mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet > MISFIT

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-18, 00:44   #34
swl551

Aug 2012
New Hampshire

32216 Posts
Default A quick read about MONO.

My quick read of MONO suggest the only feature of mfaktXapp that will not not to work is my SendControlCode.exe where I use low-level APIs to attach to the mfaktC/O console and send the CTRL-C signal to stop the processes.

I'd need someone else to write a native version of that in C for LINUX that I can call.

I'll do more research over the next few days.
Old 2012-10-18, 01:01   #35
Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

160658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swl551 View Post
My quick read of MONO suggest the only feature of mfaktXapp that will not not to work is my SendControlCode.exe where I use low-level APIs to attach to the mfaktC/O console and send the CTRL-C signal to stop the processes.

I'd need someone else to write a native version of that in C for LINUX that I can call.

I'll do more research over the next few days.
No need, I'm sure. I don't use mfakt*, and chalsall's the only other one around these parts who uses Linux, and we all know what he thinks.
Old 2012-10-18, 01:13   #36
kracker
ἀβουλία

"Mr. Meeseeks"
Jan 2012
California, USA

23×269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubslow View Post
No need, I'm sure. I don't use mfakt*, and chalsall's the only other one around these parts who uses Linux, and we all know what he thinks.
Not the only one, I'm sure
Old 2012-10-18, 23:55   #37
swl551

Aug 2012
New Hampshire

32216 Posts
Default HUNG INSTANCE DETECTION AND NOTIFICATION

JMLMX contacted me if mfaktXapp could detect hung instances of mfaktC/O and fire off an email notification.
For him his overclocked GPU occasionally just stops processing, but the mfaktC instance is still there. When this happens he may loose many hours of potential processing time.

This is a very simple feature set to add, but before I commit I'm wondering if others have the same issue.
Old 2012-10-19, 00:06   #38
kracker
ἀβουλία

"Mr. Meeseeks"
Jan 2012
California, USA

23×269 Posts

Quote:
JMLMX contacted me if mfaktXapp could detect hung instances of mfaktC/O and fire off an email notification.
For him his overclocked GPU occasionally just stops processing, but the mfaktC instance is still there. When this happens he may loose many hours of potential processing time.

This is a very simple feature set to add, but before I commit I'm wondering if others have the same issue.
I OC my gpu quite a bit, and it very rarely *does* hang, but I'm usually at home most of the time.... now is the rare occasion I'm away
Yeah, it would be a nice edition to have, I believe, atleast for myself.
Old 2012-10-19, 00:27   #39
flashjh

"Jerry"
Nov 2011
Vancouver, WA

1,123 Posts

Quote:

Yes, me too. I don't overclock, but there are times when all instances look fine but they're not doing anything. I usually don't notice until I see my individual stats on GPU72 drop for no reason (several days later, of course).

Last fiddled with by flashjh on 2012-10-19 at 00:34
Old 2012-10-19, 00:40   #40
swl551

Aug 2012
New Hampshire

2×401 Posts
Default Looks like it is worth adding.

Quote:

Ok... I'll add this to the list. It will be after the AUTO_WORK_FETCH release...
Old 2012-10-19, 03:40   #41
flashjh

"Jerry"
Nov 2011
Vancouver, WA

1,123 Posts

Is it possible to have it start all the workers automatically after the system is rebooted without having to wait for one of the scheduled times?

I can have the schedule set, but I could use a feature that instead of a schedule, it starts all the workers after a set amount of time after reboot, like Prime95 does.

Really awesome program. I'm going to transition all my workers to this over the day or so. It will make distributing work soooooo much easier! I'll keep you updated on anything else. Thanks for working on this.

Last fiddled with by flashjh on 2012-10-19 at 03:44
Old 2012-10-19, 05:37   #42
flashjh

"Jerry"
Nov 2011
Vancouver, WA

1,123 Posts

Another request: Is it possible to have a checkbox (or similar) in the configuration to have it ignore the 1st line of all worktodo.txt files when it balances.

Reason: Once each worker has already started on an exponent, if the balancer moves all the top lines to another worker, then all the work is lost unless the save file is manually moved to the new location (which is hard to track) or the exponent just happens to get left with the same worker.

Edit: I thought I was watching where each worker's exponents moved to... does the program already track this and move the checkpoint files to the right place?

Last fiddled with by flashjh on 2012-10-19 at 05:57
Old 2012-10-19, 12:17   #43
swl551

Aug 2012
New Hampshire

2·401 Posts
Default The balance work feature never moves the top line of the file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashjh View Post
Another request: Is it possible to have a checkbox (or similar) in the configuration to have it ignore the 1st line of all worktodo.txt files when it balances.

Reason: Once each worker has already started on an exponent, if the balancer moves all the top lines to another worker, then all the work is lost unless the save file is manually moved to the new location (which is hard to track) or the exponent just happens to get left with the same worker.

Edit: I thought I was watching where each worker's exponents moved to... does the program already track this and move the checkpoint files to the right place?
The balance work feature never moves the top line of the file. At least it is NOT supposed to. As long as the top line is protected there is no need to move CKP files since they shouldn't exist for anything below the top line.

If you finding that top line is being moved let me know, but please be sure since much effort and testing by others has confirmed this works. (or used to)
Old 2012-10-19, 12:20   #44
swl551

Aug 2012
New Hampshire

2·401 Posts
Default Sure, I can add that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashjh View Post
Is it possible to have it start all the workers automatically after the system is rebooted without having to wait for one of the scheduled times?

I can have the schedule set, but I could use a feature that instead of a schedule, it starts all the workers after a set amount of time after reboot, like Prime95 does.

Really awesome program. I'm going to transition all my workers to this over the day or so. It will make distributing work soooooo much easier! I'll keep you updated on anything else. Thanks for working on this.
Maybe able to get that into an update to 1.5
Closed Thread