mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet > MISFIT

Closed Thread

Old 2012-11-14, 22:01   #12
kladner

"Kieren, ktony"
Jul 2011

2·13·367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swl551 View Post
Chalsall,
I'll need some feedback from the community at large if adding support to MISFIT is commonly desired. As you can see most of my recent feature releases have not had many responses. I think I've maxxed out the usefull features MISFIT can provide.

So, maybe you can get some feelers out and if the response is positive we'll review the MISFIT <-> GPU72 interface options again.

Scott
Sorry for the lack of feedback. I've been tied up in a beta test which has had me in an off-again on-again condition.
Old 2012-11-15, 20:28   #13
flashjh

"Jerry"
Nov 2011
Vancouver, WA

1,123 Posts

I would really like GPU72 support, please.
Old 2012-11-16, 01:18   #14
swl551

Aug 2012
New Hampshire

32216 Posts

flashjh are we ready to close out the effort on GPU farming support?
Old 2012-11-16, 01:31   #15
flashjh

"Jerry"
Nov 2011
Vancouver, WA

1,123 Posts

Quote:
flashjh are we ready to close out the effort on GPU farming support?
What do you mean?
Old 2012-11-16, 01:39   #16
swl551

Aug 2012
New Hampshire

2·401 Posts

Sorry: Do you think MISFIT requires further enhancements to support GPU farms or has the recent set of changes brought us far enough along that looking at GPU72 support should be next?
Old 2012-11-16, 01:40   #17
flashjh

"Jerry"
Nov 2011
Vancouver, WA

1,123 Posts

Quote:
Sorry: Do you think MISFIT requires further enhancements to support GPU farms or has the recent set of changes brought us far enough along that looking at GPU72 support should be next?
Ah, ok. I'm testing now. I just PMd you for some setup 'help' so I make sure I do it right.
Old 2012-11-16, 08:34   #18
sonjohan

May 2003
Belgium

2·139 Posts

Scott,

I don't have a gpu farm. I only have 1 laptop which works with mfaktc.
The other 2 PC's have only compute capability 1.0 :(

So support for gpu-farms is not useful for me.
I therefore cannot give you any feedback.
Gpu72 support however is very interesting for me....
Old 2012-11-17, 23:41   #19
flashjh

"Jerry"
Nov 2011
Vancouver, WA

1,123 Posts

Scott,

I completed my GPU server farm conversion over to MISFIT 2.0 and I got all the remote functions working. At this point everything is seamless. I was able to do some consolidation of my batch files now that MISFIT does most of the work. It's a great product and I thank you very much for your hard work!!
Old 2012-11-18, 00:00   #20
swl551

Aug 2012
New Hampshire

2×401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashjh View Post
Scott,

I completed my GPU server farm conversion over to MISFIT 2.0 and I got all the remote functions working. At this point everything is seamless. I was able to do some consolidation of my batch files now that MISFIT does most of the work. It's a great product and I thank you very much for your hard work!!
Great to hear it all works. Any chance of a screenshot of the remote control panel showing us some stuff?
Old 2012-11-18, 00:01   #21
flashjh

"Jerry"
Nov 2011
Vancouver, WA

1,123 Posts
Default MISFIT Feature Requests

A few requests to make this even better (in order of importance):

1 - Make it so that a time can be specified to collect and send results once a day at a designated time instead of at regular intervals (more on this in #2). Since it's all working so well now, I don't see any reason to upload more than once a day (probably cut down the load on PrimeNet also). I'm not saying to take the interval feature out as some may still want it, but add it as an option.

2 - Goes together with #1, I would like the option to have MISFIT to issue a STOP command to all remote workers before collecting the results and then START again once collected, before submission. The reason for this is I've lost at least 20 results in the last 3 weeks due to a read/write conflict. I know you had a safe mode for local instances, but this will allow safe collection of remote results. You already have a INQUIRE command, so the program could issue STOP to all the remote systems, send INQUIRE to each until all return 0 instances running, collect the results and then send START to all again and then submit. (As a bonus, collect running instances before and after and if they all instances don't restart, send an email indicating there could be a problem). I think it's still ok to check for work that needs to be balanced more often, but do you think STOP should be issued before actual balancing (and any write operation), as well?

3 - Add the ability for MISFIT to restart the remote computers. I would like the option to have MISFIT restart all systems weekly on a designated day/time. MISFIT issues a STOP command to all remote systems, INQUIRES until all return 0 and then issue RESTART. MISFIT should then auto-suspend collecting data until all systems respond to INQUIRE. (The reason for this one is I've turned off auto-updates on all my GPU systems, so an automated controlled weekly restart would be awesome).

4 - Have a button to do #3 (STOP and RESTART all remote systems)

5 - Have button or option to sort all worktodo files lowest exponent first (except top line)

6 - For full automation I'm requesting support for GPU72

7 - Make the columns re-sizable inside the grid

8 - Hide the left column

9 - The bottom row info moved to the box below so it's displayed all the time

10 - Put the time till next upload along side the timer

11 - Make the whole app re-sizeable and make the inside grid auto-expand (current size is minimum).

Again, I really appreciate all your work on this. I know it must be hard work.

Jerry

EDIT: Added screenshot of remote after INQUIRY
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MISFITREMOTE.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	8880  

Last fiddled with by flashjh on 2012-11-18 at 00:04 Reason: Screenshot
Old 2012-11-18, 01:25   #22
swl551

Aug 2012
New Hampshire

2·401 Posts
Default That's a tall order of work!

Some are easy and will be in an upcoming release, some are not and will require many hours of work.

1,4,7,9,10 are easy and will be in 2.2

2,3 are significant and need a lot of design to make it all work. Future

5. I'm going to pass on this one as it would significantly complicate assigning work and re-balance which are both built as FIFO. However I can add SORT by EXPONENT to the ADD WORK system before it is assigned out. Let me know if that will be of any value.

6 is still up in the air.

11. Pass. Full re-size of a forms app with every control maintaining proper anchoring and aspect ratio is so tedious I'll never have the patience to do it.

Loosing 20 results due to IO collision has astronomical odds against it. More likely scenarios should be considered. Inspect the contents of MISFITbackups for clues on when exponents actually disappeared. I'll work with you directly on this since the possible scenarios are rather large.
Closed Thread