chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

932210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.

Not screaming and shouting like the others in the car that he was driving at the time.
I once asked my Mother if she could prove she wasn't in a dream.

"Yes!", she immediately answered. "You're here, and therefore this is a nightmare.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-11, 02:29   #992
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

17×223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
Many believe wearing a mask infringes on their rights, so they don't do it. I fear it may take something really drastic to get the infection rate to drop. Maybe even martial law.
They are the "sheeple" that they claim others are. Even the death of a noted politician from an infection gotten at a political rally (Herman Cain) doesn't seem to have an impact. The Prez is being vary forked tongued about masks.
Well said, Sir! "The pandemic is just a hoax, so the Government can take away our rights." Yeesh. It's the Zombie Apocalypse, I tell you!

Of course, the deaths of 160,000 fellow-citizens doesn't seem to have had an impact, either.

One could question whether Mr. Cain contracted his fatal COVID-19 infection at the Tulsa rally, but it seems likely enough. Lots of people not wearing masks, and he became ill 9 days later -- well within the incubation period.

But -- martial law? Under this Administration? No, thanks! "We have to cancel the election..."

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2020-08-11 at 02:32 Reason: Forgot quotation thingamajigs, xigfin ostpy
Dr Sardonicus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-11, 14:10   #993
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

1004810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Those of us in less developed nations are observing what's been done in the "Great US of A" as "evolution in action".

It's a bit like watching a train wreck in slow motion in real-time.
No argument. Nothing like a bit of distance to improve perspective, but is grim from this end, too.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-11, 18:04   #994
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
U.S.A.

22·421 Posts

A war-correspondent during WWII, named Robert Sherrod, made a statement questioning the Marines willingness to fight. I will have to paraphrase. He said something like, "I wonder if these men can make the transition from the delights of peace to the horrors of war?"

Sherrod saw a lot in places like Tarawa, Saipan, Iwo Jima, and Okinawa. He remarked later that they died by the thousands and never quit for an instant. Take the same group of 18 to 21 year-olds now, well, we would just be totally screwed. They would want timeout, have their butts wiped, and would be looking down at their phones all the time.

The U.S.A is limp like a wet rag. NATO member countries now consider us as being "unreliable." COVID-19 is so thick here, people from other parts of the world are actually afraid for their own safety in their native lands. I have never seen anything like this before, and it is not likely to improve anytime soon.

Last fiddled with by storm5510 on 2020-08-11 at 18:04
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-11, 19:51   #995
tServo

"Marv"
May 2009
near the Tannhäuser Gate

21F16 Posts

Quote:

Take the same group of 18 to 21 year-olds now, well, we would just be totally screwed. They would want timeout, have their butts wiped, and would be looking down at their phones all the time.
I agree.
This is an anecdote about my uncle from his son:

My uncle enlisted in the navy in 1940 with his brother. Note this was BEFORE Pearl Harbor. Since he was mostly stationed on aircraft carriers, he was almost always at sea and frequently in combat. He rarely got the chance to send or receive mail. Despite the points system, he didn't muster out until the summer of 1946.

During Gulf War 1, he was watching the evening news that had a segment about our troop's morale. ALL of them were whining about not getting to call home every day and the cost of doing so when they did. He was so furious, he put his shoe thru the TV !! It was a tube TV, not a flat screen.
tServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-11, 23:39   #996
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
U.S.A.

32248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tServo View Post
I agree.
This is an anecdote about my uncle from his son:

My uncle enlisted in the navy in 1940 with his brother. Note this was BEFORE Pearl Harbor. Since he was mostly stationed on aircraft carriers, he was almost always at sea and frequently in combat. He rarely got the chance to send or receive mail. Despite the points system, he didn't muster out until the summer of 1946.

During Gulf War 1, he was watching the evening news that had a segment about our troop's morale. ALL of them were whining about not getting to call home every day and the cost of doing so when they did. He was so furious, he put his shoe thru the TV !! It was a tube TV, not a flat screen.
Your uncle was in the navy for over 50 years. Desert Storm was in 1990, I believe. That is some kind of record.

It takes considerable force to break one of those old CRT tubes. Most country folk would get out the old scatter-gun and solve it that way.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-12, 00:58   #997
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

27·61 Posts

Every generation has the older generation telling them they are soft.

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-12, 02:16   #998
tServo

"Marv"
May 2009
near the Tannhäuser Gate

3·181 Posts

Quote:
Your uncle was in the navy for over 50 years. Desert Storm was in 1990, I believe. That is some kind of record.

It takes considerable force to break one of those old CRT tubes. Most country folk would get out the old scatter-gun and solve it that way.
In my post I said "He didn't muster out until 1946" so he did 6 years.
tServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-12, 02:19   #999
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

7·277 Posts

What is wrong with young people today? - A view from the past.
https://proto-knowledge.blogspot.com...today.html?m=1
a1call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-12, 03:08   #1000
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2×173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Every generation has the older generation telling them they are soft.
Which doesn't mean that for some generations, it isn't true. :)

I mean, a generation of smartphone-addicted screen-starers, and also the most overweight - at least in the US - in history.

Not that I'm blaming the kids, mind you - greedy corporations worked very hard to feed the various toxic addictions encompassed by the above, and a generation of overprotective "helicopter parents" did the rest.

"Butlerian Jihad" springs to mind ... except that the vision of what the protagonist wants to do by way of "re-educating" the Erewhonians in the referenced classic novel is really quite appalling.

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2020-08-12 at 03:09
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-12, 12:58   #1001
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

1E8016 Posts

Some people say Socrates said this:
Quote:
The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote