mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Math > Number Theory Discussion Group

Old 2017-07-11, 15:05   #12
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

3·5·7·31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
I wanted to run independent checks, but the "stock" version of Prime95 couldn't do it. I think George had provided a test build with more FFT sizes.

v29.x has larger FFT sizes, right? Maybe I could do one now and totally throw off the clever computer naming... if I even get the chance. The place I work is moving our stuff to the cloud so my days of having actual, physical boxen to work with are doomed. :(
Never mind... I tried 29.2 and it still can't do the stuff over ~600M. Oh well.

At least it does a LOT better with M595999993 which I always got a ton of immediate errors on with 28.9. With an ETA of 169 days on that one (14 cores) I don't think I'll bother at this point.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-11, 15:39   #13
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

83×101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP2 View Post
But it's easy to answer those questions. I guess the exact answer depends on whether you accept the self-verified results by Never Odd Or Even.
You are very bad guy! Deliberately excluded me, by selecting a higher starting exponent! Bad guy!
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-11, 17:22   #14
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

3×29×113 Posts

Quote:
Never mind... I tried 29.2 and it still can't do the stuff over ~600M. Oh well.

At least it does a LOT better with M595999993 which I always got a ton of immediate errors on with 28.9. With an ETA of 169 days on that one (14 cores) I don't think I'll bother at this point.
[RDS]Instant gratification generation ...[/RDS]
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-11, 17:41   #15
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

2·2,927 Posts

Interesting update from the other thread, in which the author declines (again) to provide timing data:
Quote:
But any timings that I've performed would be meaningless to publish, because my GPU hardware is not what CEMPLLA requires. In fact, the very last time I ran CEMPLLA on my machine, it very correctly erred out after ten minutes with the message "At this rate, you'll never get a result, so proceeding is pointless." (which is by design).
I asked:
Quote:
Do you know of anyone who has hardware that doesn't cause this error?
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-11, 18:49   #16
GP2

Sep 2003

2×1,289 Posts

Quote:
... if I even get the chance. The place I work is moving our stuff to the cloud so my days of having actual, physical boxen to work with are doomed. :(
This sounds like big news, casually dropped. Will it affect your contributions to the project in a negative way?

I'm a big fan of the cloud, but it allows you to quickly increase and decrease the number of servers to exactly match the needs of the moment, so I imagine there will be less spare computing capacity than before. They may even be planning to lay off sysadmin staff as a cost-cutting measure, since the need for on-site expertise in that area is less after a migration to the cloud.

Last fiddled with by GP2 on 2017-07-11 at 18:57
GP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-11, 19:04   #17
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

32·7·107 Posts

Quote:
Never mind... I tried 29.2 and it still can't do the stuff over ~600M.
Dang. I added FFT code to test up to 900M or so. Can't say that I tested it.....
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-11, 20:59   #18
wombatman
I moo ablest echo power!

May 2013

23·7·31 Posts

From the NVIDIA thread:

Quote:
Look, it's really very simple.

CEMPLLA is offered to the public on a "try before you buy" basis - only there's nothing to "buy", and CEMPLLA is not "crippled" in any way, shape, or form.

But that doesn't obviate the requirement to "try" it, which is the operative word in the aforementioned paradigm.

If you're unwilling or unable to "try" it, then you're giving it a pass. By definition.

CEMPLLA itself answers all of the questions you've posed, and more. As for benchmarks, and in line with industry standards, that's more of a concern for the active User Base of a software product, if and when they want to get together to discuss such matters amongst themselves. And that is as it should be, because only a User Base has the breadth of hardware diversity required to garner any kind of meaningful results.

What you haven't stated explicitly in your comments is that you simply don't believe that I'm on the level; that I could be some kind of software pirate, or worse, and you want proof that I'm not.

So let me be clear. I offer no such proof. To you or anyone else. Because, quite frankly, it's beneath me.

And you're free to interpret that any way you'd like.
wombatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-11, 21:06   #19
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

3×11×137 Posts

Best thing is to ignore. You are all giving him importance.
pinhodecarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-11, 21:07   #20
Mysticial

Sep 2016

23·41 Posts

You have to admit, this guy is pretty amazing. Usually it's difficult to distinguish incompetence from malice.
But I think this guy might be the first person I've seen who's able to be both at the same time.
Mysticial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-11, 21:27   #21
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

585410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticial View Post
You have to admit, this guy is pretty amazing. Usually it's difficult to distinguish incompetence from malice.
But I think this guy might be the first person I've seen who's able to be both at the same time.
I tried very hard to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he wasn't making it easy.
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-11, 21:41   #22
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

10010100011112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticial View Post
Put him in front of the risk to be sued by a dozen of lawyers once you try the software and your system shows there is something not working as advised...
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote