Old 2017-06-03, 21:19   #67
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26·131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
Yes, I think this would be good. If you put it up on Google Sheets (without your income, of course, for privacy) you could even share it with us. No doubt you know more about the local tax code than we do.
my income is my check and $150 a month at my current ( looking to be former if I got my way) job placement. oh and every 3 months or so a GST and once a year pov reduction ( GST I have to claim on the forms I do for my check). edit: I was once told I should go into accounting because I liked math. taxation is mostly weighted sums from my perspective. I'll see what I can find on google sheets I guess. using the taxation shown I could try expanding it to other provinces in theory. Other than paying to have my taxes done I don't think I've ever actually had a year I had to pay a thing in taxes because I'm on income assistance.

Last fiddled with by science_man_88 on 2017-06-03 at 21:26
Old 2017-06-03, 21:35   #68
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

3×55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by science_man_88 View Post
Other than paying to have my taxes done I don't think I've ever actually had a year I had to pay a thing in taxes because I'm on income assistance.
If I may please share a true story...

I once found myself at 85 feet below sea level, and my air source was no longer supplying air.

It turned out that I had rented bad kit, and the regulator mouth piece had detached from the regulator.

Fortunately I remembered my training from about twenty years earlier, and I grabbed my octopus regulator and was able to take a breath.
Old 2017-06-03, 21:46   #69
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

203008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
If I may please share a true story...

I once found myself at 85 feet below sea level, and my air source was no longer supplying air.

It turned out that I had rented bad kit, and the regulator mouth piece had detached from the regulator.

Fortunately I remembered my training from about twenty years earlier, and I grabbed my octopus regulator and was able to take a breath.
is this about me being stupid because I shouldn't understand the system, having never paid into it to my knowledge.
Old 2017-06-03, 21:52   #70
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

3×55 Posts

Quote:
is this about me being stupid because I shouldn't understand the system, having never paid into it to my knowledge.
No.

This is about always being ready to face the universe alone.
Old 2017-06-03, 22:15   #71
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

203008 Posts
Default attempt for NS

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Old 2017-06-03, 22:35   #72
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

593910 Posts

Nice. You might add a total effective tax rate... and a marginal rate, if you're feeling particularly ambitious.

Is Basic Income derived from a similar simple formula?
Old 2017-06-03, 22:43   #73
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

100000110000002 Posts

Quote:
Nice. You might add a total effective tax rate... and a marginal rate, if you're feeling particularly ambitious.

Is Basic Income derived from a similar simple formula?
in theory your income would be hourly rate * hours at least pretax ( or that's how my mind has for the basics (it's more complicated I know) it my job placement just gives me a constant amount per month as a training allowance regardless of hours worked) but for me on the system my assistance is related to the above and what I claim to get an initial check ( for example when I tried to go to school/a job placement I got to claim clothing on top of what I was getting, living with my sister at one point it was part of the electric bill I think and up to a certain amount of the rent etc.) minimum wage order ( a lot of exceptions etc) can be accessed at :

http://novascotia.ca/lae/employmentr...inimumwage.asp

edit: if I expanded to other provinces I was thinking of have coloring based on minimum and maximum so people can figure out which province is best if they make between certain amounts. the marginal rates based on a quick google search would be the rates I used to calculate the sum wouldn't it? whereas the effective is just (income tax)/(total income) at least for people without capital gains wouldn't it ?

Last fiddled with by science_man_88 on 2017-06-03 at 23:06
Old 2017-06-04, 01:48   #74
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

134638 Posts

Quote:
in theory your income would be hourly rate * hours at least pretax
Right... but I was actually asking about Basic Income which as I understand is the Canadian equivalent of the US welfare system (TANF, SNAP, Section 8, etc.).

Quote:
but for me on the system my assistance is related to the above and what I claim to get an initial check ( for example when I tried to go to school/a job placement I got to claim clothing on top of what I was getting, living with my sister at one point it was part of the electric bill I think and up to a certain amount of the rent etc.)
Right, that's closer to what I meant.

Quote:
edit: if I expanded to other provinces I was thinking of have coloring based on minimum and maximum so people can figure out which province is best if they make between certain amounts.
Sounds useful! If nothing else it could be used to show the difference between different provinces and territories.

Quote:
the marginal rates based on a quick google search would be the rates I used to calculate the sum wouldn't it? whereas the effective is just (income tax)/(total income) at least for people without capital gains wouldn't it ?
Effective tax rate is just actual tax divided by income, yes. Marginal tax rate is the derivative of the effective tax rate with respect to income. It's often described as the tax you would pay on one additional dollar of income. In a progressive tax system, it is greater than to your effective tax rate.
Old 2017-06-04, 01:52   #75
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26×131 Posts

Quote:
Right, that's closer to what I meant.
okay well when I first got on the system I claimed 300 board and mostly got the rest it was $498 /month I think. I'm not on welfare I'm on income assistance there's welfare here as well at last check and a few other systems I think.

Last fiddled with by science_man_88 on 2017-06-04 at 01:54
Old 2017-06-04, 02:06   #76
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

5,939 Posts

Quote:
I'm not on welfare I'm on income assistance there's welfare here as well at last check and a few other systems I think.
I'm sure it's complicated enough to need a spreadsheet.
Old 2017-06-04, 02:11   #77
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26·131 Posts

Quote:
I'm sure it's complicated enough to need a spreadsheet.
probably but I don't know too much about all the subsystems. I can relate the sums I'm working on to this numberphile video ( could also work in the number theory group threads except I'm not sure I remember this version of adding sets being covered):

edit:okay maybe I can't but I did just think about product free sets ( or what I would call product free sets on the naturals I guess) and their relation to sets of divisors which got me thinking back to aligen etc. anyways so off topic.

Last fiddled with by science_man_88 on 2017-06-04 at 02:25
Closed Thread