mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet > GPU to 72

Old 2019-11-19, 16:35   #45
kracker
ἀβουλία

"Mr. Meeseeks"
Jan 2012
California, USA

1000011000102 Posts

"Fixed" the problem, put !apt-get -y install cuda-cudart-10-0
before it launches bootstrap.pl
kracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-19, 17:09   #46
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

34·109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kracker View Post
"Fixed" the problem, put !apt-get -y install cuda-cudart-10-0 before it launches bootstrap.pl
Sweet! Thanks!!!

Just back from buying a new MB, CPU and RAM. Going offline to rebuild the machine now.

I'll be able to apply the change later today (hopefully)...
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-20, 03:29   #47
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

17·251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kracker View Post
"Fixed" the problem, put !apt-get -y install cuda-cudart-10-0
before it launches bootstrap.pl
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-29, 22:02   #48
Chuck

May 2011
Orange Park, FL

24×3×17 Posts
Default Any way to reset the uptime?

Sometimes my multiple Colab sessions get "out of sync" — that is, the uptime values are not the same.

Is there any way to stop and restart a notebook so the uptime restarts at zero? So far whenever I restart one, the uptime value resumes where it left off.

I could just let them all run out, but that would waste two sessions while the shortest one runs out (24 hours on the paid tier).
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-29, 22:09   #49
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

34·109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Is there any way to stop and restart a notebook so the uptime restarts at zero? So far whenever I restart one, the uptime value resumes where it left off.
Under the Colab front end's "Runtime" menu, choose "Restart Runtime".

I /believe/ this gives you a freshly launched runtime, but I could be wrong. If that doesn't help, try the "Factory reset runtime" menu time.

Failing all of that not working, try "Manage Sessions" -> "Terminate" on the pop-up window, assuming that option isn't greyed out.

I'd test this myself, but I don't want to risk losing any of my current seven T4s...

BTW, thanks for beta testing the P-1'ing CPU side-job thingy. Looks like it's working nominally.
Old 2020-02-29, 22:28   #50
Chuck

May 2011
Orange Park, FL

24·3·17 Posts
Default The Colab CPU

The Colab CPU doesn't work like I thought it would. I thought I would get a second executing cell with scrolling output like the GPU process. The CPU process seems to run secretly.

Could you give a simplified explanation as to how this works?
Old 2020-02-29, 22:35   #51
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

34×109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Could you give a simplified explanation as to how this works?
Under the Notebook concept, only a single "Section" can run at a time. Thus, it would be impossible to have a second scrolling section of the output. This interface concept is more designed for education. We're doing this at the sufferance of (and thanks to) Google -- we work with what we've been given...

Thus, the GPU72_TF Notebook launches a subprocess that runs in the background, fetching, working, and reporting on the CPU "work units".

Now that I'm happy that the code is sane (including with the server interaction, and restarting), the next step is to make the progress lines from the CPU process available to the GPU process, to report in the same window output to the humans.
Old 2020-02-29, 22:40   #52
Chuck

May 2011
Orange Park, FL

33016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Under the Colab front end's "Runtime" menu, choose "Restart Runtime".

I /believe/ this gives you a freshly launched runtime, but I could be wrong. If that doesn't help, try the "Factory reset runtime" menu time.

Failing all of that not working, try "Manage Sessions" -> "Terminate" on the pop-up window, assuming that option isn't greyed out.

I'd test this myself, but I don't want to risk losing any of my current seven T4s...

BTW, thanks for beta testing the P-1'ing CPU side-job thingy. Looks like it's working nominally.
Restart runtime started with the old uptime.
Factory reset runtime started over at zero.