mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2018-06-27, 04:46   #1
devarajkandadai
 
devarajkandadai's Avatar
 
May 2004

31610 Posts
Default pari and p-adic numbers

On page 19 of " number theory" by Borevich and Shefarevich you will find a sequence that leads to 7-adic numbers. The sequence depends on the solution of a linear equation at every stage. An alternate method using pari is illustrated below:

10 = = 3 (mod 7)
108== 10(mod 7^2)
451 = = 108 (mod 7^3)
we now use code: {is(n) = Mod((108 + 343*n),7^4)^2 = = 2};
select (is,[1..100]). we get a sequence of numbers satisfying the code. The smallest
value of n obtained is 6 leading to the next member of above sequence: 2166.
Thus we have obtained a sequence ( using pari) without having to solve any linear
equation.This can be continued indefinitely.
devarajkandadai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-27, 04:56   #2
VBCurtis
 
VBCurtis's Avatar
 
"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

172×19 Posts
Default

Why did you use 108 rather than 59 in the second congruence?
VBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-27, 12:29   #3
CRGreathouse
 
CRGreathouse's Avatar
 
Aug 2006

176316 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarajkandadai View Post
On page 19 of " number theory" by Borevich and Shefarevich you will find a sequence that leads to 7-adic numbers. The sequence depends on the solution of a linear equation at every stage. An alternate method using pari is illustrated below:

10 = = 3 (mod 7)
108== 10(mod 7^2)
451 = = 108 (mod 7^3)
we now use code: {is(n) = Mod((108 + 343*n),7^4)^2 = = 2};
select (is,[1..100]). we get a sequence of numbers satisfying the code. The smallest
value of n obtained is 6 leading to the next member of above sequence: 2166.
Thus we have obtained a sequence ( using pari) without having to solve any linear
equation.This can be continued indefinitely.
So instead of solving a linear equation, you had gp solve 100 linear equations.
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-27, 14:04   #4
Dr Sardonicus
 
Dr Sardonicus's Avatar
 
Feb 2017
Nowhere

3·1,999 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
So instead of solving a linear equation, you had gp solve 100 linear equations.
Why not use polhensellift() or factorpadic()?
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-27, 14:25   #5
CRGreathouse
 
CRGreathouse's Avatar
 
Aug 2006

5,987 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
Why not use polhensellift() or factorpadic()?
The GP code in A034945 just uses the built-in p-adic type. It takes 9 milliseconds to find the 100,000-th term on my machine. devaraj, feel free to compare to your code, I'm not sure how to extend it to that case. As a quick check my answer has 84,510 decimal digits and is of the form
Code:
259265345916500277712186481134963754311965201010586807205594069157787134361146417423434312945701993552539489...9746222274903009641714981399405417166669775352016495125084837567091444060752850366048748957882425104
where the ... represents about 84,300 digits.

In fairness, it errors out if I ask for the millionth term:
Code:
> a(10^6)
  *** _+_: Warning: increasing stack size to 40000000.
  *** _+_: Warning: increasing stack size to 80000000.
  ***   at top-level: a(10^6)
  ***                 ^-------
  ***   in function a: truncate(sqrt(2+O(7^n)))
  ***                                 ^---------
  *** _+_: overflow in precp().
  ***   Break loop: type 'break' to go back to GP prompt
So maybe you can improve on this!

Last fiddled with by CRGreathouse on 2018-06-27 at 14:51
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-28, 03:03   #6
devarajkandadai
 
devarajkandadai's Avatar
 
May 2004

22×79 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCurtis View Post
Why did you use 108 rather than 59 in the second congruence?
Because 59^2 not congruent to 2 (mod 7^3)
devarajkandadai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-28, 10:51   #7
devarajkandadai
 
devarajkandadai's Avatar
 
May 2004

22·79 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
So instead of solving a linear equation, you had gp solve 100 linear equations.
I cannot pretend to be a good pari code writer; even the little knowledge i picked up from you.
devarajkandadai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-28, 11:21   #8
science_man_88
 
science_man_88's Avatar
 
"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

3·2,801 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarajkandadai View Post
I cannot pretend to be a good pari code writer; even the little knowledge i picked up from you.
solve() may come in handy. In my PARI there's also padicfields, padicappr, and padicprec.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pari- p-adic numbers devarajkandadai Software 0 2017-09-23 04:31
LLL in GP/Pari paul0 Programming 2 2015-11-17 13:04
PARI vs GAP skan Miscellaneous Math 0 2012-12-16 00:13
pari devarajkandadai Programming 21 2012-08-31 18:08
64-bit Pari? CRGreathouse Software 2 2009-03-13 04:22

All times are UTC. The time now is 14:40.


Wed Oct 5 14:40:47 UTC 2022 up 48 days, 12:09, 0 users, load averages: 1.26, 1.28, 1.33

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.

≠ ± ∓ ÷ × · − √ ‰ ⊗ ⊕ ⊖ ⊘ ⊙ ≤ ≥ ≦ ≧ ≨ ≩ ≺ ≻ ≼ ≽ ⊏ ⊐ ⊑ ⊒ ² ³ °
∠ ∟ ° ≅ ~ ‖ ⟂ ⫛
≡ ≜ ≈ ∝ ∞ ≪ ≫ ⌊⌋ ⌈⌉ ∘ ∏ ∐ ∑ ∧ ∨ ∩ ∪ ⨀ ⊕ ⊗ 𝖕 𝖖 𝖗 ⊲ ⊳
∅ ∖ ∁ ↦ ↣ ∩ ∪ ⊆ ⊂ ⊄ ⊊ ⊇ ⊃ ⊅ ⊋ ⊖ ∈ ∉ ∋ ∌ ℕ ℤ ℚ ℝ ℂ ℵ ℶ ℷ ℸ 𝓟
¬ ∨ ∧ ⊕ → ← ⇒ ⇐ ⇔ ∀ ∃ ∄ ∴ ∵ ⊤ ⊥ ⊢ ⊨ ⫤ ⊣ … ⋯ ⋮ ⋰ ⋱
∫ ∬ ∭ ∮ ∯ ∰ ∇ ∆ δ ∂ ℱ ℒ ℓ
𝛢𝛼 𝛣𝛽 𝛤𝛾 𝛥𝛿 𝛦𝜀𝜖 𝛧𝜁 𝛨𝜂 𝛩𝜃𝜗 𝛪𝜄 𝛫𝜅 𝛬𝜆 𝛭𝜇 𝛮𝜈 𝛯𝜉 𝛰𝜊 𝛱𝜋 𝛲𝜌 𝛴𝜎𝜍 𝛵𝜏 𝛶𝜐 𝛷𝜙𝜑 𝛸𝜒 𝛹𝜓 𝛺𝜔