mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet > GPU to 72

Old 2013-12-05, 15:40   #56
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

838010 Posts

I have a 4 core cpu which used to fetch P-1 work from gpu72 with all cores for ages. For a while I switched one core to a different work type (one curve ECM-F) and switched back to P-1 immediately after the curve was assigned. Now the curve finished, but THAT CORE is taking P-1 assignments from PrimeNet.

Which is freaky! I reset all the things, work type, proxy, both on my computer and PrimeNet, I even edited all config files by hand, this freaking core continues to get P-1 assignments from PrimeNet directly (which appear in my PrimeNet page, and they are in the 69M), in the same time the other 3 cores are getting assignments from GPU72 (which are on 64M, and do not appear in my PrimeNet assignment list, but they do appear on gpu72).

Very skittish! I am getting nervous. Right now I solved very rudely, exited P95, went to PrimeNet and unreserved all P-1 (in the 69M, except the first which was started already by that core and is at the end of stage1), went to worktodo with a text editor and deleted all assignments for that core (except the first), then moved all the other assignements from all the other cores to this core then started P95, which got 3 cores worth of P-1 assignments from gpu72 (about 10 for each core, total ~30), and now everything is ok.

Crunching happily...

But it still freaks mo off, I thing one of Chris' minions is drunk...

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2013-12-05 at 15:42
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-05, 15:57   #57
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

23·1,103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
But it still freaks mo off, I thing one of Chris' minions is drunk...
Spidy never drinks. His author, on the other hand, sometimes does...

Can you PM me the name of the machine which did this? I'll drill down on the logs (everything passing through the proxy is logged for reasons like this) and try to figure out what happened.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-05, 16:47   #58
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

102538 Posts

Is it related to my problem? When changing work types G72 tends to give me work of the 2nd last type changed to. Making 3 changes with the 3rd as the preferred type seems to work. And it seems you need to send end dates with each change.
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-05, 17:21   #59
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

23·1,103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrw1 View Post
Is it related to my problem? When changing work types G72 tends to give me work of the 2nd last type changed to. Making 3 changes with the 3rd as the preferred type seems to work. And it seems you need to send end dates with each change.
It very well might be.

The communications between Prime95 and Primenet for work-type preferences seems to be a little unstable. When one changes the settings, it seems to help to be very explicit about having Prime95 communicate with Primenet immediately after each change.

When LaurV gives me the machine's name, I can drill down on the logs and see if I've made yet another SPE.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-06, 04:44   #60
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

22×5×419 Posts

The machine name is "pinch" and the third core is the one with drinking problem. If you look to my assignments report (on GPU72, I would give the link, but it can't be accessed without password, you can do it locally), you can see that all the assignments to pinch are on cores 1, 2, and 4. Nothing on core 3. There are 17 assignments to each core, for a total of 51. In reality, I have here 7 assignments on core 1, 2, 4 (totally 21) and the rest of 30 are (manually moved) on core 3

[edit: this because I made some "stock" by repeating the algorithm described in the post above: "(A) stop p95; (B) add all assignments from core 1, 2,4 to core 3; (C) delete them from cores 1,2,4; (D) restart p95". Every time when I restart, P95 will get new assignments on core 1,2,4 (6 or 7 each) from gpu72, in 64M range. Move them to core 3, repeat. If I do this for core 3 (move its worktodo somewhere else) this drunk core will get assignments in 69M, directly from PrimeNet. Your proxy is ignoring it. Now, the things are "under control" for the next 10-15 days when the "stock" will be depleted and I would need to do the "algorithm" again... grrrr]

What I did to cause this problem, in case I wasn't very clear in the first post, was changing the work type to ECM-F for 30 seconds, and this was weeks ago, and it was related to this problem (which by the way, will be fixed with the new web page, for the people who don't know, James is designing a new web page for GIMPS - I don't know if I am allowed to give the link public but I tested it, it looks much MUCH better and it is much faster! you don't need to wait ages when logging in like it is now, the new page will substitute the actual page soon, but please understand that such work is voluntarily done, and people also have real life).

After getting "my 1 curve to test", I switched back to P-1, it didn't took longer than 30 seconds for all the process. The curve ran for a week, is finished, and now the problem described in the other thread is "solved", i.e. I don't appear racing alone and arriving the second anymore, but after the curve finished, days ago, this core resumed taking P-1 assignments, but started taking them from PrimeNet.

Which I don't like, first because of the range, which is higher and not factored enough, and second because I don't get GPU72 credit for it, I like to see that lines on the graph rising... (otherwise I will never overtake kracker!)

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2013-12-06 at 05:01
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 21:33   #61
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

10000101010112 Posts

Down to the last 2 DC assignments.... Spidey... where are you?
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote