where you can get almost anything you wish at any time.
I acknowledge your undoubted authority in such matters.

Please enlighten us with information about the relative prices of beer in such establishments and, in particular, how they compare with those at other outlets.

Paul
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-06, 23:29   #46
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

2×3×5×241 Posts

It's amazing how many forum threads end up a discussion about beer.
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-07, 04:28   #47
only_human

"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

2×1,877 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95
It's amazing how many forum threads end up a discussion about beer.
I've mused that a lot of a lot of math and physics seems to have at least some peripheral connection to beer i.e, the bubble chamber, The Carlbsburg Foundation fellowships and support for the Niels Bohr Institute, etc.
only_human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-07, 17:36   #48
mfgoode
Bronze Medalist

Jan 2004
Mumbai,India

22·33·19 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman
I acknowledge your undoubted authority in such matters.

Please enlighten us with information about the relative prices of beer in such establishments and, in particular, how they compare with those at other outlets

Paul
Thanks Paul. No, not really, but I will be glad to do so. Please excuse the length tho’.
As I was a Chief airline Steward I had (off record) a sizable quantity and variety of free booze and cigarettes in the old days.. My influential and well heeled friends were amply compensated for taking me out and footing the bill which I seldom paid for except on my singular private dates.
In a local pub (pre-1997 when I retired) the prices were about the same as the sleazy but high brow joints in most parts of the world excluding Paris perhaps.
A lager would range from £1 to £2. They would rise slightly depending on the services offered. These would be live bands, Diamond Lils, topless bars, floor shows (with entry fee), cabaret, strip bars, Lap top dancing (nothing to do with computers!) or table dancing. The prices were reasonable as they depended more on guests ordering sumptious dinners. In any case the prices were well within range of an average mans salary on his pay day- if he got carried away!
The exceptional prices were steep in the Far East were one could be taken for quite a ride.
There were incentives however like my favourite strip club in N.Y. would offer a free beer if you ordered two straight away. If you invited the hostess to join you in a drink they would oblige but the price would double for her drink. The Golden rule was never to be talked in to ordering champagne for her when they would charge you for the full bottle and only 5 mins. of her company.! If you were out of luck and lacked finesse she would leave you for a new prospective customer. This is a normal practice in Rome, Frankfurt, Beirut and the Far East. Not so in Amsterdam. However you could stick around as long as you like on just one drink in the U,S and Europe and no one will bother you. They count on your tips to the strippers who are comparatively low paid
In strip joints its never advisable to go at it alone and if you do make sure the chucker –out notices you are alone. Knowing some form of martial arts and with a few
drinks down, before entry' your confidence will return
However its pretty safe in places like the U.S. , Canada and Europe where the beer is cheap and in some places even cheaper than buying Mineral water!
These days of my twilight years I only jet to London (free) where my two sons live. The rest of the world (including Africa) I can only recall my experiences in my easy chair at home. If time permits I intend to write a book on my jetting around the World for 35 years.
Mally
mfgoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-07, 19:30   #49
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

3·7·19·29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by only_human
I've mused that a lot of a lot of math and physics seems to have at least some peripheral connection to beer i.e, the bubble chamber, The Carlbsburg Foundation fellowships and support for the Niels Bohr Institute, etc.
Yes, the idea for the bubble chamber supposedly came to its inventor, Donald Glaser of the University of Michigan, over beers at a popular local brewpub in Ann Arbor, the Pretzel Bell, in the early 1950s. I downed more than a few beers there myself as a student in the 80s. (Alas, the Pretzel Bell is no longer with us.)
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-07, 19:40   #50
flava

Feb 2003

11810 Posts

I'm glad to see you got a car you are happy with :)
I have a question. Why aren't diesel cars more popular in the USA? The modern diesel engines are silent, powerfull and economic. I have a Toyota Avensis with a 2 liter diesel engine. It has 116hp and high torque at almost any rpm, to get equivalent torque on a gasoline engine you must go for 175hp or more. The mpg estimated by the manufacturer is optimist, but the real mpg is quite good: 33-34 mpg urban and 39-41 mpg highway (reasonable speed, 130km/h)
Hibrids are amazing technology, I didn't get one because:
1. There is no hybrid station wagon available in Europe (and you need such a thing if you hve a big dog)
2. The price
3. No recharge plug yet (only recharged by the thermic engine)

Last fiddled with by flava on 2005-10-07 at 19:43
flava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-07, 20:23   #51
Jeff Gilchrist

Jun 2003
Ottawa, Canada

100100100012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfgoode

The strip clubs in Toronto and Montreal are open till late, some even all night and those are the places where you can get almost anything you wish at any time
Unfortunately a 10 hour or 4 hour round-trip to get a cold beer is a bit much even if there would be entertainment provided. And I don't think using that much gas would be more efficient than just having the fridge in the first place.

Numbers: But if everyone became greener and ditched their fridges, then none of your friends would have cold beer to bring you either, so your plan only works if others pollute for you.
Jeff Gilchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-07, 22:01   #52
JHagerson

May 2005
Naperville, IL, USA

22·72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flava
I have a question. Why aren't diesel cars more popular in the USA?
The exhaust from Diesel cars has not met the standards set by the California Air Quality Board. Because California is (by far) the largest automobile market in the US, manufacturers have not wanted to put any marketing muscle behind vehicles that they could not sell there.

However, new standards to lower the amount of sulphur allowed in Diesel fuel are scheduled to take effect in 2006. Reducing the amount of sulphur in the fuel should help clean up the emissions and allow the cars to be sold in California. Then, we might start seeing Diesel cars promoted in the US.
JHagerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-08, 07:33   #53
flava

Feb 2003

2·59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHagerson
The exhaust from Diesel cars has not met the standards set by the California Air Quality Board. Because California is (by far) the largest automobile market in the US, manufacturers have not wanted to put any marketing muscle behind vehicles that they could not sell there.

However, new standards to lower the amount of sulphur allowed in Diesel fuel are scheduled to take effect in 2006. Reducing the amount of sulphur in the fuel should help clean up the emissions and allow the cars to be sold in California. Then, we might start seeing Diesel cars promoted in the US.
Hmm, that's interesting. I wonder what diesel engines thay based the study on. A "old school" non-catalysed diesel releases much more nitrogen oxides than a gasoline engine, but a lot less CO and CO2 . It also generates much more particles (SP).
A modern catalysed diesel releases a comparable amount of nitrogen oxides to a gasoline (still slightly more), a lot less CO and CO2 and more particles (much better than the old diesel though).
flava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-08, 08:49   #54
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

37×281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHagerson
We've had so-called ULS (ultra low sulphur) diesel on sale for several years in the UK. I'm not even sure that the old fashioned variety is still sold to motorists any more.

I also drive a diesel car --- a 1.9 litre turbocharged Peugot hatchback. Performance is adequate and on long motorway trips it is easy to get over 55 miles per Imperial gallon, corresponding to 44 miles per US gallon and (if I calculated it right) 8.25 litres per 100km.

Actually, my wife uses that vehicle the most. My main transport is a 1100cc Honda Pan European touring motorcycle. I'm averaging 52mpg on that, almost all the mileage being done on city streets commuting to and from work. It will do almost 60mpg on long trips.

Paul
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-09, 20:50   #55
lycorn

Sep 2002
Oeiras, Portugal

3×52×19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman
and (if I calculated it right) 8.25 litres per 100km.
No, you didn´t. 55 mpg is 5,17 liters/100 Km. A much better figure...
lycorn is offline   Reply With Quote