mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Math > Number Theory Discussion Group

Old 2018-01-03, 21:39   #34
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

26·32·19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
I'm creating a test Windows VM for something else so maybe I'll give this a sandboxed spin just to see what, if anything, I can gather from it, out of curiosity. No GPUs for it to work with, but whatever.
Back during the August discussion above I asked David Stanfill if he could run the code sandboxed on one of his high-end GPUs to see if the resulting activity signature indicated a possible mining client underneath ... IIRC he came back with "no inidication of mining, just a lot of data-encryption going on", which matches the author's "you provide the yuuuge amount of hardware and cycles needed, I get credit for any discoveries" bezzle-m.o.
ewmayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-03, 22:23   #35
GP2

Sep 2003

50228 Posts

Quote:
I'm creating a test Windows VM for something else so maybe I'll give this a sandboxed spin just to see what, if anything, I can gather from it, out of curiosity. No GPUs for it to work with, but whatever.
It sounds like you can now select your own exponents to test. So try M50, with an actual GPU, on a standalone unconnected machine.

If we're paranoid, we might wonder if knowledge of earlier Mersenne primes is hardcoded into the program. But M50 can't have been, as long as you downloaded the program before today's announcement, and run it while disconnected from the Internet.

So run M50 and see if it signals anything and how long it takes.

Seems like a fool's errand, but why not

Last fiddled with by GP2 on 2018-01-03 at 22:25
GP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-03, 23:24   #36
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

2×3×1,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP2 View Post
It sounds like you can now select your own exponents to test. So try M50, with an actual GPU, on a standalone unconnected machine.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-04, 03:21   #37
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

2·32·467 Posts

Quote:

If we're paranoid, we might wonder if knowledge of earlier Mersenne primes is hardcoded into the program. But M50 can't have been, as long as you downloaded the program before today's announcement, and run it while disconnected from the Internet.

So run M50 and see if it signals anything and how long it takes.

Seems like a fool's errand, but why not
Excellent idea! See if the program tells you anything about M50 being prime. And if not, the guy is really a fraud and an ordinary thief.
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-20, 15:34   #38
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

7×499 Posts
Default Highest exponent runs on record in GIMPS

LL: https://www.mersenne.org/report_ll/?...exfactor=1&B1=
currently 604M verified, by a specially modified version of prime95;
999999937 unverified, by CUDALucas 2.06beta
standard prime95 does up to 595M (~920M if system supports FMA3);
CUDALucas and clLucas support up to 64M fft length, ~1143M exponent.

PRP: https://www.mersenne.org/report_prp/...exfactor=1&B1=
unverified:332438767

PRP verified: https://www.mersenne.org/report_prp/...exfactor=1&B1=
verified: 83871679 (my PRP DC of it was on gpuOwL)
current or recent versions of gpuOwL support up to around 2500M exponent as I recall
standard prime95 does up to 595M (~920M if system supports FMA3);

P-1 completion to primenet / gpu72 bounds: URL?

TF completion to primenet/ gpu72 bounds: URL?

BothTF & P-1 to primenet/gpu72 bounds: https://www.mersenne.org/report_fact...99&tftobits=72
currently 937000007 (by modified prime95?)

mfaktx limits ~232-1 ~4295M
prime95 P-1 limit is thought to match its LL limits (standard 595M, 920M).

CUDAPm1 v0.20 theoretical limit 1143M, in practice <~433M for both stages (up to ~735M for stage 1) and varies versus GPU and bounds and probably other factors.

CEMPLLA: ?
(none successful by any GIMPS volunteers, as far as I know; even installation is reportedly a problem)
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-16, 07:28   #39
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

3×5×7×31 Posts

I recently put an Nvidia P2000 in the home system I use for an NVR... I thought this might be an interesting time to actually test out this CEMPLLA thing.

So, I went to the trouble of creating a VM with the RemoteFX stuff setup to give it everything it should need.

Upon installing, the first thing it complained about was the missing Visual C++ 2010 redistributable... didn't actually say that, it complained about a missing DLL, but I knew which runtime and version it needed, so I put that on and ran the install again.

There's a version 1.51 out that has something fun called "AddCandy" that lets you specify a particular exponent. Well cool, I thought. I'll put in M51 and see how that goes... it's not public, so there's no way it could be sneaky with a list of known primes and claim to have "found" it. Well... except no. It won't accept exponents that small. Meh.

When poking around in the binaries I saw some resource text that would pop up and say things like "that exponent has a known factor" or whatever. I wondered what/where it would get a list of known factors... maybe from GIMPS? So I put in an exponent in the 335M range that has already been factored. It took it just fine, said there weren't any factors, so have fun.

I have no idea where it "stores" this exponent to test. I was monitoring AddCandy with procmon and I looked to see what it was doing. Wrote a bunch of 1-byte files (and by "a bunch" I mean there are over 300 of them, with weird filenames like "Host\C\C\S\1HH63M500000010000000.n") - well that's useless.

So now time to launch CEMPLLA itself. No dice. Clicked on the friendly icon it put on the desktop, and all I got for all that trouble was a message saying "encountered a bit of a problem" and explaining that it's not actually installed, and hey, no problem, just install the program. Well, I did... I mean, I literally just did. So I installed again, ran again, same problem.

What an enormous waste of time.

We all know this program is bogus... doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure that out, but I at least thought it would try and infect my VM or mine for crypto or something "interesting", but as I'm monitoring it, I don't see it do anything but error out.

Maybe it's smarter than I gave it credit for in the sense that it sees procmon running, or knows it's in a VM that might be monitored, so it fails "harmlessly".

Again... what an enormous waste of time. But now we all know. (just watch the author bilirubin...er, Billy Rubin, come on here defending his app and saying it was my fault, and RemoteFX isn't a supported config or something, blah blah).
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-16, 14:06   #40
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

22·769 Posts

Quote:
<snip> We all know this program is bogus... doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure that out, but I at least thought it would try and infect my VM or mine for crypto or something "interesting", but as I'm monitoring it, I don't see it do anything but error out.

Maybe it's smarter than I gave it credit for in the sense that it sees procmon running, or knows it's in a VM that might be monitored, so it fails "harmlessly".

Again... what an enormous waste of time. But now we all know. (just watch the author bilirubin...er, Billy Rubin, come on here defending his app and saying it was my fault, and RemoteFX isn't a supported config or something, blah blah).
Perhaps it's just resting.
Dr Sardonicus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-16, 17:07   #41
GP2

Sep 2003

2·1,289 Posts

Maybe the gremlins who alter thread titles could have a go at this one.

After all, M51 will soon be sending these forums more attention than usual...
GP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-16, 17:11   #42
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

13·409 Posts

Quote:
Maybe the gremlins who alter thread titles could have a go at this one.
CEMPLLA 1.5 is the only software in the world incapable of discovering any primes
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-16, 17:20   #43
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

229D16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
CEMPLLA 1.5 is the only software in the world incapable of discovering any primes
And will root your kit if you install it....
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-16, 18:33   #44
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

7×499 Posts
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Clearly not. See also CEMPLLA 1.0. (Also most word processing software, email clients, etc.)
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote