mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2019-09-22, 01:25   #34
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

10100111011112 Posts

"Spicy but pretty good" describes something called "berbere paste" I made a few times many years ago. An interesting part of the process was toasting the spices (including dried chiles minus the seeds) before grinding, and adding to cooked-down onions and garlic.

I used dried piquin chiles.

That stuff was hot!

Curiously, just a tiny bit of berbere paste would eliminate the "tired" flavor of a soup or stew that had been in the fridge a little too long. Adding a large dollop, though...

Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-22, 03:36   #35
masser

Jul 2003
Behind BB

5×192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Garam masala (which translates as "hot-spice mixture") is easy enough to make from ingredients which themselves can be purchased in bulk and will last for a year or two if kept in a cool dark place. Garam masala is best used fresh and so I generally make enough for a month or so at a time. There are recipes all over the web; I generally use one published by Madhur Jaffrey. I can dig it up and post it here if there is sufficient interest.
Interesting; sounds like a fun cooking exercise to make DIY garam masala. After taste-testing the aloo palak, my wife asked about the ingredients. After informing her that I had to omit the garam masala, she went to the spice cupboard and ...promptly found the garam masala jar ... that was in plain sight.
masser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-22, 10:12   #36
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

2·5,569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
This one?

* This took a little more digging. There are two seeds commonly referred to as "black cumin," Bunium bulbocastanum AKA kala zeera, and Nigella sativa AKA kalojeere AKA Kalonji, which further digging revealed, is what Madhur Jaffrey means by "black cumin."
That's the one. I always use regular cumin, aka jeera (the spelling most often seen in the UK), myself because I think it tastes better.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-09, 17:59   #37
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

2×5,569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
Deviled Eggs

ยฝ cup of powdered sugar
ยผ teaspoon salt
1 knife tip of Turkish hash
ยฝ lb of butter
1 teaspoon vanilla-sugar
ยฝ lb flour
150 g ground nuts
A little extra powdered sugar ... and no eggs

Place in a bowl. Add butter. Add the ground nuts and knead the dough. Form eyeball-size pieces from the dough. Roll in the powdered sugar and say the Magic Words: "Sim sala bim bamba sala do saladim!" Place on a greased baking pan and Bake at 200 degrees for 15 minutes ... and no eggs.

(and there is a helpful reading of this recipe by one of the many L.A. bands.)
A variant on hash brownies?
Old 2021-11-09, 18:15   #38
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

2B8216 Posts
Default Chilli with garlic, olive oil and spaghetti.

This dish has many variants but is based on that which Italian men would cook for themselves returning home after a long evening on the vino with their mates and would not dare to wake their women-folks.

Select your chillies, remembering to use several different varieties because a blend of several is vastly superior to using several of a single variety. How many and of which kind should be determined from practice as different people have different tolerances. At least some should fresh (or frozen while fresh) but dried chillies are also acceptable. For a single person's dish I might use one spicy one, such as a Scotch Bonnet, Haberero or Naga, 2 or three medium like Apache or Birds Eye, and a couple of salad chillies like Jalapeรฑo. Use a variety of colours to add interest to the appearance.

Finely mince the hot and medium chillies (include the seeds) and slice the salad chillies.

Peel and finely slice between 3 and 6 cloves of garlic (this is per person).

Boil water and add as much spaghetti as you think you can eat.

Add extra virgin olive oil to a frying pan, guessing how much you need to coat the spaghetti. I generally get this wrong and use too much, which is slightly wasteful but no big deal.

Very gently fry the veggies in the oil. The aim is to soften but not brown the garlic and to extract the capsaicin from the chillies without turning the sliced ones mushy.

When the spag is cooked al dente, drain it and add to the frying pan. Mix well and add freshly ground black pepper. Not too much, which is where I very often go wrong.

Pour on to a heated dish or plate and add ground parmesan to the top.

Serve with a robust red wine such as Valpolicella or Chianti.

Avoid friends who do not like the smell of garlic.

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2021-11-09 at 18:27
Old 2021-11-09, 18:52   #39
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

138E16 Posts

You can always clean the extra olive oil with breadโ€ฆtypically Italian and Portuguese approach.
pinhodecarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-09, 19:46   #40
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

23×233 Posts
Default Re: Chilli with garlic, olive oil and spaghetti.

Thank you for posting this recipe!

The fresh peppers look like a good addition to the plain spaghetti aglio e olio. It appeals to me far more than red pepper flakes!

Since I am so used to using fire-roasted chiles, it occurs to me to wonder how they would do as an addition.

I absolutely agree: Avoid, avoid, avoid browning the garlic!

One way to avoid overcooking the slices is to add them in after the other things.

I probably couldn't eat this within 3 or 4 hours of bed time.

Quote:
<snip>
Avoid friends who do not like the smell of garlic.
No need - they'll avoid you!

Or - if you mean avoid serving this dish to them, I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
You can always clean the extra olive oil with breadโ€ฆtypically Italian and Portuguese approach.

You could also mix it with some butter, and use it to make a loaf of garlic bread...
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-09, 19:52   #41
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

2B8216 Posts

Quote:
True, but if you cooked enough spaghetti you won't be able to eat the bread. Unless you save it for the following day, I guess.
Old 2021-11-09, 20:31   #42
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

2·2,503 Posts

Quote:
True, but if you cooked enough spaghetti you won't be able to eat the bread. Unless you save it for the following day, I guess.
I donโ€™t see why, we would eat all.
pinhodecarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-25, 17:46   #43
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

256028 Posts

Quote:
I donโ€™t see why, we would eat all.
You didn't follow the recipe.

... add as much spaghetti as you think you can eat.

No room for bread after eating that.

I tend to cook more than I can eat in one sitting. The excess is kept in the fridge overnight and eaten cold for breakfast. Many people might find that concept disturbing but it's actually rather nice.
Old 2021-11-26, 13:07   #44
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

23·1,051 Posts

We think leftover spaghetti tastes better than when it is first cooked.

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote